How do you handle people who TEXT you their gigs?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
first of all, this is really a bad look to me. come on, spamming yr friends' phones to promote yr gigs is crazy annoying. do any of you do that?i have one semi-friend who does that. someone i hung out with once, and have never been to any of his dj gigs. but i get like 2 massly distributed text messages everytime he plays a gig!! "COME TONITE!****$1 SHOTS UNTIL 10PM!!!!***LADIES FREE BEFORE 9!!!*****"how do i ask someone to take me off their list without them getting ass hurt

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dude... you say "plaese to stop spamming my phone"

I don't think that is out of line at all

Although spamming your phone definitely IS

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Ask them to send it to your email (But really to a spam email you might use).

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I got one of those the other week FROM ANOTHER STATE.

'Tis indeed

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    $1 shots?????

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

soulmarcosa?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Ask them to send it to your email (But really to a spam email you might use).

That said Ms_Damn, eventhough you don't live in this city, you should get on Missbassie's mailing list. Her upcoming gig emails are great and usually have a wicked Top Five list that I always enjoy reading!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    What bugs me is how so many people assume everyone else has a text messaging plan. It costs me money to receive a message. The worst was when my roommate was locked out of the house at 3 a.m. and he sent me about a dozen texts in a row. Shit gets kind of expensive.

• people still try to text message my land line.

• What bugs me is how so many people assume everyone else has a text messaging plan. It costs me money to receive a message. The worst was when my roommate was locked out of the house at 3 a.m. and he sent me about a dozen texts in a row. Shit gets kind of expensive.

What will it cost to upgrade your plan to unlimited text messages? a couple dollars? three? four maybe? Before a bought a Sidekick, I had never text messaged anyone in my life..now I would rather text most people instead of calling. You are able to get your message or point across without the bullshit chit chat. Personally, that is worth a few extra bucks a month.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

soulmarcosa?

Ulp! I knew there was a reason A*drey was calling this past Saturday. Sorry YOUNG TRAPPER

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    What bugs me is how so many people assume everyone else has a text messaging plan. It costs me money to receive a message. The worst was when my roommate was locked out of the house at 3 a.m. and he sent me about a dozen texts in a row. Shit gets kind of expensive.

What will it cost to upgrade your plan to unlimited text messages? a couple dollars? three? four maybe? Before a bought a Sidekick, I had never text messaged anyone in my life..now I would rather text most people instead of calling. You are able to get your message or point across without the bullshit chit chat. Personally, that is worth a few extra bucks a month.

that's not the point. txting someone is like sending them a fucking alarm clock bell to check out your gig which is mad annoying.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    pisses me off. makes me think i have new friends.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    haha, I have a homie that does this for every fucking gig, but I actually don't find it that annoying. I'm like oh? maybe I'll go! I dunno...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

If I'm not interested in the bullshit chit chat I won't call/answer. I'm sure text messaging is helpful for people with large social circles, but I prefer to keep mine small.

haha, I have a homie that does this for every fucking gig, but I actually don't find it that annoying. I'm like oh? maybe I'll go! I dunno...

i think we have in mind the same person

the thing is i'm his 'friend' on mysapce too, so i already know about his gig cause he posts a bulletin every day starting 3 days before the night of his show. so it's like 'dude i already know' then i get one of these messages promoting that shit, and it's SO LONG that it breaks it up into 3 seperate to-be-continued messages. so my phone goes off beeping like 3 times in a row!!

• I had one wake me this morning at 1:30am.

• just say you've changed your number...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    You just say, "Frank, email me instead."

who's frank?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    who's frank?

Damn, it's someone else? My bad. Neta and I were getting tons of text messages from R*sC/e+|p a while back and had to reply with a friendly "unsubscribe" request. Which is weird to do from your phone.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    If this dude is your semi-friend, why do you care if his ass gets hurt?

Just tell him to stop text messaging you his gigs and that it's annoying.

Man, I don't understand why people are so afraid of confrontation. It feels so good when you address conflict early and don't have to deal with it later. Sometimes it becomes addicting.

• sergserg 682 Posts

i think we have in mind the same person

the thing is i'm his 'friend' on mysapce too, so i already know about his gig cause he posts a bulletin every day starting 3 days before the night of his show. so it's like 'dude i already know' then i get one of these messages promoting that shit, and it's SO LONG that it breaks it up into 3 seperate to-be-continued messages. so my phone goes off beeping like 3 times in a row!!

man I got one of those motherfucker last night for the first time. I'm not sure how dude got my number but fuck that shit. I was like what the fuck is this shit. texting is for people who are too old to write notes.

if I get another one I'm going to start calling these motherfuckers back and yelling at them.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    GUILTY.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

If I'm not interested in the bullshit chit chat I won't call/answer. I'm sure text messaging is helpful for people with large social circles, but I prefer to keep mine small.

texting is fine for certain situations, inappropriate in others, regardless of social circle size.
    as for my text plan, it was $8/month unlimited, or $.10/text. I chose the latter, and its never topped $6. And, I made dinner reservations and met up with a friend I hadn't seen in a year in another city last weekend all on texting.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My flatmate was gonna dump her boyfriend of the last few months with a text, I told her she had to call.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

yeh. guilty here too.

i got in trouble for putting flyers on a few telephone polls a couple months ago... TXTing seems like an easy way to let people know about a gig without having to run off a ton of flyers. I understand the fact that some people don't have a TXT plan, but I don't think mass e-mails are any better.
    Promoting is not easy and usually isn't very fun either but its pretty necessary.

That said, I think 2 TXT msgs for one gig is pushing it and any more is overboard.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    A friend and DJ partner of mine does this, and it is kinda creepy, but he swears that it works. I dunno. I tried it once when the Dynamites with Charles Walker played Atlanta. A couple people came who might not have otherwise, but one of those people also walked up to me while I was DJing, shoved his phone in my face and asked "Was that YOU?!" I apologized and that was enough to break me of this practice. Last thing I need to do is piss off my friends this way. So I'm guilty and rehabilitated.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    I swear it works. I'm not texting just random heads in my phone though-it's my homies and folks who are likely to be out partying somewhere anyway. And it's def not on some 'ladies free til midnight' shit. more like come 'party with B!!!'. I could see how it would be whack if I dont really know these people.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Some guy text's me his electronic/IDM show sets, never made it to one though, kind of annoying. Although this morning, I slept through my alarm and was woken up by one of his texts. Saved the day and I made it to work just on time haha.