Options

wEEKEND fINDS

edited May 2006 in Strut Central
"Early Morning Rain" is killing it on the turntable as we speak.Dub/instrumetnal to Al Brown's Al gree cover "here I Am". much prefer playing this to the Brown.Treasure Isle classic gets disco-styled.Beats, yo.4 in 1 33rpm. Sounds great, too.KLiller funk track "Watch Me Move"Mono press.Modern soul Canadian raer.Toronto private press jazz from '82. bit ont he soft jazz side, but titled track is a beat waiting to happen.Y'all heard the Wailers cover of "Rolling Stone"?Burnin' r&B cut from Guyanese singer....backed by the Telstars.This is early.Soul/reggae don't get much better. A double.King Tubby.includes "Funky Broadway" w/ break amongst many others.K in Canada.

Comments

• sparrow power - s/t, donny hathaway - live, sir mix a lot - seminar, osibisa - s/t (flying elephant bats, ), fairport convention - what we did on our holiday, dr john - in the right place

tamalpais exchange lp, the mgs - s/t, spinners - mighty love, gueen - jazz, joe cocker - s/t, peoples choice - turn me loose

chesterfield kings - trippin out 10", music by william eaton lp (listening now ...mellow), luc cousineau lp, boyd mccoy - live (2 copies), c.j. & co - devils gun, donovan - the hurdy gurdy man

Actually I got these yesterday but whatever, it was the weekend for me.

S on the other side of Lake Ontario

• puppup 133 Posts
    $20 for everything you see here ... in Los Angeles, at that.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Record fair in Brisbane, turned up a few pieces... wanted to buy some more shit, but ran outta $$$$

David Baker - Jamey Aebersold LP
    Jay Dilla - House Shoes EP (YES!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Themes - New Blood Library LP
    Rock & Drums - Free LP (spare)
    Niemen - Enigmatic LP (Muza)
    Music DeWolfe - Inner Reflections LP
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Change Up The Groove LP
    Hummingbird - We Can't Go On Meeting Like This LP
    George & Gwen McCrae - Together LP
    George Duke - Reach For It LP
    Mandingo - The Primeval Of Life LP (spare)
    J.O.B. Orchestra - Open The Door To Your Heart LP (spare)
    Maiden - Australia LP (spare)
    Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme From Godfather LP (spare)
    El Topo - OST LP

Aussie Stuff;
    Boney & Stoney - EP
    Park Bench Royals - I Hate Hi-NRG 12"
    Roger Thwaites - Age Of Time LP
    Crossfire - East Of Where EP
    Russel Morris - Bloodstone LP
    Dove - Magic To Do LP

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    todays fleamarket find:

needs some cleaning...!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Bumping from page 3
    Finally, some decent platters in 10" format.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Garage sale finds 3 for a dollar, the western tech stage band has some nice covers(herbie hancock watermelon man)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i didnt go digging, but i found this:

• i didnt go digging, but i found this:

I love how the look on the female dogs face goes from happy to "well would you look at the time, I need to be going"

so far only one find, but its a moder piece that was on my perverbial "list"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    todays fleamarket find:

needs some cleaning...!

nice one, I actually have that keyboard. mine needs cleaning too...

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    i didnt go digging, but i found this:

Guess what ?! ...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

What up B***o!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    this is coming in the mail shortly. I'm very excited. I'm a sucker for good highlife.

• Options
    Bumping from page 3
    Finally, some decent platters in 10" format.

That Willie is dope double sider. Irie and Van Cleef are around.

Now find me Jackie Mittoo's "Sidewalk Doctor" on Music lab 10 plaese.

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    here's a cut-n-paste of my western swing last week:

Hey yall here's some pics from my swingin' boat party last week.

I mean, my leisurely vacation in the Bay Area.

beautiful SF

Record kingpins Cool Chris and Justin Torres

Jake One in action

Took some time to appreciate a gorgeous sunset after a productive day of digging

And now, the finds (well, some of the more interesting ones)

(jazz hands central)

(this 10" was the only record of note in a mostly white jazz snoozefest we found in a confederate flag-draped trailer park collection kept by a couple of well-intentioned meth heads)

(An unknown summer camp record I scored off Chris with one killer track of soulful folk)

(top THAT for greasy activator cover action)

(NYers can holler at me for copies of this one... could only grab a couple though. one of the best sweet soul tracks I've heard in a long time)

The rest already "made the wall"

and finally

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    this is coming in the mail shortly. I'm very excited. I'm a sucker for good highlife.

it's not highlife. mandingue stuff from guinea- quite different style. very nice stuff though. echoey guitars recorded most likely with a microphone hanging from an echo chamber- crappy quality- but the version of Samba will make up for it.
    enjoy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hit the streets for the first time in a few weeks.....slim pickings...

Rare local Cali press of beat/hippie poet

Local Dallas Free Jazz LP by Dennis Gonzalez

French Canadian LP by Pauline Julien

Esso Steel Band with cuts like "Shaft", "What's Goin' On" and "Soul Train".

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

it's not highlife. mandingue stuff from guinea- quite different style. very nice stuff though. echoey guitars recorded most likely with a microphone hanging from an echo chamber- crappy quality- but the version of Samba will make up for it.
    enjoy.

Samba is stunning... Super Boiro Band LPs are great. I need to work on finding myself a copy of this one.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Got this at the local shop today, along with some moder. The above seems to have a tune on it that sounds like an earlier jazzy tune with an intro reminiscent of the song Superfly on One Tooth Grin on the intro. Good stuff! Vibes galore.

• Options
    I can't stop listening

Latin?Jazz? via Jamaica.

K in Canada.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

(An unknown summer camp record I scored off Chris with one killer track of soulful folk)

I believe was hollering when I posted it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I got inspired by the "Non Raers You Slept On Post" & went & copped some of them this morning, I'm not disappointed. Anyways, The first ones up to the Sonny Simmons were courtesy of hcrink on a set sale, thanks. The BB King was the sole midweek find & the rest was what I got this morning. Always nice to replace cassettes with records which is what a couple of them are. The 45s are Brian Auger Happiness/Inner City Blues & Simon Dupree Part Of My Past/This Story Never Ends. I've been flicking past Simon Dupree 45s for ever & when SoulOnIce posted that LP I thought I better check it
    The LP that's blacked out between Small Faces & Spirit is Jimmy Smith Mojo Workin'. I swapped that Joe Tex with the guy at the listening station beside me for a Yardbirds Greatest Hits I was going to pick up.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

excellent, thanks

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    A few weekday + this morning finds. A good day for these parts. I have been playing Sparky the Piano for people all day and that's probably the one I can't get enough of. If someone could tell me what old schol hh song says at the end "Your time is up I will no longer Play.. For.. You" I would appreciate it. Racking my brain all day. If that isn't ringing a bell I will ul it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    BDK-Ooh Aah Nah Nah Nah

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That Elis Regina is a nice record.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    unexpected 'hey this used bookstore ive never seen before has tons of crates of cheap records but i only have 20 minutes to look' finds:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd call it a good weekend

All from the same regular spot, out of nowhere as these
    things will sometimes happen:

Tons of nice shit here, a few heavy wants scratched off the mental list.
    Ohio Players superpak is even a long time want, at least, I was always
    frustrated that neither of those budget comps ("Early Impressions" etc) of their
    60's work for Compass ever seemed to show up...this one is a double LP set with
    all of that shit, and the vinyl is mint. Sometimes budget records are the
    hook up.
    I passed over later reissues of that Don & Dewey set a few times, hoping
    to find the 1970 "OG." I'm glad I waited, cause it's a really quality press,
    super heavy vinyl with a deep groove and dope old school Specialty label.
    More than worth tracking down for any R&B headz.
    Rezillos I've wanted for years, such a cool album. Real headz know, etc.
    Seeing the Montclairs & Howard Tate appear in a spot I'm in 3 times
    a week had my eyes popping out of my head. Good timing on my part, I know
    that shit wouldn't have lasted the weekend.

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    Now find me Jackie Mittoo's "Sidewalk Doctor" on Music lab 10 plaese.

K.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I love that Rezillos LP as well.