The boy star is fucked in the game

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Hip-Hop Radio D.J. Arrested for On-Air Threats By AL BAKERPublished: May 12, 2006 A syndicated disc jockey with one of the city's leading hip-hop radio stations was arrested this afternoon for making on-air threats to track down and sexually abuse the 4-year-old daughter of a rival, the police said. Skip to next paragraph Enlarge this Image Angel Franco/The New York TimesTroi Torain, known as D.J. Star, was arrested for threatening to sexually abuse the 4-year-old daughter of a rival, police said. Troi Torain, the disc jockey known by the name D.J. Star, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, the Manhattan district attorney's office said. Law enforcement officials had launched an investigation into his remarks on Thursday after reviewing a transcript of his recent rants about D.J. Envy and his family.The police called Mr. Torain to police headquarters in Lower Manhattan this afternoon and ordered him to surrender his target pistol license and his weapon, a .9-millimeter handgun, they said. When he arrived, he was arrested by detectives from the police department's Hate Crimes Unit, they said.Benjamin Brafman, Mr. Torain's lawyer, said he would issue a public comment on the arrest later today.Mr. Torain's arrest comes a day after widespread complaints about his May 3 on-air tirade against D.J. Envy, a rival.On Wednesday night he was dismissed by WWPR-FM, known as Power 105, one of the top-rated stations in the city. The station, owned by Clear Channel Communications of San Antonio, also apologized to anyone offended by the comments.The next day, City Councilman Peter F. Vallone Jr., of Queens, a former prosecutor and the head of he Public Safety Committee, sent a letter with a transcript of D.J. Star's remarks directly to Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly. Another City Council member also sent a letter alleging that what the disc jockey said amounted to a hate crime, the police said.At a news conference earlier that day, City Council members, who said they had been contacted by the wife of the rival, D.J. Envy, played an excerpt from a May 3 broadcast in which Mr. Torain mentioned D.J. Envy's wife and two children and threatened to track down and sexually abuse his daughter, who is 4. D.J. Envy works for WQHT-FM, known as Hot 97."I will come for your kids," Mr. Torain, 42, said in the excerpt, adding that he would pay $500 to anyone who told him where the girl attended school. On Thursday, council members held a second news conference and insisted that they would not be satisfied unless Mr. Torain was prosecuted. The lawmakers have also called for a Federal Communications Commission investigation.Today, Mr. Vallone, the father of two girls, ages 10 and 12, said he was pleased by news of the arrest."We needed this arrest to send a clear signal that society won't put up with this despicable type of behavior," he said.He said many members of the council were "more than disgusted" by Mr. Torain's remarks.Sewell Chan and Lola Ogunnaike also contributed reporting for this article.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who is Star?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    this dude is getting worse than R.Kelly! And the "Arrruhhh" actually touched an underage girl(s).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Star Kelly - Best Worst of Both Worlds

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Star Kelly - Best Worst of Both Worlds

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    He deserves it. I understand people saying he's a shock jock etc.. but come on, he's a grown man. He's not stupid. YOU DON'T SAY THAT.

I see a lot of teen to 21 year olds saying it's funny and to lighten up. But I can't see how any adult could thing it's anything less then disturbing.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    anyone know why star and envy where beef'n?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Come on now, this arrest is bullshit.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    anyone know why star and envy where beef'n?

I thought this thread was about me... sike...

In Philly his show came on at 6am and personally It was real uncomfortable to listen to his type of humor that early... Steve Harvey however is the man, I love his show...

I dont think star really needs a reason to go off on somebody... I'm still laughing at how he dug in Big Tiggers butt and got at Prodigy all those years ago... mp3's exist..

• dayday 9,612 Posts

he dug in Big Tiggers butt and got at Prodigy all those years ago... mp3's exist..

SUPERHEAD related ???

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

SUPERHEAD related ???

nah... I don't think so...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

[kidding][kidding]

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Come on now, this arrest is bullshit.

He offered $500 to find out where dude's kid went to schoool. This isn't an issue of "taste."

If somebody yelled that in the street I'd hope somebody took notice. And on air? come on. stupidity.

This is America and you can say whatever, you want, but he sounded pretty sincere. Pretty indefensible.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This is America and you can say whatever, you want but he sounded pretty sincere.

Perhaps to someone who's not familar with his schtick.

Did he take it to far? Absolutely. He should be fined, fired and banned from radio. But the arrest is some bullshit.

Remind me - how many times has Howard Stern been arrested?

Exactly - Shit is fuckin hype.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    This is America and you can say whatever, you want but he sounded pretty sincere.

Perhaps to someone who's not familar with his schtick.

Did he take it to far? Absolutely. He should be fined, fired and banned from radio. But the arrest is some bullshit.

How many times has Howard Stern threatened to track down, piss and "skeet" on a four year old?

Legally, I don't know what kind of law was broken other than threatening harm to a child. I think they're trying to make a point moreso than him actually going to jail.

Fuck that dude, though. I could'nt give a fuck what happens to him.

Im surprised this thread went this long. Star is inconsequential to the pop landscape. U mofos dont realy care what happens to his "voice". Let it go!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Exactly - Shit is fuckin hype.

I'm lost. Howard offered his listeners money to find out where someones under age child goes to school, so he could rape her?

I understand that he might not have been serious amount making that statement. But thats not to say he might have potentially endangered that child by some sicko out there.

I believe the endangering the welfare of a child case has merit.

I'm sure anyone might be arrested for talking about having a gun and what you might do with it and also talking that way about a child.

• Remind me - how many times has Howard Stern been arrested?

How many times has Howard Stern threatened to track down, piss and "skeet" on a four year old?

Legally, I don't know what kind of law was broken other than threatening harm to a child. I think they're trying to make a point moreso than him actually going to jail.

these are the words of a father, therefore they carry a lot of meaning.

if some dude went on public airwaves and put a bounty out to find the location of your young child so that he could piss or skeet on them I'm sure many of y'all wouldn't be cool with that.

Publicity stunt or not dudes a sick fuck and needs a fucking reminder about the responsibility one carries as a public figure.

YOU DON'T JOKE ABOUT SHIT LIKE THIS

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

these are the words of a father, therefore they carry a lot of meaning.

if some dude went on public airwaves and put a bounty out to find the location of your young child so that he could piss or skeet on them I'm sure many of y'all wouldn't be cool with that.

Publicity stunt or not dudes a sick fuck and needs a fucking reminder about the responsibility one carries as a public figure.

YOU DON'T JOKE ABOUT SHIT LIKE THIS

Not to mention how so many people are clamping down on pedophiles lately. The dude probably wasn't serious but in todays society authorities aren't taking chances. Regardless of what has or will happen to this guy he's a pussy for even suggesting he'd take out his adult beef on an innocent child. I'm not a parent but can imagine how parents feel about this guy.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

This is basically all that needs to be said on this subject.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

This is basically all that needs to be said on this subject.

what a cock.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Not to mention how so many people are clamping down on pedophiles lately.

"We set up a similar situation where we are videotaping people thinking they're gonna meet little kids. When they get there, it's gonna be me and [my manger] Big Joe like, 'What the hell are you doing, you damn pervert? What the f--- is wrong with you, coming to meet a 13-year-old boy?' We're gonna talk to them and not let them leave until we find out what's wrong with them."

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Legally, I don't know what kind of law was broken

threatening harm to a child.

You still don't think that's enough for dude to have been cuffed?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Star is an entertainer. It is assumed that any and everything that is said on his show is done in jest and is more or less in character. For whatever reason society seems to have difficulty seperating black entertainment from reality.

Star is an entertainer. It is assumed that any and everything that is said on his show is done in jest and is more or less in character. For whatever reason society seems to have difficulty seperating black entertainment from reality.

Trust me, I'd have every reason in the world to make this a race issue. But, ANYONE who makes threats on a child/person's life sould be taken into police custody! Am I naive to believe a white dude who said the same thing wouldn't have their card pulled as well?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Am I naive to believe a white dude who said the same thing wouldn't have their card pulled as well?

I can't seem to recall any other shock jocks being slapped with criminal charges for on air comments. Perhaps lawstrut can counter?

Am I naive to believe a white dude who said the same thing wouldn't have their card pulled as well?

I can't seem to recall any other shock jocks being slapped with criminal charges for on air comments.

There is a difference between lewd remarks and making threats on a person's life though, the latter of which is grounds for arrest. That's a pretty basic concept to me.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    There is a difference between lewd remarks and making threats on a person's life though, the latter of which is grounds for arrest. That's a pretty basic concept to me.

I am certain Howard Stern if not some of the lesser shock jocks have threatened peoples lives on air before.

• Star is an entertainer. It is assumed that any and everything that is said on his show is done in jest and is more or less in character. For whatever reason society seems to have difficulty seperating black entertainment from reality.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Dude got on the radio and spurred third parties to put the safety a four year-old child at risk. Human beings are responsible for the consequences of their actions and it's not at all farfetched that some peabrained douchebag listening to the radio in Queens would have gone and stalked this kid, or kidnapped the kid, menaced the kid, etc. Star didn't go on the radio and simply make a controversial statement, rather he urged folks to aid him in causing harm to a child. Whether he intended to follow through on those threats (and I don't believe for a second that he did) what he did was the equivalent of crying "fire" in a crowded theater. This has nothing to do with "black entertainment", get out of here with that shit, it has everything to do with someone acting with negligent disregard for the possible consequences of their speech.