O-DUB'S move to LA

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I want to know more about it...Is this a natural progression or is it like reverse polarity... Two magnets rubbing together that vibrate with resistance and intensity.How will O-Dub feel about the LA after years of the Bay?Will he love the freeway system?Will he become a fixture of the LA hip hop scene?Where will he reside?" I need more information ".ap

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Can't be any worse than when Iron Monkey moved to Anaheim.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Will he eat mescaline, grow a beard, and become a full-time surfer/guru?

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    Nobody should move to Anahiem unless they are previously homeless and from Haiti or The Sudan. That place sucks on the hairy ballsac.

Will he eat mescaline, grow a beard, and become a full-time surfer/guru?

I already got this on lock.

Will it be Pepperdine? USC? Loyola?

Will it be Echo Park? Silverlake? The Westside?

Let's hear it. Real heads want to know the deal.

I need a moment.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I just want to know if O-Dub will become connected to the L.A. streets! Will he start pushing a low rider? Wear Dickies & locs? Get Mr. Cartoon tats? Get a baby mama named "Lupe?" Join a gang? Grown his hair out and rock a Jheri curl or finger waves? What's really good Oliver?

Will he visit Project Blowed?

Will it be Public or Private schools O-Dub? You know the LAUSD is .

Real heads want to know the deal.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Will he visit Project Blowed?

If he does, will he pack a gun in his backpack?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    yeah, O, where are you teaching at???

can your baby be friends with Anthony's baby?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Real Headz Wanna Know?

1. I spend a lot of time in L.A. as it is. Don't forget, I grew up there, spent my "formative years" out by Pasadena (which is both LA and not LA) so it's not like Los Angeles is some strange beast I've never encountered. I used to be on some "Fuck LA!" tip but in th years since, I've reached a peace with the good sides and bad sides of the Southland. Not to say that moving back down there won't rekindle my "Fuck LA!" attitude, but who knows?

2. Freeways - I grew up driving the 110. I might still end up on the 110 depending on where I live to get to Long Beach. It's dangerous and shitty but man, as long as I don't have to fuck with that slice of hell known as the 405, I'm straight.

3. LA hip-hop scene - Project Blizznowed, batches! Every day, all day. Seriously though, I'd like to get back into spinning out more. I've done Rootdown once (RIP Dusk, that shit bummed me out), Funky Sole once. Maybe I'm just tired of the SF scene, but shit in LA seemed to be a lot more poppin'.

I digress however. In terms of LA hip-hop, sheet, all I wanna know is if I get to go digging with Young Ein and Thes.

4. Residentials - Seriously, I HAVE NO IDEA. Wifey and I have been struggling with this for months and we're not really any closer to figuring shit out. These are the criteria (prospective realtors/renting agents take notice):

A) South of the 10, West of the 110.

B) Within 30 minutes of Hermosa Beach (where my wife's sister lives), within 60 minutes of Long Beach

C) At least a 2 BD, preferably less than $1500/mo.

D) Stand-alone house (vs. condo or apt) preferred.

E) Good elementary schools in the area. Bonus if they offer Spanish or Chinese immersion programs.

F) And personally, I want a lil place in the hills. I LOVE Mt. Washington but wifey's not really feeling me on that and location-wise, it isn't that great.

If this actually fits some real place in L.A., holla!

5. No mescaline, I already have a beard, and definitely NOT A SURFER (or guru).

6. It will be CSU-Long Beach.

7. No low rider. Does my Prius count? No Dickies or loc but I can do khakis and a white tee if it's warm enough. No tats, not even from Mr. Cartoon (I might rock his kicks though). Already have a baby mama but her name's not Lupe. No gangs. (And no more LBC jokes, please. Shit is tired). No gangs. No Jheri curls.

8. The public/private school debate, according to what I've been reading, is actually a false dichotomy. If you adjust for socioeconomic status, the supposed advantages of private school go *poof*. In other words, it's not that private school is inherently better, it's that parents who send their kids to private school are more likely to be of a socioeconomic class that promotes educational values and good learning habits.

That said, I don't know if this study was done in LAUSD, which is, as Anthony noted, a wee bit more taxed than other ones. Right now though, I'm leaning towards public. Being a professor doesn't pay the kind of ends to make private school that easy. Besides, I was a public school kid from K --> PhD and look at how I turned out.

Uhhh...

9. I only pack gats in the back of the Ac, not the rucksack.

10. And yes, I'd love for Ella to kick it with the Pearson baby. They can grow up to complain how their daddies abandoned them for rekkids.

Ella says "hi" in the meantime:

I want to know more about it...

Is this a natural progression or is it like reverse polarity... Two magnets rubbing together that vibrate with resistance and intensity.

How will O-Dub feel about the LA after years of the Bay?

Will he love the freeway system?

Will he become a fixture of the LA hip hop scene?

Where will he reside?

" I need more information ".

ap

JERRY DUMPHY WILL ROK YOUR AZZ

Didn't he die a few years back?

• Can't be any worse than when Iron Monkey moved to Anaheim.

MIA

*dr**n PHONE HOME

HE STILL WILL ROCK YOU... ALONG WITH DR. GEORGE AND THE REST OF THEMS FOLLS.

• JERRY DUMPHY WILL ROK YOUR AZZ

FUCK DALLAS RAINES & JOHNNY MOUNTAIN

This private mind garden speak is making me scurred.

• JERRY DUMPHY WILL ROK YOUR AZZ

This private mind garden speak is making me scurred.

it'll all make sense after a proper dose of smog and traffic.

I think you mean you want to live North of the 10 Freeway. Correct?

If you want to live South of the 10 you should be able to find a good place for a bit of a better price. My favorite area South of the 10 by far is Lemerit Park. That area is really nice.

If you choose to live in the general Koreatown / Macarthur Park or anywhere between the 10 and the 101 and the 110 and LaBrea you will live in a very dense area and you might have trouble getting through traffic on a daily basis. If you have to drive to Long Beach everyday this may not be advised.

You can get to Hermosa and Long Beach within 30 minutes and 60 minutes from pretty much anywhere in the general LA area.

You might be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment in Los Feliz for $1500. Los Feliz is nice and the freeway is near there. Your wife might like it if she dislikes Mt. Washington. Most people from San Francisco like it because it is most like " The City ".

You might also like the area of Fairfax and Wilshire. Lots of old nice buildings.

You can have Ramona and Mines APT that we are living in right now if you want. We are getting ready to move back to our house that we are building on to...

It is a 2 bedroom on the Westside. Old Spanish style. Nice. Upstairs unit... Lots of birds chirping and stuff like that. The location is Beverly Glen and Pico. 10 Minutes from Westwood, 5 minutes from the 10 Freeway. It has been quite comfortable for the three of us. It is fairly large. We leave here July 1st. I think you might like it. It is $1700. Holla.

ap

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Welcome back!

I think you mean you want to live North of the 10 Freeway. Correct?

You might be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment in Los Feliz for $1500. Los Feliz is nice and the freeway is near there. Your wife might like it if she dislikes Mt. Washington. Most people from San Francisco like it because it is most like " The City ".

It is a 2 bedroom on the Westside. Old Spanish style. Nice. Upstairs unit... Lots of birds chirping and stuff like that. The location is Beverly Glen and Pico. 10 Minutes from Westwood, 5 minutes from the 10 Freeway. It has been quite comfortable for the three of us. It is fairly large. We leave here July 1st. I think you might like it. It is $1700. Holla.

ap

You know? I may very well holler at you about your APT. Maybe I can send my sister in law through to check it out. The price is a bit higher than we'd like but at this point, we just want to find a "nice place" and I figure if it's good enough for your family, it's probably a'ight. You got space (garage/basement) for rekkids?

But I did mean SOUTH of the 10 since I don't want to have to deal with 405 traffic (though, with your apt, I won't have a choice) nor trying to drive through dense city streets to get to a freeway. Los Feliz is a nice neighborhood but I'd have to take the 101 to either the 110 or 710 and to me, the 101 and 405 are equally evil.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    yo oliver, what about monterey park? right close to the 710. i mean, its not as historic as the westside, but i actually like the sgv right outside of downtown. in the past few years theyve really gussied up alhambra. its like what old town was 10 years ago. except more chinese folks.

Monterey Park
    Alhambra
    South Pasadena
    El Segundo
    Santa Monica
    Westwood
    Lemeirt Park
    El Sereno
    Downtown LA
    West LA
    Mar Vista
    Atwater

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    angeleno heights
    chavez ravine

relatively accessible, historic and BEAUTIFUL. plus i dont think youll have a problem with spanish immersion anywhere on the east side. chinese immersion in chavez ravine, alhambra, mp, possibly city terrace (which i kinda like).

i dont really know westside neighborhoods. i rarely cross fairfax. but im trying to get comfortable with the idea.

wussup AP!

yo oliver, what about monterey park? right close to the 710. i mean, its not as historic as the westside, but i actually like the sgv right outside of downtown. in the past few years theyve really gussied up alhambra. its like what old town was 10 years ago. except more chinese folks.

I'm trying to avoid the SG Valley. The location isn't ideal but more importantly - I grew up there. I'm not really trying to move back if I can help it.

But I'll check out the other hoods you mentioned, I appreciate the suggestions.

And AP - got your PM. I shall holla back.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Lemeirt Park

Lemeirt Park

Lemeirt Park

why is this up for debate again?

oh, and O: plaese to get familiar; it's Blizz -nye-iz-[/b] nowed.

anyway we'll miss you (not that I personally have seen you in like five years). but you know what I mean.

• David_GDavid_G 60 Posts
    the hairy ballsac.

plaese to get familiar; it's Blizz -nye-iz-[/b] nowed.

The funny thing is, I was reading my post again and realized, "hmmm...actually, it was more syllables than that" but I was too lazy to go back and change it. I'm scared that I actually know this.

And scared that you do too.

Where is Leimart Park again?

peacey weacey,

Oliver

plaese to get familiar; it's Blizz -nye-iz-[/b] nowed.

The funny thing is, I was reading my post again and realized, "hmmm...actually, it was more syllables than that" but I was too lazy to go back and change it. I'm scared that I actually know this.

And scared that you do too.

Where is Leimart Park again?

peacey weacey,

Oliver

Why would you be scared to actually know something about some gritty, street-level, community-based hip-hop?

Project Blowed STILL pops off weekly. You should already know which night.

Leimert Park is located at Crenshaw and 43rd. Bring your chess board.

• Los Angeles? thats in New York innit?