how big is the world cup 2006 hyped in the US?

sconesscones 434 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
gonna be in NYC on the day of Englands first game and id like to watch it; only prob is that its gonna be at 9am ESTdo i have a hope in hell in being able to catch it??

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, there's a bar that shows all the games. BigSpliff knows where it's at, I forget the name of it.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    9am drinking, it feels like the last world cup! (7am games GMT)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The world what?

• Options
    Yeah, there's a bar that shows all the games. BigSpliff knows where it's at, I forget the name of it.

I think it's Nevada Smiths.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

I think it's Nevada Smiths.

You're right!

http://www.grahamecurtis.com/nevadasmiths/footfixture.html

Thanks a lot, i just remembered id be staying w/ a friend who probably has cable so i can always watch at home.

cheers for the info thou.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    What is this going to be broadcast on in the US? I don't have cable and as someone who enjoys watching the World Cup but does not follow it that much, the Nevada Smith's crowd always has scared me. That and going to bars at 9 am.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    gonna be in NYC on the day of Englands first game and id like to watch it; only prob is that its gonna be at 9am EST

do i have a hope in hell in being able to catch it??

In America soccer is the game of the future...

and it always will be.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "how big is the world cup 2006 hyped in the US?"

Not enough

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://www.livesoccertv.com/

you can keep track w/ that site to see which network is playing what.........Rooney out for 6 weeks is not a good rook.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Im a big pessimist so i dont think england ever had the best chance to win it, even with rooney, teams like italy france brazil are more of a complete team imo, but yeah its shit hes injured. owen is supposed to be back sooner tho and sven said rooney is def. in the squad if there is a remote chance he will be fit for part of the campaign. it would be ill if he gets back fit for the final and scores the winning goal

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    http://www.livesoccertv.com/

you can keep track w/ that site to see which network is playing what.........Rooney out for 6 weeks is not a good rook.

Thanks.

And to answer the post's original question, I don't recall seeing anything about the World Cup, even in New York. The only time I get any info about it is when I seek it out online. At least Germany as the host makes for some better air times than 2002. Watching games at 3 am got rough sometimes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Most bars show it on the telly. Especially the "immigrant" ones. All over Queens, cats are peepin' it.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

Not enough

You should be soo happy.
    I can't stand the hype around this here in germany any more.
    Every commercial on TV has something to do with soccer and every 2nd product is official sponsor of the WM2006.
    I wouldn't be surprised about a Ladyshave, that's an official sponsor...

Not enough

You should be soo happy.
    I can't stand the hype around this here in germany any more.
    Every commercial on TV has something to do with soccer and every 2nd product is official sponsor of the WM2006.
    I wouldn't be surprised about a Ladyshave, that's an official sponsor...

Well, I'm in Canada. There's very lil hype. But we get tons of games on the tube (My brit friends tell me it's better than in the UK). I'm sure the cup will be great for actual game coverage.

But I'm betting from when I've lived in the states that the hype is very much

Football there is pretty much on par with lawn bowling in the US.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

No.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I would say the hype for the world cup is hovering bellow the hype for the NHL playoffs, which means there isn't any.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I forgot that there is in fact one commercial on tv featuring soccer, but it offends me as a baseball fan. It is a gatorade commercial that, like all commercials featuring soccer in the US, seems to be trying hard to convince us that the sport is exciting despite the reality of low scores, faked injuries and ties. It does this by showing enthralling soccer while playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" which bothers me in that soccer might be trying to usurp baseball as America's favorite boring sport.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

No.

LOL

seriously though when does the actual tournament start? or for that matter any nationally broadcast games gonna be on? i am interested.

June 9th.

Costa Rica takes on Germany.

Poland VS Ecuador

cool. thanks! so wait, what are all of the games leading up to those games? preliminary rounds to get into the tournament?

Umm.. yeah.. But there are also just "Friendlies"

ah ic. soccer is cool too. from a drunken italian guy, i heard that "Toti" is supposed to be the guy for Italy?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    they still have the world cup? hmmm

i don't remember it even getting very much hype the time it was IN the US... i played soccer in college, and i don't think i've ever even watched a whole match on television

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

LOL

seriously though when does the actual tournament start? or for that matter any nationally broadcast games gonna be on? i am interested.

This will help.
    All dates in this excel-sheet. plus if you always type in the scores, you'll get all the standings and the pairings for the finals.

Soccer is a great game.

whatcha yall know about Denilson blowing past 3 defenders, or for that matter 5?

BATI GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL

so tell me Euro dudes, which players on which teams should i watch for???

they still have the world cup? hmmm

Of course they do. Football is the biggest sport in the world. Only in the US & Canada is it not popular. In the rest of the world it's friggin' HUGE.

i'll admit though, it's once every 4 years that my interest in soccer peaks.
    Last time, Bati was hot. France, (who hosted?), and were favorites lost, and my roommate who bandwagoned was hella disappointed.

Last time, Bati was hot. France, (who hosted?), and were favorites lost, and my roommate who bandwagoned was hella disappointed.

Japan & South Korea hosted last time. France was 1998.

I really enjoyed last world cup (Eventhough my team played like shit). Lil Korea town was crazyyyyy after they beat spain in the Quarterfinals. Was fun to witness part of bloor st shut down.

Japan & South Korea hosted last time. France was 1998.

I really enjoyed last world cup (Eventhough my team played like shit). Lil Korea town was crazyyyyy after they beat spain in the Quarterfinals. Was fun to witness part of bloor st shut down.

oh yea that's right. Japan and S. Korea made it to the top 8.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    from a drunken italian guy, i heard that "Toti" is supposed to be the guy for Italy?

Francesco Totti, Roma forward and one of the big stars on the Italian team:

Just made his comeback after a serious leg injury in February.