Record store back room/basement

13»

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I used to jock the owner of Jukebox World in OKC because he told me he had a _warehouse_ (not a storage unit) of records somewhere. He told me about how the 'English' used to fly out there and pick through his surplus. I courted him for at least two years, but he never let me in (no ayo). The 'English' came out in '91 by his recollection; this was ten years later! Surely I can get in there now! But I never did. Dude was still cool, the first country/square-dance collector I ever met.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

What really irks me, though, is when there are things out on the floor with everything else that are not for sale. Not "not priced yet", just "not for sale." Then put it away or put a big "not for sale" sign on it. Ass.

JRoot

This happened to me this afternoon at Cosmos.

Why is it on the floor if I can't buy it?

It wasn't even 'funky-blackman-soul-breakz-samplez' shit.

It was Paul Chambers' 'Go' on a later pressing Vee-Jay.

Cosmos? You don't say?!? lol That only happend to me in Cosmos...umm...pretty much every fuck'n time I was there.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    What's the new store?

I haven't been to Cosmos since the year it opened, I didn't realize he was doing that good. He put them both on the same street?

Toronto people... What part of the city is lacking a record store?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Oh and let's not get started on the exaggeration. "A million records" == maybe a thousand country and ez listening. If you are a dealer and you have quality, you don't need to brag about numbers.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    What's the new store?

I haven't been to Cosmos since the year it opened, I didn't realize he was doing that good. He put them both on the same street?

Toronto people... What part of the city is lacking a record store?

You should check out the new one. It's pretty impressive. We should meet up and hit some food too.

As far as a store, I'm not sure where. Kev probably has a better thought on where. I'd like to put one up in the market, but most would probably disagree with me.

I've got tons of pics from being there while building. I pulled out a random pull from a shelf. I almost dropped a load in my pants.

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    What's the new store?

It's bananas. It's not really open yet. Hence maybe why stuff out on the floor wasn't priced.

It's about 4 times the size of the other store. It's about a block away and it's called Cosmos West.

The basement/backroom is filled with some crazy shit. Once it's done it will be one really nice store.

Yeah, it was at Cosmos West.

He actually sold the record denied to me yesterday by the dude working there for $20, so I can't really hatt on dude.

Besides, he opened the store just for my friend and I to dig this afternoon (he's not even officially open until Wednesday).

That store is/will be fucking insane. People can call Cosmos/Cosmos West pricey, but at least folks are hella nice and the stock is second to none.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Oh and let's not get started on the exaggeration. "A million records" == maybe a thousand country and ez listening. If you are a dealer and you have quality, you don't need to brag about numbers.

Talked to a guy last week who told me "must be 2,000,000 old 45s here". He said he had tons of Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc, so I assumed it could be good. Made arrangements to meet, and on the phone that morning, he brought the estimate down to 1,000,000. We met in a parking lot, where he told me "I overestimated, its more like 200,000. We arrived to the location where the records were.... and it was 4 pallets of mid to late 90s pop and rock hit 45s and reissues. Probobly about 6000 45s.

What a waste of a fucking day that was.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Some jerk off out here emails me and says come out to his shop he just aquired 20k 12" disco singles and 4k funk 45's from an old dj. So I head over and he shows me a bunch of VHS tapes and some crappy country records. I say ok where is the stuff you just got that u emailed me about? He says oh thats all in storage and it's gonna take me a while to get to it and check back in a month or so I should have some of it out by then! what a tool.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    WOW what a good post very good stories!!!

Some jerk off out here emails me and says come out to his shop he just aquired 20k 12" disco singles and 4k funk 45's from an old dj. So I head over and he shows me a bunch of VHS tapes and some crappy country records. I say ok where is the stuff you just got that u emailed me about? He says oh thats all in storage and it's gonna take me a while to get to it and check back in a month or so I should have some of it out by then! what a tool.

Perhaps the jerk off wanted you to jerk him off???, seems odd somone would do somthing like that but this is the record community...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Talked to a guy last week who told me "must be 2,000,000 old 45s here". He said he had tons of Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc, so I assumed it could be good. Made arrangements to meet, and on the phone that morning, he brought the estimate down to 1,000,000. We met in a parking lot, where he told me "I overestimated, its more like 200,000. We arrived to the location where the records were.... and it was 4 pallets of mid to late 90s pop and rock hit 45s and reissues. Probobly about 6000 45s.

What a waste of a fucking day that was.

I always divide by 10 whenever a guy tells me he has anything more than 1,000 records.

Recently I went to a place that NRich and CoolHands had been to....older guy in his 60's-70's and just a "Good 'Ol Boy" as they say here in Tejas.....told me he had 45,000 45's......N*th*n and D**e had gone through his LP's and had some luck so I was expecting something halfway decent.

Guy takes me to a new house being built and it filled with records....definitely between 25K & 45K.......I went through about 1/2 of them and picked out 2 records. He had two large lots of records, one from a 50's Pop radio station...hard core Mitch Miller for days....the other was a late 70's-mid-80's Country stash with many multiple copies of crap. That was about 80% of what was there and the rest looked like old Flea Market leftovers.

He told me a guy was gonna buy them all and I told him if he was offered a few grand to take it.

Then unfortunately they will belong to yet another guy who thinks he's gonna make money on them......and he won't.....unless they think of a new use for 45's other than listening to them.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Classic B0mp

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've gotten to look in the back at a warehouse with 2 million records. Lots of NM and sealed rarer. Psych, funk, soul, folk, 45s.
    Enough about visiting Craig Moerer.

Truthfully, I can't think of a single behind the counter/basement/storage unit/backroom where I walked away with mindblowing records.
    It's just more records, if you are not digging in the bins and finding stuff to buy, don't bother asking about the back.

I did get to go through one guys stock shortly before he opened his store. I might have paid his first months rent.

• In a city I used to live in about 8 years ago, I used to go to this one shop once every couple weeks, and would always spend $30-$50 every time, usually getting a few things from the new arrivals. Not huge spending but after almost a year I had developed a relationship with a couple of the folks who worked there.

When I was about to move, I went in to do one last look-through and told them I was about to be leaving town for good. They said that since I wouldn't be around any more, if I wanted to I could look through their basement where all of the records were that they hadn't gotten to clean & price yet. The deal was if I found a lot of stuff I could get a cheap price on everything––I forget now but I think it was like $1 or $2 per 45 and $3 per LP.

I canceled my plans for the next day and got to the shop when they opened, finished going through the whole basement just before they closed. Ended up with a pile of ~100 45s and ~30 LPs. No mega crazy raers but almost all stuff that would cost $30-$50 to get today plus a good number of local 45s that I've never seen since.
    RAJTom_Doc_Delay