New Orleans Digs - 45 help needed!!

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Just got back this morning from a week in New Orleans at a mate wedding and digging for records.Had a great time and New Orleans is a cool perty town. I was however, considering its musical heritage, a little disappointed with the record stores. having said this I still managed to come home with a bag of records.Gotta say a big thank you to Ari who is a local and a Soulstrutter who really went out of his way to show me around. I really appreciate it!!If anyone has any info on any of these particularly the 45's then let me know (value, history, etc)LP'sManaged to trade around 20 Vulture classics (inc Big Jim H's!!) for the the following three LP's, the rest were bought around town.Manu Dibango - Kusini - Great rare private press soundtrack - doubleThe Meters - StruttinThe Meters - Look-Ka Py PyCurtis Amy - Mustang - Really solid funky jazz LP from start to finish - doubleBilly Taylor - OK Billy - One cool funk track on here - doubleAl Hirt - Soul in the Horn - De la Soul Sample plus othe bits - doubleLuis Gasca - Collage - Funky latin JazzBobby Hutcherson - Montara - Another great funky latin LP101 Strings - Sounds of Today - Psych sitar tracks ala Animated Egg - doubleSoundtrack - The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob - Found 2 sealed copies - doubleManolo Gas - A Todo Gas - Spanish funker, his best LP, sealed - doubleGuerra 78 - Soul Makossa - Funky latin LPFound 4 sealed copies of a Guatemalan psych latin funk LP that is going to be huge. Just got to do some research first.45's (Help Needed) - Most of these were found deep in the hood in the attic of an old record store. This place has probably had tons of guys looking through it but still has loads of goodies. I looked at around a 20th of the stock. Most are unplayed stock copies. $6 each.Soul Survivors - Expressway to your Heart / Hey Gyp - Crimson recordsThe Swordsmen - Hip Thang / I'm so Glad - RCAAndwella - I Got a Woman / Worlds End - DunhillHank Marr - The Market Place / Smothered Soul - 4 unplayed copiesBobby Powell - Into my Own Thing / Love Man - WhitThe Meters - Good Ole Funky Music / Sassy Lady - JosieDynamic Corvettes - Funky Music is the Thing - AbetArchie Bell and the Drells - Tighten UP - AtlanticMarie Franklin - You Ain't Changed - MaverickThe Meters - Look-ka Py Py - JosieThe Nite Liners - Afro Strut - RCAAlvin Thomas - The Roach - Great SouthernThe Corner Boys - Gang War / Take it Easy Soul Brother - NeptuneMoon People - land of Love / Revolt - Speed - 3 copiesRoss Carnegie - Cool Dad / Win Lose or Draw - El Con RecordsHI Fi White - Bulldog - SandmanLandlords and Tennants - Back up - BuddahVoices of East Harlem - Right on be FreeThe Boys in the Band - Sumpin Heavy - SpringLonnie Smith - Son of Ice Bag / Think - Blue NoteDyke and the Blazers - We Got More Soul / Shotgun Slim - Original SoundThe Chubukos - House of Rising Funk - MainstreamMilton Howard - Funky Shing a Ling - Sound StageLee Sain - Them Hot Pants - We ProduceAC Reed - Boogaloo Tramp - Nike - 2 copiesRay Charles - Booty Butt / Sidewinder Toussaint McCall - Shimmy - RonnThe Staple Singers - For What its WorthRoy Meriweather - Jesus Christ Superstar - 2 copiesRipple - I Don't Know What it is but it Sure is Funky - GRCThe Soul Runners - Charley / Last date - MoSoulThe Mad Men - Do the African Twist - GambleBull and the Matadors - The Funk Judge - Toodlin' TownMarlena Shaw - Woman of the Ghetto - CadetCharles Wright - What Can you Bring MeRhetta Hughes - Light my Fire - TetragrammatonErnie Hines - Thank you Baby / We're Gonna party - USA RecordsJesse Morrison - Shakey Pudding - AbetThe Endeavors -Sexy Woman / Who Shaft Where - GambitRoy Budd - Carter / Play Thing - DJM Records, white label promoAny info much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Alvin Thomas - The Roach - Great Southern - Cool NOLA stuff
    The Corner Boys - Gang War / Take it Easy Soul Brother - Neptune - Philly group soul, used to be the Formations
    Ross Carnegie - Cool Dad / Win Lose or Draw - El Con Records - Slamming Hammond
    Lonnie Smith - Son of Ice Bag / Think - Blue Note - Also cool Hammond
    Milton Howard - Funky Shing a Ling - Sound Stage - great 2-sider
    Toussaint McCall - Shimmy - Ronn - best common Hammond record ever!
    The Mad Men - Do the African Twist - Gamble - Underrated Philly funk
    Marlena Shaw - Woman of the Ghetto - Cadet - Killer
    Roy Budd - Carter / Play Thing - DJM Records, white label promo - This is worth some dough...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Moon People - land of Love / Revolt - Speed - 3 copies

The Moon People (los astronautas) is the instrumental section of the Latin Blues Band. I forget which song 'land of love' is the instrumental of though - 'take a trip' maybe? I like both bands.

Roy Budd - Carter / Play Thing - DJM Records, white label promo

Is this the Get Carter theme?

• Manu Dibango - Kusini - Great rare private press soundtrack - double

So you traded instead of stepping up to the $200 price tag huh?? (saw that on the wall a few weeks ago )

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Manu Dibango - Kusini - Great rare private press soundtrack - double

So you traded instead of stepping up to the $200 price tag huh?? (saw that on the wall a few weeks ago )

$200 is a fair price for that I would say. No?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    yes, BUT his "condition" grading is uh, non existent. I didn't even talk to dude based on what I looked at in the sto'.
    Peace
    T.N.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    outside of the budd all of those are good records but not hard to find. i would say, grouping them up, they are worth, roughly, $15 a piece. maybe you can say $20 but i wouldnt...

good records though! still would like to make it to eddies...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Soul Survivors - Expressway to your Heart / Hey Gyp - Crimson records

Hip blue-eyed soul group, in the manner of the Rascals. "Expressway" was their biggest hit (1967).

HI Fi White - Bulldog - Sandman

Crossdressing X-rated comedian from Chicago who was also a pretty good soul singer. I believe this single is from '72 (he died in '90).

AC Reed - Boogaloo Tramp - Nike - 2 copies

Classic soul-blues instrumental from Chicago, ca. late sixties, but don't sleep on the A-side, "Talking About My Friends," which was a local hit.

Bull and the Matadors - The Funk Judge - Toodlin' Town

One of several songs cashing in on 1968's "here comes the judge" craze. This was a soul hit that crossed over pop.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I managed to offload some dolar bin stuff from the UK which I have multiple copies of and one or two tougher pieces in exchange for the Kusini and the Meters. I already have the Kusini but I was on a tight schedule so just grabbed the first couple of things I saw. As to condition it plays and looks great.

Thanks for the help with the 45's. Didn't think I had anything mind shattering but I was really happy to find the Roy Budd (yes it is the theme from Get Carter)