Fixing Off-Center 45s?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
Anyone tried with success? K, I'm looking at you...New haul of reggae 45s and one of my favorite tunes, Alton Ellis "Too Late To Turn Back Now" is warbling something awful...Too much spliff inna di buying session!
TAGGED:

Comments

• As someone with his own crates of JA 45s, I'll tell you that it's not gonna be pretty.

It's all about placing on the turntable sans cone or puck, finding the actual center, and taping an old school 45 insert into place.

• [reynaldo]just buy another one[/reynaldo]

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    As someone with his own crates of JA 45s, I'll tell you that it's not gonna be pretty.

It's all about placing on the turntable sans cone or puck, finding the actual center, and taping an old school 45 insert into place.

False.
    it can be done with a ruler, a piece of paper, a T square (or something with a 90 edge) and a plastic 45 adapter.

FINESSE THAT MATH.

I've never done it before nor have I attempted, but it works without flaw.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    As someone with his own crates of JA 45s, I'll tell you that it's not gonna be pretty.

Word... this is more for sale purposes than playing out though, have you ever tried to whittle down a side of the 45 hole and using tape or cardboard on the other?

I seem to have the 45 almost centered (sans adapter) but the question is how to make it permanent!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• Word... this is more for sale purposes than playing out though, have you ever tried to whittle down a side of the 45 hole and using tape or cardboard on the other?

I seem to have the 45 almost centered (sans adapter) but the question is how to make it permanent!

Now we'll see what kind of salesman you really are.

"This 45? I don't know, man. You think you can handle it? And when I say "handle".... Look, you probably know this, but all the really ill records out of Jamaica were not intended for the foreign market. Only real Jamaican soundmen could get them to play properly.

If you can find your own center [insert pregnant pause here coupled with a stare that borders on being uncomfortably long], then you can find the center of this record, too."

Then, start to hand it to him, but pull it away once, repeat pregnant pause/uncomfortable stare sequence, and visualize the impending sale (at 30% over fair market price, of course).

If you can find your own center [insert pregnant pause here coupled with a stare that borders on being uncomfortably long], then you can find the center of this record, too."

LOL

It goes up, and down. And around.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I "fixed" an offcenter Renaldo Domino 45 by cutting a cardboard center that tightly fits the 45 hole & then punched a new appropriately centered spindle hole in the cardboard. plays fine. that way you don't have to hurt the record, mess around with glue etc etc.

---

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    put it in a convection oven with 7 pieces of glass and eye of newt and cook it for 20 minutes

that should work too.

---

• Options

False.
    it can be done with a ruler, a piece of paper, a T square (or something with a 90 edge) and a plastic 45 adapter.

FINESSE THAT MATH.

I've never done it before nor have I attempted, but it works without flaw.

True center. If the grooves are centered, the hole don't matter.

Glue a plastic 45 corresponding with true center (logic would tell you there's vinyl meat to glue to, seeing as the hole is off center).

Tipsy arguing with my Philosophy professor cous', K.

P.S You'll need a compass.

• Options
    Circunference is the grooves + this:

If you have a straight edge (unmarked ruler) and a compass, it is easy
    to locate the center of a circle. Draw any line L through the circle,
    so it intersects the circle at A and B. Then with the compass, find
    the perpendicular bisector of AB, which will intersect the circle at C
    and D. Clearly, CD is a diameter, so if you bisect CD at point O, O is
    the center of the circle.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    I put the 45 on the adapter, pull the adapter out, play the record and patiently work out the tone arm movement by gently nudging the 45 with my thumb. When I get it centered, I put the adapter back on, and then trace the overlay of the adapter with a pencil onto the 45 label. No glue, no tape, no plastic 45 adapters, and very little work for future spins. Most importantly, no math. Who needs math when there's beer to be consumed? OK, besides beer makers....

• Choose your favourite side, and then glue a centred 45 to the back?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Choose your favourite side, and then glue a centred 45 to the back?

• have you ever tried to whittle down a side of the 45 hole and using tape or cardboard on the other?

I used file folder labels stuck around the problem areas until the center slid in flush when place on the adaptor. Functional? Yep. Aesthetically pleasing? Hardly.

If the grooves are centered, the hole don't matter.

Problem here is, the grooves are not centered. If you look at the outer edge, its width varies as the record goes 'round, however the record itself is not oblong.

Best solution so far to me is card center with new punch hole. I will attempt this today in Dr. Himperdink's laboratory.

PAYCHECK OUT

This is what it looks like... ghetto, but effective.

• This is what it looks like... ghetto, but effective.

I'm gonna have to utilize this method.

• Options
    This is what it looks like... ghetto, but effective.

I used this at first, too. The problem is that the hole can only take so much, um, penetration until the 45 is back to it's off-centered ways.

K.

put it in a convection oven with 7 pieces of glass and eye of newt and cook it for 20 minutes