Thief vs Heist vs Inside Man

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
any theories on the inspiration behind this trend in entertainment?are the shows or the movie any good?

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    is this a new trend really? i mean the heist flick goes back prolly before movies were even made. i mean, one of the first flicks was a heist film, the great train robbery. its just one of those storylines that keeps getting played. one of my smart friends told me that there are really only like 8 narratives and movies just keep redoing them.

anyways, i havent seen any of those.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    there's 3 robbery related things happening in culture! there are socio-political implications! let's discuss!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    heat > everything else
    thief (movie) gets second place

michael mann bitches.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    michael mann bitches.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    michael mann bitches.

No doubt!!!

What's the one w/ Deniro and the kid from fight club?

Dead Presidents as well.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    heat > everything else

Heist was your typical awkward dialogue late-David Mamet snooze fest featuring his talentless wife in a lead role. See also "The Spanish Prisoner," "Winslow Boy" etc.

(That being said, State and Main was hilarious and Glengarry is an all-time classic.)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i saw inside man and it was aiiight. there were your typical spike lee moments. but it seems like they left a lot on the cutting/editing room floor. like they needed to cut it down to 2hrs... dont they know spike likes his movies clocking at 3+!!!

anyways, clive owen as badass as he may seem, pretty much plays the same dude in all them movies.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    heat > everything else

Heist was your typical awkward dialogue late-David Mamet snooze fest featuring his talentless wife in a lead role. See also "The Spanish Prisoner," "Winslow Boy" etc.

(That being said, State and Main was hilarious and Glengarry is an all-time classic.)

robert deniro?
    al pacino?
    val kilmer?
    ashley judd?
    jon voigt?
    directed by michael mann?

(reading is fundamental)
    (just joshing ya)
    (and yes heist sucked a ballsack)
    (heat did not)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

(heat did not)

that was my point. i was making two separate observations.

• thropethrope 750 Posts

(heat did not)

ok word, i guess my reading comprehension is fucked up. everyone go watch thief if you get the chance (movie not show). if you can get over the early 80s'ness of it, its dope. good ending.

(heat did not)

ok word, i guess my reading comprehension is fucked up. everyone go watch thief if you get the chance (movie not show). if you can get over the early 80s'ness of it, its dope. good ending.

Very Proto- Miami Vice. The way James Caan holds the 45 iz just like Crockett does on the show. Same exagerated gun explosions. Just sayin.

Tangerine Dream soundtrack > Jan Hammer

• Inside man was great, best big-budget Hollywood film I've seen in ages, methodical, held my interest, great acting from Denzel, and Clive as well as the guy who played Denzels partner.

Heist films are the kind of movies I shouldn't like but I do.

Rififi from Dassin is one of the time greats the actual robbery scene is tense as fuck
    The Score could hav ebeen better but was far from bad.

Basically if you like films that are methodical get thyself to thyne Spike joint

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Are you talking about the TV show Heist? So far, it's pretty interesting, but not necessary.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Not to burst your bubble but Heat - as great as it is - borrows a lot of moments from Straight Time, which btw is also a great underworld film (1977, dir. by Ulu Grosbard, feat. Dustin Hoffmann) especially the big heist scene. Sorry.
    sounds dope. i'm going to check that out (and i still need to see mann's 'thief'). i thought 'heat' was as close to a perfect film as youre going to get.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Was that the one where he played a retarded janitor and Marlon Brando was in it? Typical of the crap DeNiro does lately.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i dont care if heat stole the heists, or even the premise, mann kills it with his dialogue, attention to detail, score, directing, whateva. also the acting in heat is

that said, i need to check out that hoffman flick

edit: ahh i see that movie is based on the book by bunker, based on the extras on the new heat dvd that came out last year, mann did jack a lot from that book, maybe even talking to bunker

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Are you talking about the TV show Heist? So far, it's pretty interesting, but not necessary.

First ep was good but yeah, not necessary. However, it's Andre Braugher...I'll watch it just because he's in it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I made a little post about Inside Man last week when it came out. Thought it was a great great movie. Had many twists and turns, plus funny moments to keep it going. I was skeptical that Spike could pull of a straight movie. Everything he does usually has so much symbolism it can loose itself. This was just a great thriller. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Heist the TV show was good, but not great. I'm expecting it to get better hopefully.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Not to burst your bubble but Heat - as great as it is - borrows a lot of moments from Straight Time, which btw is also a great underworld film (1977, dir. by Ulu Grosbard, feat. Dustin Hoffmann) especially the big heist scene. Sorry.
    Funny enough, "Heat" being a remake of a TV movie Mann did in 1989 called "LA Takedown".

Inside man is great. Spike back at the top of his game imo. Anybody else notice the short glimpse of Sal's Famous pizzaboxes?
    I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the Sal pizza box. I was thinking, "Must be some coincidences rather than an easter egg in a Spike Lee joint".
    Glad to hear that

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I made a little post about Inside Man last week when it came out. Thought it was a great great movie. Had many twists and turns, plus funny moments to keep it going. I was skeptical that Spike could pull of a straight movie. Everything he does usually has so much symbolism it can loose itself. This was just a great thriller. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Heist the TV show was good, but not great. I'm expecting it to get better hopefully.

Just got back from Inside Man. I thought it was pretty good, my wife really liked it a lot. What I thought was a bit of dragging in the plot, she took as suspense. Speaking of Spike trademarks, I liked the cameo of Bomb Malt Liquor.

Ditto on Heist (TV), although it's pretty much exceeded my usual low expectations for a new TV series so far. It has as yet unlived up to potential.

I liked Heist the movies despite its many obvious flaws, but I'm a fan of Mamet's smarty-ass dialog.

I love robbery movies, lemme parrot the artist formerly known as Guzzo in recommending Rififi, um, just about the greatest heists and aftermath's ever. See also The Killing and Sexy Beast for another two I can think of off the top of my head.

Not a heist movie but Layer Cake needs to be mentioned somewhere in this thread.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i was very impressed with layer cake, it was like a guy ritchie movie if he didn't have the mind and attention span of a 12 year old.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Heat is my favorite movie and one of the best movies ever made

Caged[/b] Heat is my favorite movie and one of the best movies ever made

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Caged Heat II: Stripped of Freedom[/b] is my favorite movie and one of the best movies ever made

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Was that the one where he played a retarded janitor and Marlon Brando was in it? Typical of the crap DeNiro does lately.

the part with brando was hillarious, it was all improv and dude was totally out of it

What's this sound like???? Anyone??

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Jeez 3rdstream, your avatar is giving me the willies. "Body Snatchers" scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, and that closing scene where Don points his finger and lets out that pigsqueal sound has stuck in my mind forever.