Advice on moving with records...

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
Hey, next month I'll be moving w/ approx 1,000 raerz. I know it's probably just a matter of boxing them & putting them in the truck, but I'm kinda stressed about it. Any advice from youz who have done this before? Should I sprinkle them with pixie dust, etc?

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Hey, next month I'll be moving w/ approx 1,000 raerz. I know it's probably just a matter of boxing them & putting them in the truck, but I'm kinda stressed about it. Any advice from youz who have done this before? Should I sprinkle them with pixie dust, etc?

How long will theybe in the truck? Summer heat can be a killer for those babies...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

How long will theybe in the truck? Summer heat can be a killer for those babies...

yeah, I thought of this. Probably about 10 hours.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I moved across country twice, once with raers in the truck and once with the movers handling it.

most important, get the waterproof corrugated boxes. You never know when you'll run into a torrential downpour and those trucks are NOT waterproof. After being poured on through Nebraska there was a good 5-10' wet spot along the floor of the truck. So glad I had the waterproof boxes. If you don't have them and don't have time/money to get them, make sure you have a good tarp above and below the raers.

As for warpage, 10 hours in a truck won't kill you as long as you pack your boxes tight and keep the truck in the shade as much as you can (when parked). I think some records might have warped a bit but I can't really tell, and this was over 10 days, not 10 hours. It certainly wasn't a disaster.

radd!

this is only across CA, so rain should not be an issue. what about stacking boxes? yes? no?

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I'm moving in a few weeks with over 10,000 LPs. I'm loosing sleep over it.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    I am doing the same thing - moving from CA to New York and probably will have movers do it. 3000 lps and 1000 45s. Don't want them warped or damaged.

Jason

I'm moving in a few weeks with over 10,000 LPs. I'm loosing sleep over it.

• djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
    what about stacking boxes? yes? no?

i never had a problem with this, nice boxes take care of this and other worries.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    This past summer I moved accross 5 states in the peak of the summer heat. I was using a Uhaul type truck, and was moving approx 3000 LPs (mostly Harry Belefonte and Neal Sedaka gems for those who care to know). Anyway, I packed them extra tight in their crates, I think this helped a lot. I also kept the rare 45s with me in the airconditioned cab just in case. And not a single warped record at the end of the trip. good luck!

-k

When I moved I let the movers handle the LPs (which I packed) but I moved all the 45's myself (in air conditioning).

When I moved I let the movers handle the LPs (which I packed) but I moved all the 45's myself (in air conditioning).

Just imagine the years of therapy your lp's will need because of this.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    shite. there is no reason to have 10,000. I'm overwhelmed by my 2,000 or so. Grab some boxes and bring em to a show>flea market>record store>trash in that order. Make some money. Have a nice vacation. I'm thinking you can sell 8,000 and still have all the records you absolutely love AND make some serious money. It will also free up more space for the new spot.

ok I'm sounding like an advice columnist.

shite. there is no reason to have 10,000. I'm overwhelmed by my 2,000 or so. Grab some boxes and bring em to a show>flea market>record store>trash in that order. Make some money. Have a nice vacation. I'm thinking you can sell 8,000 and still have all the records you absolutely love AND make some serious money. It will also free up more space for the new spot.

I'm moving to go to grad school. I plan on selling most during grad school so I don't have to take loans or suck dick.

I really only need about 100 records. Plus, I like to dig.

Just imagine the years of therapy your lp's will need because of this.

Oh, they're big fellas...and they get to live in the Expedit while the most precious of 45s reside in cardboard boxes...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I'm moving to go to grad school. I plan on selling most during grad school so I don't have to take loans or suck dick.

if you can get down to 100 records, you are a better man than I

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

if you can get down to 100 records, you are a better man than I

OH god! I would love to get down to 100!

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    i just relocated 15,000 lp's. we are moving out today. i had some golds gym he-men motherfuggers slang those boxes. you need not worry about heat. pack em tight in small moving boxes and cover them shitz in a blanket. shit is hard to warp. you gotta leave them shitz on the pavement one at a time to warp. big bricks dont warp, just loose items.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

------- will help fund Fatback college time in exchange for local raers. I shall assist in schooling you, dad.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    big bricks dont warp, just loose items.

Experience is the best teacher. Go out on thin ice.

night is a sun too

GET IT DOWN TO 100

NEVA STOP DIGGIN!

(a nice reminder of time past that refuses to end and distresses everyone with its obstinate presence.)

• speshboogiespeshboogie 105 Posts
    I moved 10K about 6months ago...
    Only a couple miles up road to new crib.
    Most everything in crates & moving boxes, in a U-haul truck - no probs there, other than they fell out & spilled everywhere (fucking mess).

The ONE thing to be careful about...
    Don't leave your shit near windows/direct sunlight.

When I moved the last batch of my HipHop...
    I did that in my Suburban on a clear semi-sunny day.
    I don't know what happened, but one or 2 crates tipped a little & a bunch fell out.

Well, I guess while parked in the driveway the sun wasted no time in showing me who really had the "heat".

A small section of my B's & F's are fucking WARPED.
    Most all my Public Enemy joints are WARPED too.
    Everynow & then I pull out a old joint, and find that it's warped.
    DAMN!
    So I say, keep them shits AWAY from the window & direct sunlight.

Yeah I should've boxed them up tight & covered 'em.
    But you know, I really didn't think a quick trip up the road, in my A/C cooled truck w/ tinted rear windows, would be a risk.
    I was wrong!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

The bigger question is how are you going to move all this stuff?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno we are freighting 7000 records out to Cali, and i am going nuts about it. the only good side is we can get insurance for any damage that occurs along the way... I would recommend getting any kind of insurance you can if youa re really stressed. It won't cover the time finding the reocrds, but it will at least protect the monetary investment.

The bigger question is how are you going to move all this stuff?

Mom is not coming with...

• You never know when you'll run into a torrential downpour and those trucks are NOT waterproof. After being poured on through Nebraska there was a good 5-10' wet spot along the floor of the truck.

So true.

I drove from Seattle to DC with approx. 5,000 records in one of those U-Haul trailers. I went through some major storms, and I always assumed the thing was waterproof.

Somehow only my shittiest records got wet. But you can imagine the horror of opening up the trailer and having a steady stream of water pour out the back.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I moved all my shiz from Cali to LA. Here is the company to use:

Roadway Express.

Its a shipping company. They actually build a little room for you inside of the truck and you can stack it and load everything in. Its actually cheaper than a Uhaul. they have 4ft and eight feet partitions. And they help you move it. The only problem is that they are a commercial shiping company so you'll have to beat them to the location. Nothing got fucked.

• Hey, next month I'll be moving w/ approx 1,000 raerz. I know it's probably just a matter of boxing them & putting them in the truck, but I'm kinda stressed about it. Any advice from youz who have done this before? Should I sprinkle them with pixie dust, etc?

I did about 40,000 records from phoenix to LA in the summertime. did it over night. it was all good. get the uhaul boxes an pack em tight. no real need to worry about rain in california. just check the forecast.

• Mom is not coming with...

No one else sense the coming of a new era???

I'm all grownz up now!!!

I'm all grownz up now!!!

I'm all grownz up now!!!

Moving records will turn me into a Jew?