PC Hardware Aficionados (external HD related)

SoldStonedSoulSoldStonedSoul 92 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I've been lookin into buying an external hard drive with my tax return, don't really know much about them but I've been told the firewire connection is a must...Anybody have one or know something about them, or better yet have a good one/deal to recommend?Knowledge Drop neededthx

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If you want to use sound/video files or run apps directly from the HD, firewire is a must. If you just want to back that shit up, USB2 is cool.

• It's mostly gonna be for my gigs upon gigs of mp3's, but running apps from it had crossed my mind...

How slow are apps and other things which I would "run" from the external?

Is it annoyingly slow, or only slightly slower?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    LaCie is suppose to be a great company

Yo S**n you need to hookup one of these man...Benefit all of us..

• Yo S**n you need to hookup one of these man...Benefit all of us..

Yea I feel you (rat), but fuck there no small purchase, fuckin 2-4 bills easy...

I need a deal of somekind...

and what the hell u know about it?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I need a deal of somekind...

and what the hell u know about it?

They were a pioneer in the field and very reliabl as well as badass design. (learned this from tv shows )

This one (300GB) is 224$

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I just got the hot shit...

400 gig eSata external.

You can get 3Gbps transfer rate going. It's also got usb 2.0

Shit is dope.

Here is the enclosure

The Hard Drive

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

OK, how's that for a hookup?

• badass design. (learned this from tv shows )

This one (300GB) is 224$

I dont like the design and does it have firewire?

I'm feeling this one

good specs and it's a maxtor (name I trust, never heard of lacie)

One Touch. One Low Price!
    Maxtor OneTouch II USB 2.0 Firewire External HDD.
    The Maxtor OneTouch II ??? simple backup and storage with Maxtor DriveLock to protect the contents of your drive if lost or stolen. Maxtor pioneered the revolutionary "pushbutton" approach to data backup, and stays in the forefront with the new Maxtor OneTouch II external hard drive. With 300GB, there's ample room to store your videos, photos, graphics, music, and more in one convenient location! The drive features a simple Maxtor user-interface for drive management, security, and backup, a whisper-quiet 7200 RPM hard drive with 16MB cache and is equipped with both FireWire and USB 2.0 interfaces for easy connection. For PC and Mac.

Specifications

Capacity (GB) Learn More 300

Interface USB 2.0/Firewire

Spindle Speed (RPM) 7200

Buffer Memory 16MB

Average Seek (msec) Learn More 9.5

Data Transfer Rate on USB 2.0 Up to 480 Mb/sec

Data Transfer Rate on FireWire Up to 400 Mb/sec

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Seagate is supposed to be a really good hard drive manufacturer. Is it for a laptop or a tower? If you don't really need something portable, and you have the space in your tower, you might as well get an internal for about 1/3 of the price of an external.

Also - I have a Maxtor 35 GB, it's always worked fine for me. However, I have heard a few horror stories of them crashing.

• I just got the hot shit...

400 gig eSata external.

Shit is dope.

Can you elaborate a bit on this enclosure thing...

Read about it slightly, but don't fully understand how this works, if they do what they claim, why is their still a use for externals, wouldn't everybody just get enclosures for their current hd's, so much cheaper...

• Seagate is supposed to be a really good hard drive manufacturer. Is it for a laptop or a tower? If you don't really need something portable, and you have the space in your tower, you might as well get an internal for about 1/3 of the price of an external.

I want to be able to carry it around with me, basically Im gonna be running from one friend to another swapping music...

Seagate is makin me pay for their name though, they are significantly more expensive than others from what I've researched...

Likin' the feedback though, thx peeps

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    If you want to use sound/video files or run apps directly from the HD, firewire is a must. If you just want to back that shit up, USB2 is cool.

Honestly Firewire vs. USB is over blown. inlight of what tech specs say. I have a MAXTOR 300 GIG external. Ran through both interfaces (on my pc and powerbook). Firewire and USB. For Protools recording and Digital Mixing and there really is no significant difference. Majority of PC's (DELL) do not come with onboard firewire capabilities meaning you are left with going the PCI card route.

Seagate is supposed to be a really good hard drive manufacturer. Is it for a laptop or a tower? If you don't really need something portable, and you have the space in your tower, you might as well get an internal for about 1/3 of the price of an external.

I want to be able to carry it around with me, basically Im gonna be running from one friend to another swapping music...

Seagate is makin me pay for their name though, they are significantly more expensive than others from what I've researched...

Likin' the feedback though, thx peeps

Naw.. you can't really fuck with Seagate tho...

5 year Warranty. I think 1 year is in store and the rest is through the Manufacture.

I bought the 400 gig for $247 canadian. I don't think thats expensive...

The only thing that sucks is my motherboard doesn't do the new esata. So, I get a max 1.5 Gbps. Thats still 3 times faster than USB 2.0

I just got the hot shit...

400 gig eSata external.

Shit is dope.

Can you elaborate a bit on this enclosure thing...

Read about it slightly, but don't fully understand how this works, if they do what they claim, why is their still a use for externals, wouldn't everybody just get enclosures for their current hd's, so much cheaper...

Thats just what the external can handle.. You still need a SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive to go with it.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I've been lookin into buying an external hard drive with my tax return, don't really know much about them but I've been told the firewire connection is a must...

Anybody have one or know something about them, or better yet have a good one/deal to recommend?

Knowledge Drop needed

thx

Everyone's gonna have different opinions on brands, because truthfully none of them stand out in terms of reliability. I've used Western Digital for 3-4 years now both internal & external, PCI, USB, Firewire and have never had one flat out die out of nowhere. But I've also read of people who have had nothing but bad experiences with WD. It's the same for any other brand. The big names though are WD, Maxtor & Seagate.

As far as USB2.0 vs. Firewire, I don't think the difference is that great unless you're recording an entire fucking orchestra at once. I don't really know though, I record on internal hard drives.

If you're just using it to play MP3s w/ Winamp or Windows Media Player it doesn't make a difference. I bought a USB hard drive to do just that and it works great, plus it was $30-$40 cheaper than the Firewire alternative. If you're using it for Serato or whatever, I wouldn't know the first thing about that.

Just make sure you backup anything important.

• I bought the 400 gig for $247 canadian. I don't think thats expensive...

The only thing that sucks is my motherboard doesn't do the new esata. So, I get a max 1.5 Gbps. Thats still 3 times faster than USB 2.0

Hmm, motherboard issues, most def will look into that.

Thx a lot

247$, that's without tax I guess?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont trust maxtor at all anymore. too many crashes, me and friends, as well

although they do tend to replace the drives for no charge...they cant replace the files lost...

• i dont trust maxtor at all anymore. too many crashes, me and friends, as well

although they do tend to replace the drives for no charge...they cant replace the files lost...

NOTED

I bought the 400 gig for $247 canadian. I don't think thats expensive...

Thx a lot

Ur in PQ right? I'm not sure.. But yeah, I would guess taxes. Unless you find a shop in Montreal. But I don't know many places in Canada that can beat Canada Computers prices. If thats too much dough, get a 300...

• I bought the 400 gig for $247 canadian. I don't think thats expensive...

Thx a lot

Ur in PQ right? I'm not sure.. But yeah, I would guess taxes. Unless you find a shop in Montreal. But I don't know many places in Canada that can beat Canada Computers prices. If thats too much dough, get a 300...

Yea i am, been looking at tigerdirect.ca, but will look at computer canada.

Thx

Tiger does have some deals. Mostly good prices on refurb stuff.

Just looking I see they have the Seagate 400 gig HD (But the 1.5 version) for

$284

Compared to Canada Computers @ $247

Like I said, not many places in Canada can fuck with their prices on a whole. Tho a couple will price match with them once in a blue moon. Their service in the downtown location can be shit sometimes.. but thats just cause they got a fucking line up all the damn time. A friend of mine told me buying online through them went really well.

• (learned this from tv shows )

David Chalk on his technological farm?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I have a maxtor 250 gig external. No issues so far.