What does Jean Grae have against O-Dub? (sng incl)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So I'm listening to "Think Twice" by Herbaliser and Jean Grae, and I swear at the 2:04 mark, she says, "gunning hard for motherfuckers like Ol!^%r [email]W@#&"[/email] and I wonder why she's mad at him...of course, I might be hearing things...tell me I'm not crazy.http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RN5QHOAVFG383QLWWDYFENJTJ

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    that reminds me: we need a 'disconnected' graemlin

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    We need an irrelevant graemlin. This chick sux, who cares.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    THis is old news no? She was salty that he wrote a negative review of her album. This might be a new diss though. I thought yall squashed that O-dub?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

I could not anti-co-sign harder. Jean is dope. Why she'd get all pissy over Ol*ve*'s review - so much so that she felt the need to call him out in a song - is beyond me...

She needs to get on some dope beats. I always think the beats she picks are kinda

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    sorry if this is a repeat post...so this has historic record then...she is beefing Dub? I thought it was like when I first heard "Flashdance" as a little kid and heard "Take your pants off and make it happen" instead of "Take your passion and make it happen".

Link to review?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I could not anti-co-sign harder. Jean is dope. Why she'd get all pissy over Ol*ve*'s review - so much so that she felt the need to call him out in a song - is beyond me...

She needs to get on some dope beats. I always think the beats she picks are kinda

Agreed, Jean Grae is one of the better female rappers out right now, its a pity she hasn't found success yet. Guess thats the price you pay for going the indy route.

The O-Dub diss is pretty old, It was discussed on here a really long time ago. Plain and simple O-dub is the Guzzo of the music review world. He makes people mad at him, I think O-dub even retorted somewhere too (but I oculd be wrong)

On the brighter side beef between him and PUTS was squashed right here on soulstrut.

fuck being disconnected we are the digital streets

• the true definition of Cuddleraps.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the true definition of Cuddleraps.

where you been at mang?

next time y'all perform at the Knitting factory you gotta bring me and that one dude up on stage for a cuddle cypher

• sheeeeet. you know it.
    I been out the loop, laying low, battling minor depression, getting ready for the new PUTS album to hit the streets (april 18th).
    We need to have a BBQ. I need to get drunk. now.

Out of curiosity... anyone got a link for me to the OG ODub review??? Not trying to re-fry some beef... I'm interested in reading it.

Mr W*ng??? Can you help out?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Did 'Dub retort in a song? If he did, we could do a comp of "Indy Beef" and make HUNDREDS of dollars!

Did 'Dub retort in a song? If he did, we could do a comp of "Indy Beef" and make thousands[/b] of dollars selling them on campuses nationwide![/b]!

Perhaps your next release, N*t????

Oh and dude... that order for the Break In The Road is coming next week... long story short - I'm a broke ass student and we got an unexpectedly high electrical bill. Fucked my finances up sumtin goooood. I'm dying not having a copy of it!!! FUUUUUCK!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Out of curiosity... anyone got a link for me to the OG ODub review??? Not trying to re-fry some beef... I'm interested in reading it.

Mr W*ng??? Can you help out?

Wassup chemist

my friend sent me this email with some articles

Jean Grae complaining here http://www.hiphopmusic.com/archives/000359.html

Then check the Jan 29th post here http://www.o-dub.com/editorial/ and read his editorial...

Hope this clarifies it.
    Jean is a great female emcee but her hype has died out she should have released that Jeanius lp even if it was leaked. She may still have a great album under her belt though (passio does that some times)

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Jean Grae complaining here http://www.hiphopmusic.com/archives/000359.html

Then check the Jan 29th post here http://www.o-dub.com/editorial/ and read his editorial...

The song I posted was released on Herbaliser's Take London in May of 2005...apparently the beef didn't die.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I saw her perform at Austin's new Beauty Bar yesterday for a SXSW day-party. I've never been the biggest fan of hers, but it was a cool set. Our lil NGOK homies looooove her though. It kinda blew me away that the 3 of them who were with us yesterday were reciting ALL of her lyrics as she spit them. They got to meet her after the show and they were straight star-struck.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is the full story (I really should be working this essay I'm two weeks late on but...)

Oh wait, I have to finish something else real quick. Be back in a minute...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    hey have you guys heard this track where EL-P disses Sole?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

(heh, couldn't resist this one)

GODDAMNIT - Soulstrut has been having some weird server issues where, I'll write a long ass entry, try to post it, only to have the server reject "my form" and there's no back-up. I just explained this whole history, only to fucking lose it. *sigh*

Sorry but I don't have the time or patience to do it again. Here's the short version:

1) Gnat: you could have just emailed me directly to ask me this question. I don't mind talking about it in public but you're stirring up old shit that doesn't really need to be rekindled.

2) What sparked off the row was this review, Summer 2002, in URB Magazine:

Jean Grae: Attack of the Attacking Things

Rating: 3

Ever since her days as What What from Natural Resource, we had Jean Grae pegged as the Lauryn of the crew but who knew her solo career would take half a decade? With Attack of the Attacking Things, Grae finally steps off the cameo circuit with an album that reflects her vaunted lyrical talent but isn???t quite a magnum opus.

At 10 full songs, this is one of the shortest albums since Illmatic but such brevity demands a focus that Attack can???t deliver. At times, Grae, blessed with one of the best flows on either side of the gender line, drops awkward lines and ill-fitting couplets. The bigger problem is the production - lackluster tracks by Masta Ace and Nasain Nahmeen create a three song pile-up early on that stifles Grae???s gifts. Add in some strange skits recorded over the phone and Attack begins to sound more like Defeat. It takes the Beatminerz to free things up with ???Love Song???, a sublime, soulful affair that strikes exactly the right mood for Grae???s autobiographical reflections on her complex relationship history.

The last third of the album is where it all comes together. Grae???s never sounded slicker on cuts like the intelligent player???s anthem ???Get It???, followed by ???KNOCK???, an ice cold braggadocio joint, both well scored by Nahmeen and Mr. Len respectively. Grae closes powerfully with the confessional ???Live 4 U??? and touching elegy ???Fadeout???, ending Attack on the kind of lasting note that we always knew she could deliver. (Oliver Wang)

3) A few months later, Jean wrote an email to my editor where she wrote something to the effect of, "if I ever see Oliver Wang, I'm going to punch him in the face!"

4) I thought she was being playful so I emailed her back and said, "Hey, sorry you didn't like the review, but if you want to beat me up, get in line: PUTS already dissed me on their recent record. How gangsta."

I was being playful but Jean thought I was actually challenging her to one-up PUTS.

5) On her next EP, she has a freestyle where she calls me a "dumb fuck" and in the liner notes writes, "Oliver Wang, you don't know what gangsta is." Notice: she's clearly referring back to the email I sent her.

6) A few months later, this topic comes up on Soulstrut, someone forwards my comments to Jean (which, in hindsight, wasn't very cool but whatever) and she manages to get my home number from her publicist (which wasn't very cool either but when they realized they fucked up, they apologized).

The conversation Jean and I have is rather meandering. I know she didn't like the review but I ask her, "for years, I've written extremely supportive things about you and Natural Resource in URB and you've never written or contacted me to thank me for that. Why do I get dissed for a constructive - but critical - review?" Jean has no reply. Seriously, she didn't have anything to say in response to that...she only muttered something about not liking my attitude. We hang up and it's not clear what the phone call has settled.

7) I write an editorial for URB (also posted to my blog) where I basically tell all these sensitive thugs to go get hugs. I figure this is the end of it.

8) 2005, "Think Twice" comes out and Jean is dissing me again. However, from what I was told by Ninja Tune, this was actually a song the Herbaliser recorded back in 2003...it just wasn't released until 2005 so it's not like Jean was STILL bearing a grudge two years later. I mean, maybe she is, but I heard she now has beef with an XXL writer because he dared to give her last LP only an "L"). Maybe he'll get dissed on her next album.

9) This whole affair has been both humorous and sad. I think most critic/artist beefs are completely ridiculous but especially in this case, it was sad because I probably spent more time big-upping Jean in the pages of URB more than any other artist (with the possible exception of J-Live). Frankly, the fact that my initial review snowballed into two disses on record plus the liner notes slap says a lot more about her and her insecurities than anything I did as a writer.

10) This is why I have nothing but love for PUTS. After Double K dissed me on the OST LP, he actually sent me an autographed copy of the album, and used a Sharpie to hand-draw a pistol into his hand, thus referencing his line, "I got piece for any Oliver mark-ass twang". It was hilarious and I seriously treasure the gesture. It also showed that Double K had a genuine sense of humor unlike Jean.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Thats NON[/b]sense.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey O-Dubbs,

Call me weird, but isn't a good way for an artist to avoid a critical review of his/her LP is to um...record a dope album? Artists should assess their work with a more critical eye themselves before releasing it to the public. After that, come what may in the way of opinions about it. Labels also need to do more work in the way of artist development and production coordination.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I gotta say that it was Oliver who introduced me to Jean Grae in the first place by way of his radio show on KALX. I even went out and bought a record of hers off of it.

Hey O-Dubbs,

Call me weird, but isn't a good way for an artist to avoid a critical review of his/her LP is to um...record a dope album? Artists should assess their work with a more critical eye themselves before releasing it to the public. After that, come what may in the way of opinions about it. Labels also need to do more work in the way of artist development and production coordination.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big Stacks: This sounds quite wise to me, but apparently, what artists want is for critics to give them blow jobs on demand. In fact, I think they'd prefer if publicists simply ran the magazine industry (which, to be honest, isn't that far from the truth sometimes).

In all seriousness though, there are some Big Dude artists who can take a knocking: Common and ?uestlove are both open to criticism over their respective work. Even Jay-Z.

Thanks for the info *l*ver! Didn't want to bring this whole thing up... but I had heard it mentioned a few times on the board, and never knew the whole story.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey O-Dubb,

The problem is that many labels truly don't promote the "album concept" anymore. Now, the convention in rap seems to assemble a bunch of loosely related songs (geared solely toward record sales versus LP quality) with little or no continuity whatsoever. I miss the days when albums "flowed" and the quality of songs was consistently high throughout. That day has passed...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I miss the days when albums "flowed" and the quality of songs was consistently high throughout.

Massive cosign

Hey O-Dubb,

The problem is that many labels truly don't promote the "album concept" anymore. Now, the convention in rap seems to assemble a bunch of loosely related songs (geared solely toward record sales versus LP quality) with little or no continuity whatsoever. I miss the days when albums "flowed" and the quality of songs was consistently high throughout. That day has passed...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stax: Let's not start this up again

There are still albums that "flow" with a consistent quality of songs. Right now, I'm listening to the new Ghostface and shit is .

And I've gone back to old "classics" and start reaching for the FF key a lot more than I thought I would, including "Midnight Marauders" and "One For All."

Of course, there are exceptions:

-"Pretty Toney".
    -"Grind Date.
    -"Minstrel Show" (sort of).
    -"U In or U Out"-The U.N.
    -"Further Adventures of Lord Quas".
    -"Long Hot Summer".
    -and so on.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak