La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata

goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk

Ever since downloading this a few weeks ago this has been in constant rotation in my car and home. Perfect case of right music at the right time I guess because it is just killing it for me right now!I'm just now (late pass) getting around to exploring the wider world of this type of garagey-psyche beyond some of the more well known stuff that's out there.Read through the old Soul Strut threads re: psyche, and have gotten a few good suggestions. But does anyone have any suggestions for stuff that might sound like this? This sort of blistering, loping, almost proto-punk stuff is exactly what I need in my life right now!Not asking you to give up the Just looking for some available and maybe slightly raer stuff that you can turn me on to.Really just hoping for a little big dude knowledge so that I can spend my limited funds in the best and most useful way possible.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wish I could drop some knowledge for you, but I just
    want to cosign that this one of my top 5 favorite downloaded
    albums too ... heavy rotation at the SOI crib ...

• yeah but you should really check thier second record! or better yet go out and dig for it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    yeah but you should really check thier second record! or better yet go out and dig for it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I like it but it sounds more like Southern Rock with Mex accents than psych anything.

or better yet go out and dig for it.

Not too many Mexican LP's hanging around bins in the Northeast

Although this is yet another reason I really want to go on
    a serious record roadtrip - just need some $$$ to come my way...

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

I like it but it sounds more like Southern Rock with Mex accents than psych anything.

The strange (and cool) thing for me is that every time I listen to this thing I seem to hear another influence from or toward something else. I mentioned in another thread that one of the songs (something about the guitar riff and vocals) makes me think that The Minutemen listened to this. The guitar could almost sound like southern rock but also has that strong garage twang to it. The third song sounds almost dirgeful folk-like. I don't know... It seems to be one of those rare albums that pulls in different directions all at once and yet holds together cohesively as something weirdly unique.

I've seen mention of the second album but I hear it's even harder to track down...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yeah but you should really check thier second record! or better yet go out and dig for it.

Cosign...the second LP titled "Hoy" is much better than the 1st

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The strange (and cool) thing for me is that every time I listen to this thing I seem to hear another influence from or toward something else. I mentioned in another thread that one of the songs (something about the guitar riff and vocals) makes me think that The Minutemen listened to this. The guitar could almost sound like southern rock but also has that strong garage twang to it. The third song sounds almost dirgeful folk-like. I don't know... It seems to be one of those rare albums that pulls in different directions all at once and yet holds together cohesively as something weirdly unique.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I don't know, "Hoy" is much more complete, but the first LP is fucking bad ass. One of the best Mexican LP's period. They were in a few Mexican movies back in the day, I have some clips of it on my computer.. perhaps Ill yousendit. I am a Mexican rock nut. I have been trading with a collector in Mexico City for a good year or so now, and he has hipped me to an entire world of insanity. Most of the best Mexican stuff was released on 45 EP's. Check out my mix at www.waxingdeep.org . 80% of it is Mexican tunes. 1 Puerto Rican, 3 Peruvian cuts. I have many wants still... but I choose to keep them for now... until I find :-)

Some bands that I suggest:

El Amor
    Antiques (Floridian Mexican band)
    Survival
    Three Souls In My Mind
    La Sangre Caliente

Theres only 2 or 3 Mexican dealers that sell good Mexican LPs/45s on Ebay, and one of them is a fucking shadeball, and his old ebay account is no longer active (mexcollectibles) Be wary of who you deal with.

I have a DVD that my collector friend made, of the Avandaro festival in Mexico, circa early 70s, and current interviews with the bands that played there. It was like the Woodstock of Mexico Shit is buckwild, and if I can ever figure out how to make copies of DVDs, I will do so and send to those interested.

I am a Mexican rock nut. I have been trading with a collector in Mexico City for a good year or so now, and he has hipped me to an entire world of insanity

Meaty -

I bid on your auction for the Los Reno version of
    the Zombies' I Love You - but it was another case
    of me being totally naive, and not realizing it was going to
    sell for so much $$$! I was all "I'm the only person who would want
    a Mexican Zombies cover" and figured $15 would land it

That soundfile had my face melted, though...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    There are a bunch of really good Mexican rock/psych/garage bands:

Apocalipsis (do not be confused with the band from PR with the same name, they suck donkey balls)
    Los Dug Dugs
    Kaleidescope (good luck finding this one! I think even the reissue goes for some coin.)
    The Spiders

Among many others, hope I didn't give up anything your looking for Meaty!
    Mexico had a pretty good scene, a lot of their punk bands are pretty dope too.
    The love peace and poetry mexico edition comp is pretty good if you guys want to start looking into some of these bands. sidenote: Mexico got served last night by the Japanese in the World Baseball classic.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This was a cuban band from Miami that that had a big influence on the local latin rock scene. They started as a beat group named "Antique Formula" and recorded an lp for Audio Latino. I upped the 1st lp over @ waxidermy, but I think folks missed it.

This was a cuban band from Miami that that had a big influence on the local latin rock scene. They started as a beat group named "Antique Formula" and recorded an lp for Audio Latino. I upped the 1st lp over @ waxidermy, but I think folks missed it.
    d'oh, my man told me they were Mexican? Plus they are in the Pokoras as mexicano.

"Sincerely" is my fav by them

d'oh, my man told me they were Mexican? Plus they are in the Pokoras as mexicano.

Alot of the latin rock/psych stuff gets miscredited. I was over @ the limestone lounge board a few years back an the guitarist from pearly queen and the drummer from wild wind (he was 16 @ the time) showed up and started on about how everyone looked up to the Antiques in miami. Dudes use to show up to the tropical park battle of the bands every month and house the comp. They???d show up w/ smoke machines, their own lighting rig and laser sounds and rock an hour long set. They were pretty well known all around Miami and their lp's show up a few times a year (always trashed).

Do you have the 2nd lp on funny? The poster is

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Kaleidescope (good luck finding this one! I think even the reissue goes for some coin.)

co-sign on this one, more garagey, but definately worth checking out. Not to be confused with the US band by the same name.

Do you have the 2nd lp on funny? The poster is

yeah I do, I was thinkin of framing it. RAW BIZ

• Goatboy -

If you like that La Revolucion record, you might check out El Alamo and Aguaturbia. I can't remember where these bands are from (somewhere in South America), I got my copies in Peru.

Goatboy -

If you like that La Revolucion record, you might check out El Alamo and Aguaturbia. I can't remember where these bands are from (somewhere in South America), I got my copies in Peru.

El Alamo - PERU
    Aguaturbia - CHILE

I like the Aguaturbia, but "Guitar Man" is about as good as it gets with them IMO.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    El Alamo is the shit, but I keep getting outbid on it. Along the same lines is Jean Paul out of Peru as well. Just got that LP and it's a monster.

DJ Ferrari

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    you have a copy of Aguaturbia?!?!?! I heard there are few surviving copies, apparently they had a small pressing and then when the church saw there was nudity on the cover, they told people to buy the copies and destroy them. I don't know about the validity of these rumors, but I think the band resurfaced in Argentina and recorded a second album. The first Aguaturbia is dumb rare, a $1000+ record easy.

El Alamo is the shit, but I keep getting outbid on it. Along the same lines is Jean Paul out of Peru as well. Just got that LP and it's a monster.

DJ Ferrari

which one, El Troglodita? Which cuts do you like on that? I have a 45 off that album and it kinda blows

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

DJ Ferrari

which one, El Troglodita? Which cuts do you like on that? I have a 45 off that album and it kinda blows

Yeah that one... so side 1 is all awesome and side 2 is all not awesome. I don't know the track names without looking at it so I'll have to get back to you. My guess is that the 45 is from side 2.

DJ Ferrari

• you have a copy of Aguaturbia?!?!?! I heard there are few surviving copies, apparently they had a small pressing and then when the church saw there was nudity on the cover, they told people to buy the copies and destroy them. I don't know about the validity of these rumors, but I think the band resurfaced in Argentina and recorded a second album. The first Aguaturbia is dumb rare, a $1000+ record easy.

nope, I meant to say "my copy of the CD..."

• I got some clips from La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata taken from an hilarious 70s exploito hippie movie from Mexico.

I like a lot the two albums but the first one it's the real sh*t for me, that guitar player is awesome and the drummer is

More insanity from Mexico:

- Three Souls In My Mind: The first album (or better, the killer comp from the first two albums that Rockadelic did) is awesome, dirty, punkier, trashy rock&roll with a singer that sounds like he's going to overdose at any time.

- Ernan Roch Y La Pesada: It's just incredible but this mexican guy sounds excatly the same than Darius, the same voice!!

I searched on the main site but couldn't find it.
    I searched Antiques and Antique Formula.
    Did you post it there or on the message board?

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the

I'll definitely start checking for all these, although I get the feeling that they will not necessarily be easy to find.

Thanks for hipping me to your mix on Waxing Deep Meaty.
    Downloading now and looking forward to checking it out!

Not to be greedy, but I don't suppose some of you could post a few songs so I can get a sense of what the different bands sound like?

It would be graetly appreciated...

I searched on the main site but couldn't find it.
    I searched Antiques and Antique Formula.
    Did you post it there or on the message board?

here's a version of tito puente's "Batuka" from the 1st lp.

Antiques-Batuka