You digging partner...

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
Would you guys rather dig solo or with someone else? Also if you hit the right crates and get some good records, and your digging partener hits crap and comes away with nothing, do you give him a few pieces of your haul, or just say "lets smoke a blunt at the crib and listen to the heat I picked up?"Good morning everybody!

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i prefer digging alone...less competition! but i'm always down to go out digging with my girl.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't care. Looking for records is the main point, whether that's alone or with others.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

damn is partner such a sexually connotated word?

no digging partners on ebay, huh little buddy?

You wanna be my digging partner?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

You wanna be my
    digging bidding partner?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I dig alone, with nobody else... when I dig alone, I prefer to be by myself...

You wanna be my
    digging bidding partner?

BayPal?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

It's hard lonely out there for a pimp...

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

"You wanna be my digging partner?"

I have two friends that I go looking for records with, one just moved so we don't anymore, but i prefered looking for records with him cause he looked for disco and not really into jazz, my other friend that I hit places with is into a lot of the same type shit I am and has caused a couple borderline angry momements, I am generous when it comes to sharing records, if its something I know he wants that I would also like I give it up, i mean most of the time we are not dealing in $100+ records, most Cal Tjaders will pop up again, and i look out for my friends even when iam alone, i think he does the same

I'm not that lonely.

i look out for my friends even when iam alone, i think he does the same

I'm always looking out for friends, but really thats looking out for me because I'd buy doubles of stuff they don't have just for trades. I use to bring records back for friends when I went home to PR, but after giving some records away and not getting anything back, I was like wtf. And I know its shitty to give records only to expect something back and not that I was expecting something in return, but you've never given me anything why should I keep just giving you records I could flip or trade to someone else. I know that reads real angry girlfriend and that the point of giving gifts isn't necessarily getting something in return, I'm just talking reciprosity. That said, the tinmes I've looked for records with friends and I've come up and they haven't, I'll break them off with something.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Mostly alone, sometimes with the BF, sometimes with my brother, sometimes with friends if I am out of town and hanging out. Generally, I prefer to do it alone ??? no pressure about how long I???m taking???that kind of thing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Around town I prefer to go alone, for obvious reasons.

But on trips, the monotony of the drive and spending endless hours pouring through stacks can drive me a crazy... I prefer to have someone around to keep me relatively sane... though after breathing all that dust and not eating for 8 hours its still a struggle

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I used to have a girlfriend who was an occasional collector... it would drive me nuts going to a thrift with her, trying to pick the right stack to start on...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    trying to pick the right stack to start on...

'friends' trying to tear through as many records as possible to get the 'gems' before the other guy =

I use to bring records back for friends when I went home to PR, but after giving some records away and not getting anything back, I was like wtf.

yeah this is the thing, i have yet to get a record off my one friend, and I sold him a couple of records like half a year ago and have not gotten dough for them yet, i have not brought it up really don't want to, but iam getting to the point where iam not gonna help the dude out with music anymore

i don't think its selfish to want something back, and really i not concerned about getting records back but at least know the dude is looking out for me, i know he has run into records that i needed (in the dollar bin no less) and not picked them up for me, i generally will pick up something for him if its under $10 and i know he needs it and a couple times i didnt ask for the money

i think this is reading like a definition of a sucker

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

iam getting to the point where iam not gonna help the dude out with music anymore

I think you're way past that point. There is a difference between giving stuff in the spirit of altruism, and just straight getting played. Some people don't realize it though, and take things because they think you're a good dude, but they don't think twice about getting you back, I refer to these people as self-centered.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Always more fun digging with someone.....especially at a "one time only" dig as opposed to a store.

That being said.......N*th*n.......check your voice mail.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Would you guys rather dig solo or with someone else?
    I enjoy the company, especially when you're going through multiple hours worth of records.

Also if you hit the right crates and get some good records, and your digging partener hits crap and comes away with nothing, do you give him a few pieces of your haul, or just say "lets smoke a blunt at the crib and listen to the heat I picked up?"
    We both try to make sure both find good stuff (man, this is very tough to write and properly avoid ). And yes, we have looked out for each other even when we're not together, and often do trades.

I've said it before, though. Finding a good digging partner is harder than finding a good sexual partner.

trying to pick the right stack to start on...

'friends' trying to tear through as many records as possible to get the 'gems' before the other guy =

Why is this not a good look? Plus, no matter how fast you dig if you miss that one crate you're shit out luck anyways.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    RGV,
    Any luck out on Lonk Guyland??

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Always more fun digging with someone.....especially at a "one time only" dig as opposed to a store.

That being said.......N*th*n.......check your voice mail.

Got in late last night, I'll give you a ring now.

We both try to make sure both find good stuff (man, this is very tough to write and properly avoid ).

I'm not attacking you canonical, but people need to chill with their ayo-paranoia so much that they don't know how to phrase things or are afraid to say something because of the ayo-police. Some of you must have some serious hang-ups if you can't talk about friends without evoking some inner homophobia.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i dig with my dad. he doesnt know shit about records but he loves looking. "awww pat, this "ten years after" record is great! oh Kraftwerk! i saw them live!"

i dig with my dad. he doesnt know shit about records but he loves looking. "awww pat, this "ten years after" record is great! oh Kraftwerk! i saw them live!"

do you drive yet the_mack?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    haha yes i do drive

but my brother, he's 20 years old and still doesnt have a license

RGV,
    Any luck out on Lonk Guyland??

I've been meaning to write you about it. I went to Infinity but you could tell it had been picked over. Guy wouldn't let me go through the back either. I ended up with a sealed Lost Man OST and the Carla Thomas & Otis REdding Stax record, both cheap so all in all it wasn't bad. I didn't go to the other spot because I had left my roundtrip ticket on the train and was so pissed about having to pay my fare again I just went home. I did have a half hour in between trains so I walked into the local watering hole while I waited. Oh boy, straight out of a movie, I walk in, the doorbells ring, the 45 scratches to a halt, and everyone turns to ice grill me. There were two bikers and four blue collars sitting at the bar, and I had one of those moments that feels like an hour deciding whether I should walk right back out or pull a chair. I decided to stay much to chagrin of the patrons. The bartender gives me that "waddya want" in longislandeese, I order a bud on draft, thinking he's going to give me a pint, and he serves me this tiny ass cup, like 8oz or something, and charges me a dollar. Thats my kind of price so I had three while I waited on my train, listened to the drunk bikers argue over exhaust pipes, and watched the blue collars yelling at the ponies on tv. It was kind of surreal.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

We both try to make sure both find good stuff (man, this is very tough to write and properly avoid ).
    I'm not attacking you canonical, but people need to chill with their ayo-paranoia so much that they don't know how to phrase things or are afraid to say something because of the ayo-police. Some of you must have some serious hang-ups if you can't talk about friends without evoking some inner homophobia.
    Haha, it was more of a fun-challenge then being scared of ayo-police. It never occured to me that people were actually scurred of getting ayo'd.