Please post under the review of Alfie OST

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1616
This record supposedly had a drum break on it. Actually, I wouldn???t even call it that. The title song, Alfie???s Theme opens with some hits on the drum and a little roll and that???s it. It???s not even an open beat. Thank God I didn???t spend any money on this thing. The record is basically straight ahead jazz. This is what you get when you don???t bring your portable with you.
This record does not have a drum break on it. Actually, you should forget about drum breaks for a second and think about the tenor sax. If you are just getting into jazz and you want to know where to start, Sonny Rollins is a good place. His tone is rich and gritty and his soloing is complex, but not too far "out". Rollins made three albums for Impulse and this is the best one. Oliver Nelson arranges pieces for a large ensemble that features other jazz greats such as Kenny Burrell, JJ Johnson and Phil Woods. The recording is by Rudy Van Gelder. He captures the layers of Nelson's great arranging and lets Rollins slide in and out of the open spaces and bounce around on top. You can hear everything perfectly. This is great, because each time you listen you will hear something new. thanks

Comments

• http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1616

This record supposedly had a drum break on it. Actually, I wouldn???t even call it that. The title song, Alfie???s Theme opens with some hits on the drum and a little roll and that???s it. It???s not even an open beat. Thank God I didn???t spend any money on this thing. The record is basically straight ahead jazz. This is what you get when you don???t bring your portable with you.

This record does not have a drum break on it. Actually, you should forget about drum breaks for a second and think about the tenor sax. If you are just getting into jazz and you want to know where to start Sonny Rollins is a good place. His tone is rich and gritty and his soloing is complex, but not too far "out". Rollins made three albums for Impulse and this is the best one. Oliver Nelson arranges pieces for a large ensemble that features other jazz greats such as Kenny Burrell, JJ Johnson and Phil Woods. The recording is by Rudy Van Gelder. He captures the layers of Nelson's great arranging and lets Rollins slide in and out of the open spaces and bounce around on top. You can hear everything perfectly. This great, because each time you listen you will hear something new.[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I still don't know what that means. I watched the PBJ video too.

I'm also clueless about is one...

• A couple of years time you'll be running back to the spot you sold all those jazz joints you couldn't get into .. That's the power of jazz, you discover something new everytime you listen to it

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have to say... I'm quite disappointed in the Soul Strut massive. After all this "wow, it would be really cool if I could write my own review and rate the record.. fuck this Motown bullshit.. yadadadyadda.." very few of you have stepped up and written reviews. Yet my inbox is flooded with people complaining about the ones that exist.

A couple of years time you'll be running back to the spot you sold all those jazz joints you couldn't get into .. That's the power of jazz, you discover something new everytime you listen to it

Or you can send all jazz records to:

Fatback Interprizes, LLC
    334578 Big Dude Way
    Rishmonde, VA 222222

I send you back ten times worth in breaks.

I have to say... I'm quite disappointed in the Soul Strut massive.

but not surprised, I'm sure.

I'd like to counter some of the reviews that are written first with respect to jazz.

I respect Motown67 for his writing overall. I've just had to conclude that he really doesn't like jazz. And that's fine. I think he is easily one of the most thoughtful writers on here.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I have to say... I'm quite disappointed in the Soul Strut massive. After all this "wow, it would be really cool if I could write my own review and rate the record.. fuck this Motown bullshit.. yadadadyadda.." very few of you have stepped up and written reviews. Yet my inbox is flooded with people complaining about the ones that exist.

I will quickly address this by saying the following.

1) There are quite a few bad reviews such as the Alfie one. Most of those I wrote several years ago when I was buying a lot of stuff for drum breaks and samples. I fully admit that I do not like Be-Bop so many of those kinds of records get ass reviews.

2) That being said, I have been writing weekly record reviews for years now. Here's is my weekly reviews post:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...e1033966a48810c

I can count the number of people who reply to my reviews on one hand. Since Raj has added the ability to add your own reviews to existing one, about 10 people have joined in. I've written almost 3,000 reviews, there's bound to be crap, but people are always saying, "OH, I wish I could add." "It would really be good if we could give our own opinion because I don't agree with what you wrote." Blah, blah, blah. But I don't see shit from the critics.[/b] Just sayin.

I will quickly address this by saying the following.

1) There are quite a few bad reviews such as the Alfie one. Most of those I wrote several years ago when I was buying a lot of stuff for drum breaks and samples. I fully admit that I do not like Be-Bop so many of those kinds of records get ass reviews.

2) That being said, I have been writing weekly record reviews for years now. Here's is my weekly reviews post:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...e1033966a48810c

I can count the number of people who reply to my reviews on one hand. Since Raj has added the ability to add your own reviews to existing one, about 10 people have joined in. I've written almost 3,000 reviews, there's bound to be crap, but people are always saying, "OH, I wish I could add." "It would really be good if we could give our own opinion because I don't agree with what you wrote." Blah, blah, blah. But I don't see shit from the critics.[/b] Just sayin.

Why don't you like be-bop?

ps--I'm not trying to son you. Because I'm the one who always gets sonned when I start these threads. For example, I had no idea you could post another review under the OG.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    People are full of big talk when it comes to writing about records. At Waxidermy we have over 50 "reviewers" signed up, yet only about 10 who have posted more than a couple of times. Most have reviewed nothing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Although i am of the non-writing, big talking (its coming i am just taking my time to make my essay right..school/charity project=priority)

I have always looked for a place to prop up Motown for his efforts (waxidermy also of course) This could be it.

Your reviews are always interesting and have aided the purchase/noticing of quite a number of pieces for me. Notwithstanding the constant and ever exanding

Always a class act and a dedicated passionate writer/participant my hat oges off to you Motown (also on that political shit )

Its like making mixes for someone and not getting any feedback.. please to show more interest people (me included)

that is all