Comped tracks - good thing or bad thing

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I just found a great, unknown Jazz/Funk record on a tiny German label. I have never seen the record before. One of the tracks off the LP is "mind-blowing". It instantly became one of my favorite songs. While looking for some other records by the same band on the internet, I found out that my new favorite track has been on a tepid funk terd compilation. I was a little disappointed , because I just found the original record for cheap. I thought I was one of the few people who know that record. A frustrating experience for a record collector, right? But then, for a seller, comped tracks might be a good sales promotion for the original vinyl. How do you feel about this? Are comped tracks an issue for you at all? I mean, I'm still happy that I found the record. Very happy. Please don't get me wrong. I'm just a little disappointed that my favorite song off that record has been comped already.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I thought I was one of the few people to know about that record.

You still are, but the other few people already comped that. Sowhat? You have the original, so why worry? Me personally, I dislike comps alot (although I buy some from time to time, but very few), as it is a total 2nd hand taste thing...but even if the track got comped, you found the first hand thing, so no worries...then also, I am no seller, so I don't know about the relationship of original tracks sales boost b/c something got comped...but there must be some correlation...what record was it, if I may ask?

peace,

s. dojah

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    what record was it, if I may ask?

what record was it, if I may ask?

oh, ok, another German ....keep it for yourself and don't tell nobody...infact, better not listen to it, someone near might hear it

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

oh, ok, another German

did you buy the gewitter lp yet?

oh, ok, another German

did you buy the gewitter lp yet?

i missed it on the bay last week...went for 5 euros

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i missed it on the bay last week...went for 5 euros

i've seen it! haha. just trying to find out your eBay ID...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    always assume that a record is known because it probably is.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    always assume that a record is known because it probably is.

of course! no question! 99,9% of all old records have been listened to before. someone must have bought that stuff when it came out.
    but how do you feel when you find out that one of your favorite tracks has been comped? does it matter to you?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Are you saying a record's listening experience is diminished by the number of people who may have heard it? I would disagree with this.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Are you saying a record's listening experience is diminished by the number of people who may have heard it?

no!

i still love that track. and i'm still very happy that i found the record in the first place. but wouldn't it be even cooler to find a totally unknow record. a new discovery? something that you can share and something that you can tell people about? imagine the trading possiblities. playing that record to others... wouldn't it be (in some cases) more fun to play/find a totally unknown record?

of course, comped or not comped, the track itself is fantastic. my listening experience is the same. but thinking about the current market value or trading value... i don't know.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I just found a great, unknown Jazz/Funk record on a tiny German label. I have never seen the record before. One of the tracks off the LP is "mind-blowing".

Dude I love that record too.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    rotflmao @ THIS THREAD!!!!!

it's cool when it's unknown but it also can hurt...it's actually good when a track is comped because it can help the value of the original...sometimes stuff is so obscure it's worthless. this is strictly from a re-sell perspective.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I just found a great, unknown Jazz/Funk record on a tiny German label. I have never seen the record before. One of the tracks off the LP is "mind-blowing".

i said mindblowing!

• You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.
    I'm sure you've got some kind of talents, something that endears
    you to your friends and relatives.

Yet you want to attach your ego to another artist's work.

You attach your ego, bad move.

You're bound to be let down.

The record in question: did you write any of the songs?
    Did you play an instrument? Engineer the recording?
    Arrange the piece?

No, you didn't do schitt.

Except pull from an old pile.

You pulled from a pile, that's all you did.

So, to review, what did you do, with regards to this record?

You didn't do schitt, so stop hand-wringing.

I'm sure you're strong, so build a house.

I'm sure you're smart, so write a book.

Stop attaching your ego to a non-existent race to a faggot finish.

I'm tired of hearing this kind of schitt.

If it weren't you, it'd be someone else, outside of maybe 3 or 4
    street-certified archaeologists, all of y'all discoverers are the
    damn same, and you need to do something more contstructive.

Fuck a Christopher Columbus, Fuck America.

There are two eggs in the pan, and one of them is on a compilation.

You are still hungry.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.

Arrange the piece?

You are still hungry.

thank you, sir.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

A frustrating experience for a record collector, right? But then, for a seller, comped tracks might be a good sales promotion for the original vinyl.

How do you feel about this? Are comped tracks an issue for you at all?

[reynaldo]On the contrary, its presence on a compilation validates your taste.[/reynaldo]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    comped tracks might be a good sales promotion for the original vinyl.

Yeah, if I see the original cheap.

Hell no! As much old vinyl as I find, there are a lot of things on these reissues that I won't find elsewhere. Unless I pay $20 for two songs on one 45, which isn't really my schtick.

I don't get what the big fuss is anyway. Reissues are a public service. I'm not missing out on some good music just 'cause I don't have the original release from 30-40 years ago.

I mean, I'm still happy that I found the record. Very happy. Please don't get me wrong. I'm just a little disappointed that my favorite song off that record has been comped already.

No offense - I don't mean to sound salty, but what's in it for you?

it's cool when it's unknown but it also can hurt...it's actually good when a track is comped because it can help the value of the original...sometimes stuff is so obscure it's worthless. this is strictly from a re-sell perspective.

Market value is to good music as a fish is to a bicycle.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I mean, I'm still happy that I found the record. Very happy. Please don't get me wrong. I'm just a little disappointed that my favorite song off that record has been comped already.

don't know. i can't explain. your question is weird though. why do you buy old records?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

don't know. i can't explain. your question is weird though. why do you buy old records?

oh, you don't. haha. please excuse...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    why do you buy old records?

Cheaper than CDs

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i said mindblowing!

The best part is Marco prolly has about 10 copies of this.

don't know. i can't explain. your question is weird though.

I'll rephrase the shit then: if you have an original in your possession and it happens to be on a reissue, exactly how does that affect you?

why do you buy old records?

I buy whatever happens to be in the bins that looks good. Old rekkids? New reissues? It's all fair game.

I was buying classic soul 45's in the 50-cent bin when you were shittin' your pants over Al B. Sure! cassettes, so don't even trip. AND I'd turn around and buy the reissue albums on Charly and other labels. It's all out there for the taking.

I buy whatever happens to be in the bins that looks good. Old rekkids? New reissues? It's all fair game.

I was buying classic soul 45's in the 50-cent bin when you were shittin' your pants over Al B. Sure! cassettes, so don't even trip. AND I'd turn around and buy the reissue albums on Charly and other labels. It's all out there for the taking.

lol...imo there's too much og material in the field to eff around with comps, only if i can b sure i won't see stuff for a longer time (rare gogo, boogie from the us which is hardly available in the eu) i go for a comp....2nd hand taste is always tasting a bit less tasting...

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I just found a great, unknown Jazz/Funk record on a tiny German label. I have never seen the record before. One of the tracks off the LP is "mind-blowing". It instantly became one of my favorite songs.
    While looking for some other records by the same band on the internet, I found out that my new favorite track has been on a tepid funk terd compilation. I was a little disappointed , because I just found the original record for cheap. I thought I was one of the few people who know that record.
    A frustrating experience for a record collector, right? But then, for a seller, comped tracks might be a good sales promotion for the original vinyl.

Good question. I think (vintage) record collecting (the kind you describe above) is one of those (poor man's) substitutes for genuine art collecting. You want to be the record to be an "original" or as close to that as possible, which, of course, is nonsense. But I'm like that too. Not proud of it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I just found a great, unknown Jazz/Funk record on a tiny German label. I have never seen the record before. One of the tracks off the LP is "mind-blowing". It instantly became one of my favorite songs.
    While looking for some other records by the same band on the internet, I found out that my new favorite track has been on a tepid funk terd compilation. I was a little disappointed , because I just found the original record for cheap. I thought I was one of the few people who know that record.

Good question. I think (vintage) record collecting (the kind you describe above) is one of those (poor man's) substitutes for genuine art collecting. You want to be the record to be an "original" or as close to that as possible, which, of course, is nonsense. But I'm like that too. Not proud of it.

me neither. i wasn't trying to say that buying reissues or comps is dull though.

• You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.

Arrange the piece?

You are still hungry.

I HEREBY DUB THEE SOULSTRUT POST OF THE DECADE!!!

So sick of this particular breed of collector scum. That post was like a wonderful sorbet to cleanse the palate for the next course. Good show, old chap!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.

Arrange the piece?

You are still hungry.

I HEREBY DUB THEE SOULSTRUT POST OF THE DECADE!!!

So sick of this particular breed of collector scum. That post was like a wonderful sorbet to cleanse the palate for the next course. Good show, old chap!

!sigh!

Market value is to good music as a fish is to a bicycle.

i agree, the music is the main thing but value is very important for many reasons, especially when you try to make a living buying and selling records.