rawest of the raw free jazz (post pics here)

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
Strickly on some can you stand the rawness!!! Please no labels like Impulse. We are talking strickly the brain bleeders. Killers on ESP, palm and america are okay I guess. Privates need apply. The kind of albums that make you lose a year of my life every time you listen to them and your girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/roomate is eyeing to throw out when you leave for a long weekend.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    lots of intense shit out there...I think Alan Silva- Luna Surface is the only thing I've physically been unable to even listen to. Some other obvious ones:

Peter Brotzmann- Machine Gun
    Arthur Doyle + Four- Alabama Feeling
    Milford Graves- Ba Bi

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    can you point me to the sample aisle where I can listen to this raw free jazz? Clips?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I just got a few "dying pigs" records today that I thought'd be good. oh well. my digi just ran out of batteries or Id post more, but this one sounds like the universe being born:

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Your milford graves has alien fungus infection! I will trade for water damaged funk.

If we get into the brozmann / FMP camp we could be here all night.

Actually some of the stuff I'm posting in comparison is mellow....

let's do this...

PS I still need a copy of "alabama feeling"....

the fungus gives it feeling. I need that dunbar.

some more shit i wrangled from the 1 bar of batteries:

Dunbar is cool and super sloppy. Mouth harp and french horn with titles like "three points of the lotus". It's the most hilarious free jazz LP I own. I still can't tell if they're serious.

Your nommo will give me trouble sleeping. shit is heavy. Wish I had it...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Please no labels like Impulse

Dunbar is cool and super sloppy. Mouth harp and french horn with titles like "three points of the lotus". It's the most hilarious free jazz LP I own. I still can't tell if they're serious.

There's a really fine line between really good free shit and shit that looks (and sounds) like this, Ive found. It can get confusing.

BTW, I like that Babi WAY more than the Nommo. Now I need that one from **l* university.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I think if I could have one strutters record collection it would be Andrew's.

If my girlfriend would hate for me to have one strutters collection, it would be Andrew's.

I see you got that Gruntfest record btw, nice one.

• Killers on ESP, palm and america are okay I guess.

I think if I could have one strutters record collection it would be Andrew's.

If my girlfriend would hate for me to have one strutters collection, it would be Andrew's.

I see you got that Gruntfest record btw, nice one.

That gruntfest was waiting for me for two dollah in Boston... one of the only interesting things I found.

I wish my BYG/actuel collection looked like that...

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Does anyone have any CCMC lps? I was gunna pick up volume 5 I belive not sure how great their albums are, and the value? Any info would be appriciated

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    lots of intense shit out there...I think Alan Silva- Luna Surface is the only thing I've physically been unable to even listen to. Some other obvious ones:

Peter Brotzmann- Machine Gun
    Arthur Doyle + Four- Alabama Feeling
    Milford Graves- Ba Bi

Dave Burrell--Echo

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

That Steve Lacy "The Gap" LP is so utterly soft.
    The Ertunc would bleed that shit in a heartbeat.

You will enjoy your trip to Chicago, Andrew!
    "No text on spine" LPs for days.

Collecting free jazz and not running the entire Actuel series =

I think there's more diversity in the other midsize Euro lables (FMP, Ogun, Hat Hut, Incus). After a while many of the Actuels are 6 and 1/2 dozen--prolly cuz they were recorded during a relatively brief time.

The FMP catalog is pretty much unfucwidable IMgeekyfreejazzO.

And where the fuck were ya'll fuckers when I was getting dragged through the coals for liking free jazz?

Oh wait, that was like 4+ years ago!

[bowlcut][/bowlcut]

In free jazz terms, the Actuel series would be the equivalent of Ultimate Breaks and Beats for the aspiring record hound. Pretty much every major US player (sans Ayler and Taylor, of course) is represented in the catalog. Just saying.

The FMP catalog is actually pretty massive and while high quality, how many different Breuker/Brotzmann/Bennink permutations do you need?

And while I find Ogun to be particularly boring, early Incus is that shit.

What's your take on Hat Hut/Hat art?

The best thing that Hat Hut/Hat Art ever did was the Donald and Peggy Knaack LP and that shit isn't even remotely jazz. Joe McPhee is strong, but do you need to put out every waking noise the man has made? I give the label a 4 out of 10.

That Steve Lacy "The Gap" LP is so utterly soft.
    The Ertunc would bleed that shit in a heartbeat.

You will enjoy your trip to Chicago, Andrew!
    "No text on spine" LPs for days.

Collecting free jazz and not running the entire Actuel series =

Ahh it's just taste. Personally I'm not a completist, I have about half and pick up what I can. I'll go to bat for the Gap.. I'm not a big lacy fan, but potts & mcghie save the session. Plus, America's the label BYG/actuel more or less turned into, just a few years down the road.

I am feeling no text on spine tho!!

It's easy to burn out on Joe mcphee, leo smith, david murray and those types... as much as certain artists were under-represented in the 70s, they've been way over-represented in the 90s - now.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Illest Hat Hut shit is the Max Roach/Archie Shepp LP where Max Roach has a song by himself and it just sounds like a drum machine stopping and starting

Illest Hat Hut shit is the Max Roach/Archie Shepp LP where Max Roach has a song by himself and it just sounds like a drum machine stopping and starting

Yes. The Long March.

I even like the Viena Art Orchestra. But that's more like schnizel jass.

I really don't dig on the "arty/academic" free jazz.

• Can somebody give me a price on each one and which ones have samples, beats, and/or breaks.

$1-$100, none

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Can somebody give me a price on each one and which ones have samples, beats, and/or breaks.
    this album has a sick break on it(im not kidding either!)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Can somebody give me a price on each one and which ones have samples, beats, and/or breaks.

Peter Brotzmann will break your ears.

The Christmann/Shonenberg "Remarks" has some pretty crazy electronic possible sample material. Same with the ICP Tentet. Cracklebox!

The Manfred Schoof 5tet has the drummer from Can on it. Nothing like Can though.

you have hella Cecil Taylor's, Mr. Back.