1920's, 1930's, 1940's...what do you listen to?

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Some Strutters have been mentioning that they are buying 78's lately, and this got me to thinking which of you are listening to the music of the 20's, 30's and 40's. Not genre specific...I'm just wanting to know what you're feeling.....Complete fav's of mine...RUTH ETTINGANDY KIRK AND HIS CLOUDS OF JOY (with Mary Lou Williams and Pha Terrell)CLIFF EDWARDS LONNIE JOHNSONMISSISSIPPI JOHN HURTCHARLES BROWNROY BROWNWYNONIE HARRISso what else you all got?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Get Cats & the Fiddle

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Basically blues, r&b & a little country, some 40s jazz. I recently got rid of any jazz I had that was pre-bop so 20's-30's Jazz is no go for me anymore. I would definitely cosign on the last 5 names on your list.

Get Cats & the Fiddle

Here they are from 1939, singing about how awesome
    it is to smoke dope:

Cats and the Fiddle - Killin' Jive

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    CATS AND THE FIDDLE are genius...

Love them too..

I especially like 40's Vocal Groups like:

THE FOUR KNIGHTS!!!!!

Best Vocal group harmony ever (except in the 50's they went absolutely pop and really awful). Check the 40's for the realness

Also...The Red Caps are amazing!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Basically blues, r&b & a little country, some 40s jazz. I recently got rid of any jazz I had that was pre-bop so 20's-30's Jazz is no go for me anymore. I would definitely cosign on the last 5 names on your list.

Glad you agree...Charles Brown is close to my favorite artist period! So you lost the feel for 20's and 30's...just got tired of it? Or was it not your flavour to beging with?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    and funny...as I entered that info...Charles Brown popped up during shuffle on my Itunes...Maybe becuase I have about 200 different songs by him, but it was still kinda spooky like...

Glad you agree...Charles Brown is close to my favorite artist period! So you lost the feel for 20's and 30's...just got tired of it? Or was it not your flavour to beging with?
    Just got sick of it. Unfortunately for those records, I got sick of them about the time I was getting rid of a bunch of stuff, so they were history.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

Just got sick of it. Unfortunately for those records, I got sick of them about the time I was getting rid of a bunch of stuff, so they were history.

overlistening is a common malady...and i definitely understand getting sick of things. anyone else you like a bunch?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

ANDY KIRK AND HIS CLOUDS OF JOY (with Mary Lou Williams and Pha Terrell)

This sounds incredible. Got mp3?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

ANDY KIRK AND HIS CLOUDS OF JOY (with Mary Lou Williams and Pha Terrell)

This sounds incredible. Got mp3?

Hey Johnny. Yeah man I do have...and it is incredible. I'll be honest though, I really don't know how to load them up to the site. PM me if you want and I'll try to figure it out.

overlistening is a common malady...and i definitely understand getting sick of things. anyone else you like a bunch?
    If you are into Charles Brown, check out some of these 40s/50s R&B dudes
    Amos Milburn
    Ivory Joe Hunter
    Louis Jordan
    Nappy Brown
    Roy Milton
    Percy Mayfield
    Floyd Dixon

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    anything by this guy...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

OOF, sorry for the big image

also this is my main man

OOF, sorry for the big image

also this is my main man

His works with Leroy Carr are possibly my favorite pre-war blues recordings.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    If we're talking the blues then I really dig this guy:

Love this one, great stuff.

Love this one, great stuff.
    Actually, that whole series of compilation Lps that Yazoo put out: eg. 'Going Away Blues 1925-36' or whatever are all worthwhile to pick up for great pre-war blues. Also Blind Willie McTell is the man.

Ha, King Records did a couple of cool Risque Blues CDs a couple years back "Big 10" Record", "My Ding A Ling", "It Ain't The Meat", "Keep On Churning" etc. Great stuff, all Jump Blues/R&B.

I have an album called something like "Copulatin' Blues" which is a compilation of all dirty songs from the 30's. It's some amusing stuff. I think I have volume 2 of it too.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    those guys are great

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Blind Willie Johnson is GOSPEL!

Blind Willie McTell = G.O.A.T.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Nice topic!

I love Duke Ellington's work from pretty much every period. I hate "Take the A train" and that kind of crowd pleasers as much as anybody else but there are so many adventurous, eerie, dreamy, agressive, grooving tracks recorded by him before 1950. Like "On a Turquoise Cloud" or of course "Caravan". Man, I listen to that very early recording of it a lot (end of twenties?)... that's so dissonant and wild, unbelievable.

I also like the old Xavier Cugat et al. Moody early latin, bolero stuff.

Dense, Hollywood style background music with all these layers of strings is kinda soothing too. Mikl??s R??zsa's "Spellbound" or "The Lost Weekend". I also like early Indian soundtrack songs.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    anything by this guy...

EXCEPT this latter-day album (not exactly Slim at his best)!!

Blind Willie Johnson is GOSPEL!

Oh, come on, you want to get into piddly-ass semantics? It's blues music with a religious viewpoint. It's not like there's a gospel choir singing or anything, it's a guy and a guitar playing blues music singing about religious matters...does the fact that it's got a religious lean make it any less good?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Skip James

and

Elmore James

the elmore stuff is insane... the broomdusters were

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Bix Beiderbecke

Jean Goldkette's Band. 1926