Art Blakey Monk OG check!

JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone knows which address etc. these should have?-Art Blakely "Moanin" Blue Note #4003-Thelonius Monk vol. 2 (Genius of modern music) Blue NotecheersJ

Comments

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts
    Anyone knows which address etc. these should have?

-Art Blakely "Moanin" Blue Note #4003

-Thelonius Monk vol. 2 (Genius of modern music) Blue Note

cheers

J

I am not shure,but I believe that OG "Moanin" is the deep groove version. 2nd pressing=regular label with 63rd street adress, and 3rd pressing=New York,Usa

I think that the OG Monk LP should be a 10" LP. I believe that the first 12" LP pressing is the deep groove version. 2nd pressing=Lexington avenue.

• The first address on the Blakey is 47 West 63rd street with the deep groove on the label.

The first address on the Monk LP is Lexington Street address. The 12" lp is a reissue of two original 10" LP's from the early 50's.

ap

• The Monk should also have no copywright under the "E" in "Blue Note" on the label and no printing on the spine (no title or catalog number). The Monk is not that sought after though, usually goes for less than a bill, because it is not "first state" due to what was said previously about it being a re-issue of two earlier 10"s.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Thanks boys!
    I paid $1 each and the Blakey is og.
    I recall the Monk saying something bout "first time on record" bla bla on the back.
    Never knew Shihab recorded with him, bombaclaad wicked!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dang, I thought this thread was about the Art Blakey and Monk LP on Atlantic. Is the OG of that the purple and orange label? Mine is the red and green jernt, so I am thinking it isnt OG. BTW when did atlantic stop the purple & orange and start the red and green jernt?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Red & Green is late 70s press after WB bought Atlantic

• dang, I thought this thread was about the Art Blakey and Monk LP on Atlantic. Is the OG of that the purple and orange label? Mine is the red and green jernt, so I am thinking it isnt OG. BTW when did atlantic stop the purple & orange and start the red and green jernt?

first pressing on this item is actually flat black label ( mono ) or mint green label ( first stereo ). red and purple and blue and green labels with fan logo's are seconds on this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    first pressing on this item is actually flat black label ( mono ) or mint green label ( first stereo ).

I saw the first Atco label design recently... I had no idea

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Red & Green is late 70s press after WB bought Atlantic

I think red/green first appeared in 1969/70, no? Mid/late 70's pressings say warner in the fine print. earlier ones have an address...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dang, I thought this thread was about the Art Blakey and Monk LP on Atlantic. Is the OG of that the purple and orange label? Mine is the red and green jernt, so I am thinking it isnt OG. BTW when did atlantic stop the purple & orange and start the red and green jernt?

first pressing on this item is actually flat black label ( mono ) or mint green label ( first stereo ). red and purple and blue and green labels with fan logo's are seconds on this.

when did they stop using the black label? I was just checking my atlantics and the only black labels I have are my Chris Conner jernts...dang, I dont have as many atlantic OGs as I thought. dang. Oh well, you never stop learning do ya? thanks!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

when did they stop using the black label? I was just checking my atlantics and the only black labels I have are my Chris Conner jernts...dang, I dont have as many atlantic OGs as I thought. dang. Oh well, you never stop learning do ya? thanks!

maybe 1959 or '60?

I read about this once, but I'm sure real headz know more of the deal than I

50's are black mono, or green stereo

early 60's are "fan" logo green/blue stereo, red/purple mono

mid to late 60's are the same, but instead of the fan it's just two-tone

early 70's is the two-tone red/green with a NY addy

mid/late is the red/green w/ warner in fine print

Is this correct?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    1960 switch to green/blue and red/purple

1968 switch to green/red

1973 atlantic address changes to wea

I just looked this up...

• hella ancient shit is cool...

the order of atlantic ( to the best of my understanding )...

solid black and mint green stereo... ( to 1959 )
    sprial green and blue / spiral red and purple... ( to 1959 to 1963 )
    green and blue with fan logo / red and purple with fan logo ( 1963 to 1969 )

BLUE and GREEN is STEREO. RED and PURPLE is MONO.

labels that are around the transition are rare in the old press... in example if you ever find a near mint john coltrane giant steps in the BLACK label it is worth $1000.

some examples...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4705428987

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4705490809

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4712839351

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4712921656