eBay Question

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I haven't gotten any e-mails regarding my saved searches in more than a week and running manual searches confirms that there items I should have gotten e-mails about.Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it's specific to my account or if it's on a larger scale.Any ideas what I can do about it? All my settings appear to be straight...

Comments

• woah, i'll have to check that. i haven't gotten those emails in a minute and one particular search produces emails (not the item in question) every other day or so...

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    yeah i've been having the same problem and was going to make a post about this too.

last time it worked for me was mid-january.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Sometimes eBay is so delinquent, it emails me my favorite searches after the auction ends. Hey, thanks!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    woah, i'll have to check that. i haven't gotten those emails in a minute and one particular search produces emails (not the item in question) every other day or so...

Yeah, I have about thirty of them and it's rare that I don't get one or two e-mails every day.

yeah i've been having the same problem and was going to make a post about this too.

Huh... for me it's been more recent; maybe since the 15th of this month.

• I've been getting mine but keyword searches do expire after about 100 days (I forget the number), so you have to update.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've been getting my Saved Search emails regularly. Every now and then I'll get them in the middle of the day instead of overnight, but I haven't had any problems that I can recall.

• well mine all have plenty of time and I just found an item ending today that I should've gotten an email about.

Thanks to this thread my sniper is set!!!

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

Huh... for me it's been more recent; maybe since the 15th of this month.

well i don't have too many saved searches (about 10-15).. maybe none of them showed up since mid to late jan.

still, it definitely hasn't been working for the past week or so. a couple of the records on my saves list are showing up when i do regular searches but i'm not getting emails from ebay.

Okay, I got another one:

What is the purpose of all these e-mails trying to obtain your eBay information?

eBay claims that credit card information is stored on a separate server or some such thing and therefore shouldn't be accessible to people that crack your account--is that just not true?

Or is it simply for the thrill of placing a bunch of bids on schitt you don't want?

Or is it in order to scam buyers by putting up a bunch of fake listings and gambling that some of the accounts are dormant so that the "seller" doesn't become aware of it?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Is there a way to have more than 99 saved searches on one account?

Is there a way to have more than 99 saved searches on one account?

I assume that this question is purely academic and does not, in fact, bespeak a privileging of quantity over quality?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RE: The scammer thing. I think if they were to get your sign in, and they wanted to change your preferences, such as "credit card on file", they'd be able to see the info for the old one on file. Your sign in can be used to obviously:

1) Sell a bunch of bogus crap, collect money and not send
    2) Bid on crap, get it sent, then do a paypal chargeback
    3) Use the credit card to buy stuff elsewhere.

RE: The scammer thing. I think if they were to get your sign in, and they wanted to change your preferences, such as "credit card on file", they'd be able to see the info for the old one on file.

They can't though--what they'll see is something like: XXXX XXXX XXXX 2345.

So it's either that somebody with more advanced hacking skillz actually can retrieve that information, or one of the other scams that you described, which all seem pretty labor intensive, chancy and low return.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Nah. It would only take 40 "newish laptops" to make $20,000 in one run.
    eBay earning power is mad real if you're selling electronics, cars, or (surprisingly) wholesaling clothes.

Nah. It would only take 40 "newish laptops" to make $20,000 in one run.

I suppose, but there are a lot of "ifs" between initiation of the scam and 20K.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I know I'm not perpetuating the subject but my rant is ebay related. Nothing kills an addiction to ebay like a crappy experience. Yesterday I recieved in the mail 150 45's, they were simply stacked (without sleeves) in a box with a few hard-foam flocks that broke apart during transit. Additionally, the grading was grossly inaccurate, for example records graded at VG+ were good at best. Most of the box (short of being broken or cracked) were poor and should never have been listed! I got my $ back, but the whole experience has jaded me.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I know I'm not perpetuating the subject but my rant is ebay related. Nothing kills an addiction to ebay like a crappy experience. Yesterday I recieved in the mail 150 45's, they were simply stacked (without sleeves) in a box with a few hard-foam flocks that broke apart during transit. Additionally, the grading was grossly inaccurate, for example records graded at VG+ were good at best. Most of the box (short of being broken or cracked) were poor and should never have been listed! I got my $ back, but the whole experience has jaded me.

My dad just went through nearly the exact same scenario

He bought a boxload of 45s that were graded VG or higher from a dealer who sells ONLY 45s that had strictly positive feedback... and got a box full of sleeveless crapped-up bullschitt stacked with newspaper stuffed in between... the guy couldn't believe my dad was dissatisfied and said he's never had any problems before, and grudgingly offered a refund.

He asked that my dad please pack them carefully back the way he received them!

My dad just went through nearly the exact same scenario

He bought a boxload of 45s that were graded VG or higher from a dealer who sells ONLY 45s that had strictly positive feedback... and got a box full of sleeveless crapped-up bullschitt stacked with newspaper stuffed in between... the guy couldn't believe my dad was dissatisfied and said he's never had any problems before, and grudgingly offered a refund.

He asked that my dad please pack them carefully back the way he received them!

It's pretty cool that your dad collects records, though... what's he into?

It's pretty cool that your dad collects records, though... what's he into?

He likes to think he's really eclectic, and his collection helped inspire mine, but at the end of the day he's about pop from the 60s to present, novelty records, and classical guitar

The good news is he gives me most of the old soul records he finds

• I haven't gotten any e-mails regarding my saved searches in more than a week and running manual searches confirms that there items I should have gotten e-mails about.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it's specific to my account or if it's on a larger scale.

Any ideas what I can do about it? All my settings appear to be straight...

I've been having this problem, emailed them about it and this was the response:

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for writing to eBay. My name is Pam and I understand that you
    are not receiving any emails for your Favorite Searches.

Please let me assure you that I've provided this information to our
    engineers for further investigation. Thank you for reporting to us that
    you are not receiving all of the Favorite Seller emails. We have
    received some other reports of this and are currently investigating
    issue. We will try to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I
    apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced in regards to this
    matter. Your patience during this time is greatly appreciated.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Regards,

Pam S.
    eBay Customer Support

I had also not recieved any since the 14th and today and yesterday they've come in. Write them if the problem persists.

I've received a crapload of emails notifying of search hits in the past couple days

I had also not recieved any since the 14th and today and yesterday they've come in. Write them if the problem persists.

Done--thanks.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Mine have been coming in steadily, without fail. I only have 3 at the moment. Maybe quantity has something to do with it?

Mine have been coming in steadily, without fail. I only have 3 at the moment. Maybe quantity has something to do with it?

I don't think so... not with so many other people reporting similar experiences.