AUSTIN TEXAS- any record stores?(record related)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I will be training our regional office on some new software the end of this week...may have free time on Friday for record shopping. Can I get a list of stores up in here? Not looking for secret spots, just some joints that would be in your Yellow Pages. Y'know I am looking for jazz LPs most of all, but the usual stuff applies(funk, r'n b, hip hop, OSTs,rock).I will be by 500 West 13th street as a point of reference. Anything close by?

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    did ok at that place antone's when i was out there a couple years back...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    In this order for jazz lp's:

Antone's on Guadalupe just north of 29th.

Sight on Sound on North Loop near Duval.

Waterloo on Lamar at 6th.

Also make sure to eat brisket at Ruby's Barbeque pretty much right across the street from Antone's.

Then you gotta get Miga's somewhere too. Guero's and El Sol y La Luna on South Congress are both good, but you might as well goto to Trudy's right near Antone's and Ruby's on 30th for a late brunch and also grab yourself a Silver Hurradura (sp) Mexican Martini with extra olives to go along with dem migas.

Oh yeah, for some good Cajun/Creloe food try Gene's on East 11th. I recommend the authentic roast beef po-boy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Go swimming in the Springs. So cold! So fun!

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts

was gonna say the same..but have one to add to this

musicmania (right next to Fiesta grocery store at I35 and 38th st) this place has the biggest collection of 45s ive ever seen in any store

antones has a great collection..but price is a bit up there on some stuff (assuming thats the luxury of being able to walk in there and find shit without having to dig for it on yr own)

a few of the half price books around town are ok..but never really found nething there special..aside from some deodato and klaus doldinger

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Antone's Records[/b] has a decent selection but they are priced higher than everywhere else. You are paying for the selection they have though.

Shattered Records[/b] (I think that is what it is called) just opened off South Congress at Milton (behind Mi Casa). They have a pretty decent selection but don't have dollarbin prices. I managed to pull some decent stuff out of there though. Other than Antone's, Shattered is probably your best bet to find some decent records.

Waterloo Records[/b] has some used bins, but they are heavily picked though, or the good stuff is taken by the employees before hitting the bins.

Half-Price books[/b]. Same thing here, employees are taking most of the decent records.

hope that helps

-billb

was gonna say the same..but have one to add to this

musicmania (right next to Fiesta grocery store at I35 and 38th st) this place has the biggest collection of 45s ive ever seen in any store

I done scoured those 45's at Music Mania....ain't much in there on the raer tip.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    To all: Thanks a ton! The 'Strut family share program in full effect.

question: Are all these in walking/cabbable distance from 500 13th street?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Technically yes, un-technically no ... cabbable yes

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Waterloo would be the only one close enough to walk to really at 6th and Lamar. Antones is around 32nd and Guadalupe, so that one would be a loooong walk. Half price moved even further north so like nrich said, cabbing or checking out the bus schedule is your best option.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts

Oh yeah, for some good Cajun/Creloe food try Gene's on East 11th. I recommend the authentic roast beef po-boy.

NO joke on the genes tip,,,,place is killer good

also...close to genes..lil further east on teh same street is the BEST fried fish place in existence

fish r us (make sure u tell them you wnat the BASA instead of the catfish, in the same family but MUCH tastier

NO joke on the genes tip,,,,place is killer good

also...close to genes..lil further east on teh same street is the BEST fried fish place in existence

fish r us (make sure u tell them you wnat the BASA instead of the catfish, in the same family but MUCH tastier

Yep, Fish R Us gets my co-sign as well.

• i went to MM last time i was in austin about a month ago. i didnt even bother checking the 45s because of my short time there, their lp prices are a lil high i think. it would take forever to go thru all those 45s and i bet the payoff would not be worth it.

i usually spend most of my time at waterloo now since soundexchange closed. i've found some good stuff in their used bins plus i can get all the new stuff that houston stores dont carry.

i would suggest turntable but the dudes pricing method is retarded.

His new pricing method is having you leave the records with him overnight while he looks them up on ebay to price them for you and call you back the next day.

fucking

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

His new pricing method is having you leave the records with him overnight while he looks them up on ebay to price them for you and call you back the next day.

fucking

DJ FABULOUS CHEESECAKES

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Music Mania is generally not the move.

That's crazy about Turntable's new pricing policy. I never liked that place anyway. $10 for a "Step into the AM" with a crack in it? Dude was like, "It's ONLY $10 because of the crack".

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    the chicken fried chicken at Hoovers(not Hooters)is mmmmmmmmm good!I ate there 3 nights in a row.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on Hoover's....also kick ass for breakfast, the biscuits and gravy are unfukwitable...

I have always had good luck record wise in the myriad of thrift/junk shops up and down Lamar.

also is 33 degrees not aorund anymore?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    yeah

sadly 33 degrees succumbed to the feuding of the two owners with each other

pity huh? (awesome selecion of experimental vinyl)

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    If you buy jazz of all of the places mentioned I highly suggest a visit to sound on sound.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Another dope spot is Pirahna Records, but it's north of Austin in Round Rock. I've found a lot of dope psych era rock there, but it's a bit pricey.

I would skip Music Mania right now if you're looking for vinyl. I spent about 3 hours there today. The 45s are mainly garbage juke box 45s - bad country and pop... when that haul came in I found some dope 45s, but I wouldn't bother at this point. Only thing I found today was a couple good soundtracks. They're vinyl inventory rarely gets updated, so I only hit it up once every couple months.

I've found some dope records at Cheapo a couple blocks north of Waterloo, but I was there yesterday and there wasn't much there either.

Last weekend I hit up Shattered for the first time. They don't have a record player yet and I didn't get a chance to go over the entire inventory. The records that I did find that I wanted were all priced over $15. If you go, bring a portable if you have one.

I'd suggest Antones and Sound On Sound. If you have a car Piranha, but not for Jazz. (about 30 minute drive from downtown north on IH-35.)

TrueStu