WHAT IS THE STATE OF UNDERGROUND HIP HOP?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I haven't paid attention in a few years. Kids still wear backpacks and like nasaly white MCs who speak in tongues? Clue me in.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I haven't paid attention in a few years. Kids still wear backpacks and like nasaly white MCs who speak in tongues? Clue me in.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    myspace is the new underground

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Id say there are 3 variables

1-Holders on
    Back when underground hiphop popularity was at a high a lot of random groups started coming out guetting support from the scene (the market was bigger). Like a micro version of all the new rapper explosion now. For all the Atmosphere's getting real big success there are the demigodz, apathy, copywrite etc. that were hot for a minute but have not released shit yet and a lot of crew subsiduaries (psychological getting broken down into individual rappers, jedi mind solo shit etc, and a bunch of justice league variations)These groups enjoy a loyal fanbase (holders on) but there output is not super relevant, and there are about a million of them. (think about ordering all the new releases from hiphopsite that are hyped per month)for the record though i have barely listened to any of this shit. Think about it as the opening shows for a good rapper in your local town. There are 3 opening acts from youre city. Some cuts are dope some beats are cool. Will you remember a lot of these guys let alone cop there album...?

2- The grinders
    Cats that were able to distinguish themselves, Murs, Felt, SV, aesop, blueprint, blockhead and putting out relatively good material (varying on taste please no Faux scratch out) but are oscilating in the underground/commercial limbo and still broke at the end of the day.

3- Next level shit
    Cats like madlib, Jneiro jarel,count bass D the broken beat/downtempo philly scene, bbc1 that are experimenting with hiphop roots and are branching out to jazz musicians and brazilian musicians and are inter-collaborating. They get high accolades from the "alternative media" and set themselves up with nice situations good label/fanbase/music ala stonesthrow

thats it
    hard to keep up with this shit though as rap is sprawling faster than California suburbs yet fueled by those same suburbs. Ironic isnt it.

yeah theres da rant

• It's pretty bad dude. The stuff I enjoy and bump is more influenced soul (KUFI SLAP) than rap music. I've been listening to the same 5 groups/related artistes for the past like 4 years.

If you want I can burn you a copy of my mix-cd. Pretty much underground hip-hop that hopefully won't make you cringe (no white rappers).

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF THREADS ABOUT UNDERGROUND HIP HOP?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Chops "Virtuosity" was the last underground rap cd i bought like 2 years ago. anybody else like it?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Chops "Virtuosity" was the last underground rap cd i bought like 2 years ago. anybody else like it?

DOOKEY (so was "Chilltown, NY" which I bought at the same time)!!!!! (flush sounds in background).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

LETS OPEN THIS SHITS UP

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Backpackers and Frat Boys are listening to Southern Rap/Trap/Snap/Crunk right now... people in small European countries that you've never heard of are listening to small american weirdo rap that you've never heard of, and everybody else is listening to whatever is on the radio or not listening at all.

I dare you to argue!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Backpackers and Frat Boys are listening to Southern Rap/Trap/Snap/Crunk right now... people in small European countries that you've never heard of are listening to small american weirdo rap that you've never heard of, and everybody else is listening to whatever is on the radio or not listening at all.

I dare you to argue!

• WHAT IS THE STATE OF UNDERGROUND HIP HOP?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

If you want I can burn you a copy of my mix-cd.

Yeah, that would be nice.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    for the majority of underground rap, it's the same shit that's been recycled for the past six or seven years while commercial rap has the same shit but it's only recycled for like six months and then they find something new to overkill.

• this is dispressing as well. remember when "underground" almost meant something? i blame whitey.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

DOOKEY (so was "Chilltown, NY" which I bought at the same time)!!!!! (flush sounds in background).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i thought each track really complemented the emcees, and the album as a whole was well made. i'm really surprised that nobody likes it, besides myself. I thought Bahamadia, Talib Kweli, Planet Asia, all of 'em killed it. Course there's like 5 songs that are crap, but i just skip those. I also think it grew on me, cuz it got a lot of play in the car. I'm not one for sloppy beats and rhymes, ala Hieroglyphics, MF Doom, etc.

• If you want I can burn you a copy of my mix-cd.

????

• ^^Sloppy beats... I guess J.Dilla is out of the question then...

There's plenty of good stuff out there.
    But everyone knows Soul Strut is not the place to find any love for it.
    Only constant shit bagging & crap talking from people who probably in all likelihood, haven't actually heard what they are castigating.

What I love is the Irony.
    I guess Jay Dee is the exception to the rule. He was basically a lot of underground heads production hero.
    Or do others not consider what he made underground. I thought he was contributing a fistful to the state of the underground scene. Or has he conveniently been take out of that equation by the selective few who are uncomfortable with the domain in which he worked? Just curious.

Just some recent favourites...

Nah, i'm not up for an argument today, just saying that there is plenty of good music within the scene.

• There's plenty of good stiff out there.

First of all, AYO![/b]

Now,

But everyone knows Soul Strut is not the place to find any love for it.
    Only constant shit bagging & crap talking from people who probably in all likelihood, haven't actually heard what they are castigating.

What I love is the Irony.
    I guess Jay Dee is the exception to the rule. He was basically a lot of underground heads production hero.
    Or do others not consider what he made underground. I thought he was contributing a fistful to the state of the underground scene. Or has he conveniently been take out of that equation by the selective few who are uncomfortable with the domain in which he worked? Just curious.

Dude, just because Dilla was somebody's "production hero" doesn't mean that they are making music as good as his. If I had a dollar for every shit band "influenced" by the Beatles...

Anyway, I don't think many people here are hattin "underground" shit just for the sake of it, so whether or not Dilla was a part of said underground is meaningless. I think people just dislike what they see as a real lack of quality within that scene as a whole right now. That's all.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i thought each track really complemented the emcees, and the album as a whole was well made. i'm really surprised that nobody likes it, besides myself. I thought Bahamadia, Talib Kweli, Planet Asia, all of 'em killed it. Course there's like 5 songs that are crap, but i just skip those. I also think it grew on me, cuz it got a lot of play in the car. I'm not one for sloppy beats and rhymes, ala Hieroglyphics, MF Doom, etc.

That just wasn't my "flava" of hip-hop. I found it quite corny and soulless, honestly. I didn't like one track.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,612 Posts

If you want I can burn you a copy of my mix-cd.

????

Nah sucka, but you never sent me a copy!

• ^^^ Stiff. Thanks for pointing that out.. Sheesh...

The scene is massive, so I can't see how everyone can be so judgemental on it's content when they haven't heard a lot of it.

We get sent loads of stuff.
    There's a lot that isn't much chop, but there is also a heap that is great. Our magazine is primarily focused on the 'underground' sound. So naturally we are privy to more than the average head & therefore I see things differently.

Of the 9 records above, how many can honestly say, 'Yes I listened to every minute of every track on them & hated them all'. No, my assumption (and it is an assumption) is that people are dismissive because it's the cool thing to do these days.

I'm still wondering wether the DJ Shadow factor will make Keak Da Sneak hip in the UK press.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The scene is massive, so I can't see how everyone can be so judgemental on it's content when they haven't heard a lot of it.

You mean much in the same way someone can go to a club in Australia see White people imitating Black pop culture in America (very poorly at that) and think that they don't want anything to do with it?

you impress me.

• sergserg 682 Posts

I was actually surpised that I enjoyed this album as much as I did. I really wanted it to suck because I don't like the cunninglynguists but it's kind nice.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    kno got beats

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    kno got rekkidz[/b]

• I'm still wondering wether the DJ Shadow factor will make Keak Da Sneak hip in the UK press.

What the fuck is wrong with Keak?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

I found it quite corny and soulless, honestly. I didn't like one track.

• ^^Where did I once say there was anything wrong with him?
    Turn your brain on & don't manipulate to your own fantasy agenda.

Cashless... I really don't know what to say to you dude.
    Except. You're one amazing dude who has his pulse on the inner workings of the entire world.

Where's that 'invisible' power switch? ha!