Banned or Changed Covers Funk & Soul?????

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Way before Tipper Gore tried to censor the music biz there were rock LP's that were determined to have offensive covers and they had to be changed.....Any instances of this with Funk & Soul LP's???

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

This was changed to something less racey.

This cover replaced a cover that is too disgusting to post.

• That Persuaders cover above reminds me of another nude-body LP jacket that was later doctored - Jim Gilstrap's Love Talk.

And while it's not really racy, there's also the two covers for Michael Jackson's Ben - one with the rats running across the lower half of the jacket, and the other without.

Of course there are lots of changed covers. Not as much fun as banned. There is the Sly & Family Stone with 2 covers for starters.

Dan

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    This was the original cover...

but was later changed to this...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    both are very rare!

This was the original cover...

but was later changed to this...

I was just getting those images.

That Persuaders cover above reminds me of another nude-body LP jacket that was later doctored - Jim Gilstrap's Love Talk.

And while it's not really racy, there's also the two covers for Michael Jackson's Ben - one with the rats running across the lower half of the jacket, and the other without.

I love that rat cover.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Does anyone have a picture of the Beatles cover that was changed? The one where they're in some slaughterhouse with blood all over them?

Here we go:

• That Persuaders cover above reminds me of another nude-body LP jacket that was later doctored - Jim Gilstrap's Love Talk.

I love that rat cover.

As a kid, I hadn't seen the movie, so I didn't know why the damn rats were there in the first place. At least not until a few years later, when it ran on TV.

• Of course there are lots of changed covers. Not as much fun as banned. There is the Sly & Family Stone with 2 covers for starters.

Or Together by the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band, which originally had a cover that looked like this:

I once spoke with Watts Band singer-guitarist Charles Wright, and he thought this cover was racist as all hell. When "Do Your Thing" from this LP became a hit single, it was re-pressed with a photo of the band.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Kind of off topic, but what about the soul records (by black artists) with white people on the cover.

:::GAG:::

Talk about *spit* in your face marketing...

Please post more examples that you know of. I think it's so ridiculous.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Kind of off topic, but what about the soul records (by black artists) with white people on the cover.

• yeah I was going to post that Miles Davis one, I think that pissed him off quite a bit (although Miles did like the white women).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    First one that springs to mind

I think the first 3 James Brown records Please Please (Legs) Try Me (smoking gun) and Think (baby) were all reissued with James mug on the cover. His Shout and Shimmy also features white folks on the cover.

Off topic, but this is my favorite James Brown cover:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I can't find a picture, but the example that comes to mind is the Dorothy Ashby with the harp graphic superimposed over some towheaded Breck girl. That one strikes me as especially noxious because, unlike Otis Blue or This Old Heart Of Mine or whatever, the Ashby lacks the obvious (and thus ostensibly mitigating) disparity of the others. By which I mean that, while surely nobody could really have thought that Otis Redding was a moody blonde woman or that the Isley Brothers consisted of a white dude and a white girl, it's quite likely that folks seeing a record credited to a single female performer would assume that any single female pictured on the cover was in fact said performer. Most offensively, it's also quite likely that this misperception was the precise intention.

And not to make light, but I'm also interested in covers that--through elision and/or obfuscation--try to obscure the fact that the performer is white, a la Shades of Black Lightning, the first three or four Bobby Caldwell jernts, countless recent Photocopiers Of The Phunk, that one Wu-affiliated dude, etc. Taken as a whole, I believe they represent what my man "Top Hat" Terry Clizzo would call "a paradigm shift."

• I can't find a picture, but the example that comes to mind is the Dorothy Ashby with the harp graphic superimposed over some towheaded Breck girl.

Ya know...I'm no Dorothy Ashby expert, but from what I've seen she SELDOM got a chance to pose for the covers of her own albums. It's either a white woman or a still life. I know I've seen at least one Argo album where she rated a full-on close-up, but apart from that, nothing. (Nothing that I've seen, anyway.)

Reminds me of a story I heard...when Chess released the first album by Koko Taylor (African-American female), the cover was a drawing of a thin black woman who looked like a model from the Roaring 20's. When Koko complained about her photo not being used, Leonard Chess half-jokingly said that if they did that, the album wouldn't sell. (Damn, that's cold - even in jest...)

And not to make light, but I'm also interested in covers that--through elision and/or obfuscation--try to obscure the fact that the performer is white, a la Shades of Black Lightning, the first three or four Bobby Caldwell jernts, countless recent Photocopiers Of The Phunk, that one Wu-affiliated dude, etc.

Or the first Nikka Costa album.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

[

Motown was notorious for using generic "cartoon" covers in their early days. I always assumed it was so racist stores in the South would carry their product???

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I can't find a picture, but the example that comes to mind is the Dorothy Ashby with the harp graphic superimposed over some towheaded Breck girl.

Ya know...I'm no Dorothy Ashby expert, but from what I've seen she SELDOM got a chance to pose for the covers of her own albums. It's either a white woman or a still life. I know I've seen at least one Argo album where she rated a full-on close-up, but apart from that, nothing. (Nothing that I've seen, anyway.)

Not a full-on close-up, but I don't think anyone would confuse her for a white girl.

• i wish they woulda changed this...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• Or the first Nikka Costa album.

Okay, let me amend that:

the first ADULT Nikka Costa album, where you basically only see her silhouette.

• I can't find a picture, but the example that comes to mind is the Dorothy Ashby with the harp graphic superimposed over some towheaded Breck girl.

Not a full-on close-up, but I don't think anyone would confuse her for a white girl.

No, I think it was even earlier than THAT, when Cadet was still known as Argo. I'd do a Google image search (or check out the Both Sides Now site), just to show/tell you what I mean, but I'm pressed for time right now.

• the album with john lennon and yoko ono on the cover
    anyone got this?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• the album with john lennon and yoko ono on the cover

i believe he asked for banned, or changed, funk/soul covers

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

the og was changed right after it was released to this one so it would get carried in the south. the original is supposed to be one of the rarest rock lps.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Dude on the far left, whats comin outta his pants?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

the og was changed right after it was released to this one so it would get carried in the south. the original is supposed to be one of the rarest rock lps.

OG looks more racist than the re------what were they thinking?? "Let's go for the Aunt Jehmima look, the kids will LOVE it"???