Hendrix Drummers

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I was chattin' with this dude about Jimi Hendrix's drummers.He felt that Mitch Mitchell was more funky than Buddy Miles. He also stated that Miles was moreof a Rock drummer whereas Mitchell shows more Jazz influences.Band of Gypsies really has points in the show where the Bomb is dropped.Im wondering what other STRuters thought about this?Its not about whos better over all just better with JIMI.Mitchell does has the classics working for him but.............

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Mitchell was a great drummer but Buddy was funkier.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was chattin' with this dude about Jimi Hendrix's drummers.He felt that Mitch Mitchell was more funky than Buddy Miles. He also stated that Miles was more
    of a Rock drummer whereas Mitchell shows more Jazz influences.
    Band of Gypsies really has points in the show where the Bomb is dropped.
    Im wondering what other STRuters thought about this?
    Its not about whos better over all just better with JIMI.
    Mitchell does has the classics working for him but.............

I am no expert on Hendrix drummers, but... I think your friends anylsis was right on.

Mithchell was clearly influenced by Roach and Elvin Jones. Yet he can still come strong with the back beat.

Mitchel is also the drummer on the 3 studio lps that are Jimi's legacy.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Yep. This thread is closed.

But seriously, it's no secret that Mitchell was heavily influenced by jazz. Listen to him in "Fire", and consider that that was 1967. Very few people were doing that in rock & roll.

Look at the footage of Buddy Miles at Monterey Pop. It's in a blues/rock context, but that's the gutbucket, that's soul, that's funk.

Another perfect example. Pick up Electric Ladyland. Listen to "Rainy Day, Dream Away"/"Still Raining, Still Dreaming". While that song is jazzy, you can tell it's Buddy Miles in that. Mitchell always played on the drums, Buddy Miles played IN the drums. There was no bass in that song, so Hendrix and Miles were locked, and you can hear it.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I always felt Mitchell was better for Hendrix's music.
    Because Mitchell had background in jazzmusic, he was the type of drummer that could improvise and 'follow' hendrix. He had a bigger connection with Hendrix then Miles did I think..
    I also think that Mitchells style with the countless fill-ins and stuff fits better with Hendrix rock/blues/freak-out-side.

Buddy Miles fitted well with the more funkier style of the band of gypsys. He's more a straight-forward kinda drummer. Hard hittin, get yo ass-dancing type of drummer.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    funkier doesnt necessarily mean better...Mitch Mitchell is a much, much better drummer than Buddy, a lot more unique and just a straight up better drummer. Mitch by a country mile IMO.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I always felt Mitchell was better for Hendrix's music.
    Because Mitchell had background in jazzmusic, he was the type of drummer that could improvise and 'follow' hendrix. He had a bigger connection with Hendrix then Miles did I think..
    I also think that Mitchells style with the countless fill-ins and stuff fits better with Hendrix rock/blues/freak-out-side.

Buddy Miles fitted well with the more funkier style of the band of gypsys. He's more a straight-forward kinda drummer. Hard hittin, get yo ass-dancing type of drummer.

Yeah, it's all about what you are trying to accomplish. I think the combination of musicians made "Band of Gypsys" work well, and Mitch might not have fared as well in that scenario. But I agree with Hook-Up that Mitch was the superior sticksman overall.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I agree with that. Band Of Gypsies is my shit. Power Of Soul - bam!. But no doubt Mitchell was great too, I just like BM's straight-up chunky caveman slaps.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Can't front on 'Little Miss Lover'.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

Mitch Mitchell defeats Buddy Miles. It's no secret that one of the reasons the Experience Band was so great was that Mitch Mitchell straight up hated Hendrix and always tried to throw him for loops with time changes and jazz drumming that would make most guitarists fall flat on their face.

Buddy Miles was straight drummer. This worked really well on a tune like Machine Gun, where the drumming required military precision.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if ya wanna check out some great boom-bap drumming with Jimi...check out "Drivin South" from a budget/Curtis Knight LP(many versions)..its a live version with a dude talking about it being Dec 26th before the the tune starts. a caveat though, some of the pressings splice in an inferior version after the chit chat, but you will know the ill version..hard ass boom bap for days...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, Mitch Mitchell is one of my favorite drummers ever. Buddy miles is just OK, IMO...

if ya wanna check out some great boom-bap drumming with Jimi...check out "Drivin South" from a budget/Curtis Knight LP(many versions)..its a live version with a dude talking about it being Dec 26th before the the tune starts. a caveat though, some of the pressings splice in an inferior version after the chit chat, but you will know the ill version..hard ass boom bap for days...

"If you ain't never been there, you gonna take a trip with us now, babe". Yessir. BTW, who was the drummer on those pre-Experience recordings that float around on numerous LPs? Tracks like "Hush Now", "Love, Love" and "Suspicious" are funkier than a mosquitos tweeter.

He did "Driving South" a number of times during BBC sessions, but there's one particular version that I had first heard on a Hendrix bootleg which was taken from a radio show, featuring various songs of his. But it was later released on Rykodisc and then the more recent one on Experience/MCA. The version I like is on neither of those, but the solo on that is worth seeking out. If I can find it I'll up it.

"If you ain't never been there, you gonna take a trip with us now, babe". Yessir. BTW, who was the drummer on those pre-Experience recordings that float around on numerous LPs? Tracks like "Hush Now", "Love, Love" and "Suspicious" are funkier than a mosquitos tweeter.

I always wanted to know, so I did a search. He did a number of sessions with Curtis Knight, but according to this page, Marion Booker played on one particular session, and Ray Lucas on another.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I agree with Hook-Up that Mitch was the superior sticksman overall.

[
    He did Driving South a number of times during BBC sessions, but there's one particular version that I had first heard on a Hendrix bootleg which was taken from a radio show, featuring various songs of his. But it was later released on Rykodisc and then the more recent one on Experience/MCA. The version I like is on neither of those, but the solo on that is worth seeking out. If I can find it I'll up it.

this one?

[

He did Driving South a number of times during BBC sessions, but there's one particular version that I had first heard on a Hendrix bootleg which was taken from a radio show, featuring various songs of his. But it was later released on Rykodisc and then the more recent one on Experience/MCA. The version I like is on neither of those, but the solo on that is worth seeking out. If I can find it I'll up it.

Not that one.

Let me look for it right now.

EDIT[/b]: Well shit, it has to be in storage, but it's from this album:

http://www.edto.net/hendrix_please_crawl_out_window_vinyl_bootleg.htm

One thing I'll say bout Mitch Mitchell, he sure as hell can't sing

I always wanted to know, so I did a search. He did a number of sessions with Curtis Knight, but according to this page, Marion Booker played on one particular session, and Ray Lucas on another.

Acknowledged, thanks. Those guys locked down a pretty heavy sound during those 66-67 sessions.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Another perfect example. Pick up Electric Ladyland. Listen to "Rainy Day, Dream Away"/"Still Raining, Still Dreaming". While that song is jazzy, you can tell it's Buddy Miles in that. Mitchell always played on the drums, Buddy Miles played IN the drums. There was no bass in that song, so Hendrix and Miles were locked, and you can hear it.

yeah that's the perfect example..

i dig mitchel for his ridiculous invention but he could be a tad overbearing at time.. a lil too flashy in certain situations.

miles on the otherhand is just a sick sick in the pocket drummer.

it depends on what style of hendrix you prefer.. ladyland is great because you get mitchell on a RETARDED studio jam like Voodoo Chile and then you get buddy in for that necessary FUNK.

but band of gypsies is personally my fave hendrix record .. i was never all that into the experience from a band perspective.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Acknowledged, thanks. Those guys locked down a pretty heavy sound during those 66-67 sessions.

the drumming is RIDICULOUSLY ahead of its time on those 67 tracks!!! plus everything else was mind-blowing...hush now, happy birthday, and especially love love are easily some of my favorite sounding (musically and recording quality-wise) tracks of ALL time. i really wanna get a final confirmation on who was the drummer on those three tracks. didnt check the links because i really need to get some sleep, but does it say for sure?

as far as the more well-known hendrix tracks, mitchell was the MAN. buddy was a little too straight-forward for me. gotta have those constant change-ups. did he drum for anybody else? i really love his style so much, i need to start brushing up on fills.

even my friend, who never ever ever ever mentions anything about drums and probably would get rid of them altogether if he could, loves mitch mitchell.