Donny Hathaway Raer?

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
How much would you expect to pay in a 3 record auction for s/t, Extension Of A Man & Everything Is Everything? Because it just closed at $110, am I missing something here? Seems pretty rich. This is the same auction site that sees an OG copy of Osmium go unbid on at $185 & yet pulls $110 for 3 Hathaways. Odd.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    How much would you expect to pay in a 3 record auction for s/t, Extension Of A Man & Everything Is Everything? Because it just closed at $110, am I missing something here? Seems pretty rich. This is the same auction site that sees an OG copy of Osmium go unbid on at $185 & yet pulls $110 for 3 Hathaways. Odd.

$30

the most.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

I remember seeing several stores selling Donny Hathaway lps for $20-25 up to $35 each when I was in NYC in 2004.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Does anyone know the deal about his death. An OG once told me he was dropped from a building because he owed dope money. Is this true. Details please.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It happens all the time. I've sold shit like "lot of 3 blackbyrds lps" for like $80 before. Gotta love eBay.

Haven't you ever watched Raj's auctions?

• An OG once told me he was dropped from a building because he owed dope money. Is this true. Details please.

if this story is true will it make my roberta flack + donny hathaway lp worth more?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Sessions for a second album of duets were underway when, on January 13, 1979, Hathaway was found dead on the sidewalk below the 15th-floor window of his room in New York's Essex House. The glass had been neatly removed from the window, and there were no signs of struggle, leading investigators to rule Hathaway's death a suicide; his friends were mystified, considering that his career had just started to pick up again, and Flack was devastated.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sessions for a second album of duets were underway when, on January 13, 1979, Hathaway was found dead on the sidewalk below the 15th-floor window of his room in New York's Essex House. The glass had been neatly removed from the window, and there were no signs of struggle, leading investigators to rule Hathaway's death a suicide; his friends were mystified, considering that his career had just started to pick up again, and Flack was devastated.

Has anyone ever seen a biography about Donny? I can't seem to find one.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a biography about Donny? I can't seem to find one.

I don't think there is one... although a favorite in certain circles, I think he is a generally underappreciated artist.

• How much would you expect to pay in a 3 record auction for s/t, Extension Of A Man & Everything Is Everything? Because it just closed at $110, am I missing something here? Seems pretty rich. This is the same auction site that sees an OG copy of Osmium go unbid on at $185 & yet pulls $110 for 3 Hathaways. Odd.

That is high but not out of control. I regularly sell S/T and Extensions for $20-25, Everything for $25-30. I know these are not stupid rare records but they are great and tough to find in NM condition. I only buy this if its very clean. But I have no problem selling it whatsoever. Great records that are always in demand.

• I remember hearing someone say he used to open the window and sing so loud on sunday mornings that you could hear him from the streets. Imagine how beautiful that would be to hear!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I remember hearing someone say he used to open the window and sing so loud on sunday mornings[/b] that you could hear him from the streets. Imagine how beautiful that would be to hear!!!

Donny, Marvin, Aretha...I don't care, nobody fucks my sunday morning

• Does anyone know the deal about his death. An OG once told me he was dropped from a building because he owed dope money. Is this true. Details please.

I thought that was Chet Baker.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Does anyone know the deal about his death. An OG once told me he was dropped from a building because he owed dope money. Is this true. Details please.

I thought that was Chet Baker.

Donny had manic depression. Maybe even Bi-polar.

This is the Lp I dont frequently come across.

• [quote
    Donny had manic depression. Maybe even Bi-polar.

Manic depression essentially is bipolar disorder. I have family with the illness and work to help people like this everyday and many of them are highly creative. They are either euphoric or lethargic???there???s no in between. The euphoria spawns the creativity, but it???s usually a false euphoria. The person is so excited and active with ideas but the end product is never what they want and never satisfying. This causes the depression to be more severe and in turn the euphoria has to be more pronounced to counter the depression. It???s a painful spiral to watch. The irony, of course, is that some of the world???s most beautiful art is created by people with this illness. If anyone bought the live CD w/ the bonus tracks there???s an interview at the end that makes me sad everytime, I can???t listen to it. He???s very excited and anxious and ???I???m gonna do this???I???m studying this???then I???m gonna do this???man it???s gonna be great??? and on and on.

The fact that he is and was underappreciated (as someone said), and very aware of this, only capitalized his illness. He, and others around him, felt that he was in Stevie Wonder???s shadow but at the same time highly influential on Wonder. In the CD reissue of Everything is Everything there is an interesting analysis of their discographies and who???s albums came before who???s. I???ve never heard about anything drug related. I think he was just very sad.

• 'Lord Help Me' (Atco 45) has been seriously melting my face for the past week. so incredible. What other non-album tracks are there?

• I check for these OGs all the time, and alls I ever see is reissues out there. Some records you just don't come across, let alone nice copies.

• 'Lord Help Me' (Atco 45) has been seriously melting my face for the past week. so incredible. What other non-album tracks are there?

"This Christmas," which is really the only Hathaway I ever hear on the radio where he's not duetting with Roberta Flack. Also, the June and Donnie singles on Curtom.

"This Christmas," which is really the only Hathaway I ever hear on the radio where he's not duetting with Roberta Flack. Also, the June and Donnie singles on Curtom.

This Christams is on his greatest hits LP which I see around fairly often.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I check for these OGs all the time, and alls I ever see is reissues out there. Some records you just don't come across, let alone nice copies.

Sayin!

I simply DO NOT SEE clean copies of his albums, ever...

• I see these around once a year or so, and I give out "Donny Hathaway Live," whenever I hear someone doesn't have it. Never paid more than $15 or so...

That said, if I ever lost that album, I'd pay $50 to get it back. His records, especially "Live," and "Everything is Everything," are worth more to me than 90% of the the $50 records I own. "Live," is probably in my top 5 soul records of all time.

This Christams is on his greatest hits LP which I see around fairly often.

I know - I just figured by "non-LP" the guy meant "non-LP at the time," since the best-of came a good eight or nine years after "This Xmas."

My fave non-anything track by Hathaway is the theme from the TV show Maude, which I don't believe was released antywhere! Now THAT'S what I wanna hear on one of these reissues, bro!

• "Live," is probably in my top 5 soul records of all time.

werd. His take on "Jealous Guy" was a late night favorite when we used to spin at APT. And the live version of 'The Ghetto' is much better than the studio version.

$??

• I see these around once a year or so, and I give out "Donny Hathaway Live," whenever I hear someone doesn't have it. Never paid more than $15 or so...

That said, if I ever lost that album, I'd pay $50 to get it back. His records, especially "Live," and "Everything is Everything," are worth more to me than 90% of the the $50 records I own. "Live," is probably in my top 5 soul records of all time.

i was kinda surprised to see a very clean copy of "Live" for about 12??? plus the "best of" for only 2,50???! (same condition)
    Very good LPs, i would def. pay more for those.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    And the live version of 'The Ghetto' is much better than the studio version.

$??

When the audience's clapping at the beginning builds up to double time, it never fails to get me going.

i was kinda surprised to see a very clean copy of "Live" for about 12??? plus the "best of" for only 2,50???! (same condition)
    Very good LPs, i would def. pay more for those.

I wouldn't. Although I like him, he was popular (though underrated) and recorded for a major label, so on principle, WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO pay so much.(Although it may be different where cHiller's at...)

As far as the Stevie Wonder comparisons...both were progressive black artists from the early 70's who played keyboards and that's the only commonality I hear. Stevie seemed more electronic and rockish. Donny, on the other hand, appeared to be slightly more introspective and singer-songwriter-ish.

• As far as the Stevie Wonder comparisons...both were progressive black artists from the early 70's who played keyboards and that's the only commonality I hear. Stevie seemed more electronic and rockish. Donny, on the other hand, appeared to be slightly more introspective and singer-songwriter-ish.

and Donny was always in touch w/ his gospel roots- something that might scare off a part of his potential white audience. cosign on the introspectiveness though.

Stevie was aggressively marketed and had a more visible mainstream profile as far as the media go.

• i was lucky and picked up clean, OG copies of extensions and Live for 3 bucks a piece at one shot.

you're right, i never see 'em out diggin'.

• As far as the Stevie Wonder comparisons...both were progressive black artists from the early 70's who played keyboards and that's the only commonality I hear. Stevie seemed more electronic and rockish. Donny, on the other hand, appeared to be slightly more introspective and singer-songwriter-ish.

and Donny was always in touch w/ his gospel roots- something that might scare off a part of his potential white audience. cosign on the introspectiveness though.

Stevie was aggressively marketed and had a more visible mainstream profile as far as the media go.

I don't have the essay in front of me, but it was speaking in terms of subject matter and creative control. The thesis was along the lines of Stevie writing less about love and more about immediate subject matter of the day. I'll re-read it tonight.

• My fave non-anything track by Hathaway is the theme from the TV show Maude, which I don't believe was released antywhere! Now THAT'S what I wanna hear on one of these reissues, bro!

if you can live with the 30 second version, it's on this

• My fave non-anything track by Hathaway is the theme from the TV show Maude, which I don't believe was released antywhere! Now THAT'S what I wanna hear on one of these reissues, bro!

if you can live with the 30 second version, it's on this

Thanks for the heads-up - as far as the song length, it WAS the theme to a TV show, so the 30-second version is what all of us know!