looking for song by QUEEN MOTHER RAGE

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
She was signed to Cardiac, so unlike albums by Isis and Professor X, her album was a bit hard to find in 1990. But BET used to show the video for the song, where the tempo was very slow, but very funky. If any of you know what I'm talking about, and you have it, can you MP3 it? I'll eventually track it down, but I've been wanting to hear it for years. Or if not, just the title would be great and I'll track it down myself.

Comments

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    are you talking about "mental erection"

a wicked tune.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Is that the name? I'd have to hear it, but I would assume it would be the only song on the album with that slow tempo.

• are you talking about "mental erection"

a wicked tune.

I like that one, sounds like if Bahamadia went back in time to cut a record?

• Is that the name? I'd have to hear it, but I would assume it would be the only song on the album with that slow tempo.

It's the one with the T Plays it Cool lick slowed down, yes?

yep the bahamadia style tune. mid tempo, nice dark sample. dante put me up on that one.
    you'll find it out there. maybe even a cheapo copy on gemm. hit it!!!

yep the bahamadia style tune. mid tempo, nice dark sample. dante put me up on that one.
    you'll find it out there. maybe even a cheapo copy on gemm. hit it!!!

I've come across a lot of QMR 12" singles over the years, a few I've bought but it was not the song and I could never find the album. I just remember when the video game out (it was her, and in the back was Professor X, Brother J, and someone else), simple with just all of them with a dark background (think Brand Nubian's "Wake Up" video). If that's the song where she refers to "the light" (I only remember that because in the video, "a light from above" went over the X-Clan members), then that's the one.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

I think the one you want is "Slipping Into Darkness" from 1990.
    Dark and slow, samples the "emotional" passage from Nautilus.

• Dang, and I went to the trouble to transfer the other one for the man.

Oh well, here it is anyway.

mental woody

I think the one you want is "Slipping Into Darkness" from 1990.

That sounds more like the title. Damn, and no one has this? I know GEMM has the 12" and CD. I've been waiting 15 years to hear this!

Eh, I'll go back to GEMM and see who has the 12".

• I think the one you want is "Slipping Into Darkness" from 1990.

That sounds more like the title. Damn, and no one has this? I know GEMM has the 12" and CD. I've been waiting 15 years to hear this!

Eh, I'll go back to GEMM and see who has the 12".

I have the lp somewhere around here but it might take less time to grab a cheap copy online...

I have the lp somewhere around here but it might take less time to grab a cheap copy online...

GEMM has a few dealers with the 12", but they all have GEMM's 15% fee. Maybe I can just contact them directly to avoid the fee. We'll see.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

It funny cause I spoke to an X Clan affiliate about this album recently. It doesn't exist on wax. I have the cd. I'll hook you up with tracks later tonight.

Peace

h

• Hi,

It funny cause I spoke to an X Clan affiliate about this album recently. It doesn't exist on wax. I have the cd. I'll hook you up with tracks later tonight.

Peace

h

Actually it does exist on wax.

Hi,

Peace

h

Great, thank you. I have a few 12" singles on stand-by, as I still want it for my collection, but this song has been in my mind for a long time.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Peace

h

Actually it does exist on wax.

Hi,

I had been looking for a copy & spoke to Professor X about it. He told me a long story about label politics & then said that there wasn't a vinyl pressing for the queen mother rage album. Ever since then I was under the impression that there was no vinyl for this. He could have been mistaken.

Peace

H

• Haz, yeah that happens sometimes...no biggie

Here's that track i think you were after JB, sorry there's some surface noise...I think the previous owner had a REALLY shitty needle. For the time being this will do just to hear it I guess.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VXZNBDEWAOK11VFI3F72OFICR

I was thrilled to to run across this again while digging that out:

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Looks like I gotta add that back to my want list...

Peace

h

Here's that track i think you were after JB, sorry there's some surface noise...I think the previous owner had a REALLY shitty needle. For the time being this will do just to hear it I guess.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VXZNBDEWAOK11VFI3F72OFICR

That is the cover, and...

(after finishing the download)

YES! I love this song. Thank you so much.

I love the crackle though, so don't worry.

In time I'll track down the album, I had hoped that this would have been much more of a success than Isis' first album. Like Isis and Professor X's, is there a hip-house track on her album as well?

• Nope, no hip-house joint on here although there are a couple faster songs. I was reminded however, that the album version of "Mental Erection" has a completely different beat than the 12" version that I posted.

Nope, no hip-house joint on here although there are a couple faster songs. I was reminded however, that the album version of "Mental Erection" has a completely different beat than the 12" version that I posted.

Thank you for that as well, I just downloaded that one too.

I was looking over at GEMM, and I didn't realize there was a 12" for Professor X's "What's Up G", which is one of my favorites off of his album (and far better than the title track).

EDIT/ADDITION[/b]: Apparently "What's Up G" appears in an "An' You Don't Stop Mix" on the 12". Man, where was I?

"slipping into darkness" shit, i am so bad with my hip hop. confused the titles. i would rather the song be called mental erection though.

this is why i only hire hip hop employees at the shop- megaheat knows all about this.