more tepid terds?

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
The tepid funk terd's from last week got me thinking about this a lot. What are some of your Steaming Hip Hop Stools? I'd like to nominate these because I just plain don't like them:L.O.N.S - 'A Future Without a Past'anything by Digable Planets The Pharcyde - 'Labcabincalifornia'OC - 'Jewelz'Lords of the Underground - 'Here Come the Lords'These were the first 5 that came to me. I'm sure there are many more!

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    what is it with all the Digable Planets hate around here?

I liked their second one a lot.

• The tepid funk terd's from last week got me thinking about this a lot. What are some of your Steaming Hip Hop Stools? I'd like to nominate these because I just plain don't like them:

L.O.N.S - 'A Future Without a Past'

BLASPHEMY!

Now if you were talking about T.I.M.E. I would agree...

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

The Pharcyde - 'Labcabincalifornia'

I was always disappointed with Pharcyde's second album.
    Never thought it measured up to the brilliance and energy of their first!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    what is it with all the Digable Planets hate around here?

I liked their second one a lot.

I beleive it has something to do with trying to "fit in"

I find it hard that anyone tries to do that around here.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I find it hard that anyone tries to do that around here.

no one wants to be ridiculed for being different.

I threw out non-JB funk albums cause I realized other people didn't like them

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I think they are hatted and liked in equal amounts around here. I just find them exceptionally dull.

Here's a couple mo'

that No ID album from 97. Incredibly boring after looking forward to it.
    Diamond - 'Hatred Passions and Infidelity'. Shite. Why was this allowed to be released?

'DJ Lord Jazz hit me one time make it funky'. Ayo? God I hate that lot. Not even Marley Marl and K-Def beats could make them sound reasonable!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
    Larry Larr - Whatever It Was Called?!?
    Brand Nubian - Everything Is Everything
    Deda The Original Baby Pa lp

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I actually think TIME is a bit under-appreciated! Every year I used to pull out Future Without a Past, give it a spin and find few redeeming features, eventually realising I didn't care for it much, and sold it on Ebay for a princely sum. For me it's just too sloppy and all over the place, so I don't really miss having it.

• The tepid funk terd's from last week got me thinking about this a lot. What are some of your Steaming Hip Hop Stools? I'd like to nominate these because I just plain don't like them:

anything by Digable Planets
    The Pharcyde - 'Labcabincalifornia'
    OC - 'Jewelz'
    Lords of the Underground - 'Here Come the Lords'

These were the first 5 that came to me. I'm sure there are many more!

I always liked 'labcab', let the hatt begin.

I always liked 'labcab', let the hatt begin.

co-signature.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I actually think TIME is a bit under-appreciated! Every year I used to pull out Future Without a Past, give it a spin and find few redeeming features, eventually realising I didn't care for it much, and sold it on Ebay for a princely sum. For me it's just too sloppy and all over the place, so I don't really miss having it.

I like T.I.M.E. a lot more than Future Without A Past. Yeahyeah I know it's got more Milo on it (Paycheck's aversion), but I think it's a much more solid effort and lyrically not as slap-happy as the first. Busta has got some pretty ill verses on T.I.M.E. The beats are much better as well. That being said, it's been a looong time since I heard both, so my views might have changed now, but I don't think so. Fuck it, I'm gonna find that cassette tape now so I can confirm my beliefs???

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    redman's last album. i nominate it as having the worst skits EVER.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    The tepid funk terd's from last week got me thinking about this a lot. What are some of your Steaming Hip Hop Stools? I'd like to nominate these because I just plain don't like them:

The Pharcyde - 'Labcabincalifornia' (most of the LP, but Drop and Runnin were dope.
    OC - 'Jewelz'
    Lords of the Underground - 'Here Come the Lords'

These were the first 5 that came to me. I'm sure there are many more!

Plaese to explain how LOTUG made it on this list? I STILL bump that.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Mr Funkyman was rubbish, Doitall not much better, and DJ Lord Jazz didn't do anything. And they all had crap names too.

I don't so much mind that Brand Nubian you mentioned HAZ. It's got a vibe similar to Grand Puba's second LP which I think is pretty good. I like it much more than In God We Trust, I just can't get into that one at all.

BLASPHEMY!

double Blasphemy! I liked both of their albums. and I also liked both of Digable's albums.

my personals stools:

Grand Puba's first album
    Da Lench Mob - Guerillaz In Tha Mist (minus a few choice cuts - on a recent listen it's kinda repetitive and one of the dudes cannot rap to save his life)
    Eric B & Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique (again, minus a few choice cuts - I really wanted to like this album when I was revisiting over the weekend, but could only get with about 4 or so songs)
    Gift Of Gab - 4th Dimensional....
    De La Soul - The Grind Date

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The tepid funk terd's from last week got me thinking about this a lot. What are some of your Steaming Hip Hop Stools? I'd like to nominate these because I just plain don't like them:

BLASPHEMY!

double Blasphemy! I liked both of their albums. and I also liked both of Digable's albums.

my personals stools:

Grand Puba's first album
    Da Lench Mob - Guerillaz In Tha Mist (minus a few choice cuts - on a recent listen it's kinda repetitive and one of the dudes cannot rap to save his life)
    Eric B & Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique (again, minus a few choice cuts - I really wanted to like this album when I was revisiting over the weekend, but could only get with about 4 or so songs)

I agree with all of these 'cept Grind Date

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    From the Depths of Shaolin:

ODB - ****a Please

GZA - Beneath the Surface

RZA as Bobby Digital - Digital Bullet

Wu Tang Clan - Iron Flag

Method Man - T2

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    From the Depths of Shaolin:

ODB - ****a Please

GZA - Beneath the Surface

RZA as Bobby Digital - Digital Bullet

Wu Tang Clan - Iron Flag

Method Man - T2

now this is a list I can agree with

• i never dug labcab or the second digable album too much. oc's jewelz is dope though. and aside from ghost, every wu sophomore solo effort sucked (though u-god, masta killa, rza, and deck's first albums sucked). i always kinda liked "beneath the surface" though. that one wasn't bad. the title track with killah priest was the jam.

BLASPHEMY!

my personals stools:

Grand Puba's first album

I agree with all of these 'cept Grind Date

yeah, I really wanted to like Grind Date, but was kinda in the long run.

Yo, G-to-tha-uzzo, I got a Luther Vandross 12" you may be interested in if you don't already have it. PM me.

• Grand Puba's first album
    i enjoyed puba's "2000" album much more than his first. same with lench mob, their second album was the one. that gift of gab solo sucked, and "grind date" was kinda

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Grand Puba's first album

The only one from this list I can't get with is the Gif Of Gab. The rest are pretty good, but not stellar, IMO

Yeah, but there was actual anticipation for all those Wu Sophmore
    solo joints, cause the first ones were so good, making the tepidity of
    their terdness all the more distressing.

(though u-god, masta killa, rza[/b], and deck's first albums sucked).

You're talking about Arabian Prince or whatever that shit is, right?
    Surely you can't mean the first Bob Digi???

• pretty good, but not stellar = tepid IMO

pretty good, but not stellar = tepid IMO

But the "terd" kinda implies that it's...well...a terd.

• anything by Digable Planets

what??? have you listened to "blowout comb?"

what??? have you listend to "blowout comb?"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    pretty good, but not stellar = tepid IMO

I guess tepid means just so-so. I don't know why, but i thought it was used as a synonym for total caca on the board.

• pretty good, but not stellar = tepid IMO

I guess tepid means just so-so. I don't know why, but i thought it was used as a synonym for total caca on the board.

yeah, I guess it's all a matter of opinion, cause technically turds are actually quite warm. when was the last time you had a cold BM?