(Sittin' on) the Dock of the BAY covers

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
(Besides the original) Two of my faves:Peggy Lee + The VoltageREP some.[/b]

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I once heard Neil Young do it with Booker T and MGs live.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "S(h)ittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" by Blow Fly.

• "S(h)ittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" by Blow Fly.

slight correction: "shittin OFF the dock of the bay"...ya know? because he is watchin his turd float away...

slight correction: "shittin OFF the dock of the bay"...ya know? because he is watchin his turd float away...

I saw Blow Fly do that song live last summer and I was shittin' in my pants, laughing. What album is this from?

MORE "DOCK OF THE BAY" COVERS: O.C. Smith
    (not particularly a fan of his, but I listed it anyway so it wouldn't look like I was derailing the thread)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I saw Blow Fly do that song live last summer and I was shittin' in my pants, laughing. What album is this from?

THE WEIRD WORLD OF BLOWFLY, which I'm pretty sure is his debut

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Soulful Strings

Odell Brown

Upsetters feat Jimmy Weiss

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The Peggy Lee version is dope. I would love to hear Blowfly's version.

My favorite one is by Relly Coloma.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Roberto Roena y Su Apollo Sound - El Pato de la Bahia

Funny thing is that whoever translated the name of the song translated it as it was "The duck of the bay" and not "The dock..."

Peace

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

By far the best cover version.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    The Staple singers have a dope version!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Deirdre Wilson Tabac

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Didn't King Curtis play this too?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    the Sergio Mendez version is pretty cool, although has got a little bit too much of a "hotel lobby" feel to it.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    freddy mckay

By far the best cover version.

• Deirdre Wilson Tabac

their cover of 'Get Back' is

$??

I'm surprised more country artists haven't attempted this tune. I heard an Elvis impersonator do this song at an open mic a few months ago and I'm surprised no one thought to give it that treatmemnt before.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The Dakars (Jubilee 45)

• There's a cover on some super lo-budget comp called "This is Soul" that's REALLY dope. The guitar player is fantastic!

- J

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    There's a cover on some super lo-budget comp called "This is Soul" that's REALLY dope. The guitar player is fantastic!

- J

There are at least three unrelated This Is Soul comp from the 68-70 period - but if it's the same one I'm thinking of there's also some raw Wilson Pickett-style vocals on one or two of those tracks.

Other covers worth a spin include Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett (live), King Curtis, Jimmy Smith, Deirde Wilson Tabac, Book T and the MGs...there must be more. Am I imagining it or is there a Sergio Mendes Brazil 66 cover of this out there somewhere?

Deirdre Wilson Tabac
    Yes.
    Who's the male vocalist for the group? He has a voice that sounds ill to me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Staple singers have a dope version!

I have to admitt I have not heard all the versions you all are talking about. I'm guessing I have heard the Staple Singers, Wilson Pickett, Booker T, Jimmy Smith versions and just can't remember them because they were forgettable.

Seems to me some songs were meant to be covered; GLORIA, Ain't Know Sunshine. Other songs, like Dock Of The Bay, are best left alone.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Los Temerarios - La Muele de la baia (or something) late 60s Mexican.

• Didn't King Curtis play this too?

yes, on "SWEET SOUL."