DJs - Choice last-play of the set?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
I am doing a lot of mix tapes lately and I always find that picking the last tune is one helluva tuff challenge.To me its the most powerful record of the set cause it leaves that lasting impression on the listener.SO, with that said.... what would your last-play of choice be?AND, if anything, what are you saying with it?Doesn't matter what it is, funk, soul, jazz, hippety hop, whatever......At the moment mine is AKO's Untitled. and I'm saying 'This stuff is serious son. Now you go away and think on it'

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Something real chill so you can cool out at the end of the tape. Joints like the live version of "Summer Madness."

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think one of the best was on paulnice's breaks for days, the doubles of "get thy bearings" was an unbeleivable moment.

You gotta leave em wanting more.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Something real chill so you can cool out at the end of the tape. Joints like the live version of "Summer Madness."

Cosign. My vote goes to Expansions by Lonnie Liston Smith.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    On my last mix I chose Theme De Yo Yo by Art Ensemble Of Chicago.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    MJ "I Can't Help It" Todd Terje re-edit.....

this will be huge.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

this will be huge.

cottdamn i can't wait for this shit to come out already!

Simple and effective. The perfect remix. Compliment instead of take over.

ie. BANGIN' SON!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

this will be huge.

Where can this be copped?

P.S. I HEART SOULSEEK.

• MJ "I Can't Help It" Todd Terje re-edit.....

this will be huge.

Where can this be copped?

P.S. I HEART SOULSEEK.

It's out on a promo 12" available trough Lars in Sweden (i forget the name of the store... musicmania?)

should have copped multiples.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yo can anyone yousendit an MP3 of that MJ Re-Edit?

• listen to a snippet here

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Gamm is a "cheeky" rmx/re-edit side label of Raw Fusion run by Mad Mats and based out of Stockholm. There're 4-5 stores in the world that get preferential treatment w/ GAMM releases, stocking them months in advance of general release. The Todd Terje re-edit showed up in those 4-5 shops about a month ago. The official release is supposedly mid May, fingers crossed.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03ORHE6U20NQZ0OLHZWYPIU6O2

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Gamm is a "cheeky" rmx/re-edit side label of Raw Fusion run by Mad Mats and based out of Stockholm. There're 4-5 stores in the world that get preferential treatment w/ GAMM releases, stocking them months in advance of general release. The Todd Terje re-edit showed up in those 4-5 shops about a month ago. The official release is supposedly mid May, fingers crossed.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03ORHE6U20NQZ0OLHZWYPIU6O2

Cool. I'll look for that when it comes out. Got to support Scandinavia.
    Back on topic: I like to play the 8-minute version of "El Raton" from

Great lead vocals from Cheo Feliciano, moving call-and-response with the backup singers, nice intensity buildup ??? perfect closer. Gets the ladies everytime.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

or one of my favorites by mandrill "afrikus retrospektus".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm definitely more of one of those - go with the chill outro - types.

Carless Donovan's cover of "Be Thankful For What You Got" has closed not one, but two mixtapes of mine.

Outkast's "Elevators" is another great closer.

Usually, I want to find some mega-chill, sublime soul cut. On some Moments' "Sexy Lady" tip, you know?

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Not for tapes, but I leave most party's with "Beast of Burdon."

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    since most bars shut down around these parts at 3AM...there is nothing more perfect than Johnny Guitar Watson "3 hours past midinight" for me.

• meikel_neitmeikel_neit 110 Posts
    one of my favs to end it all is "Pavanne" by the Soulful Strings (from that live record) (props to Scope for making this the last song on one of his tapes and pointing me on it years ago).
    an incredible nice german tune to finish the night off (or get it started again, depending on where you play is "Morgens um 5" by Mary Roos, a laid back tune bout what the city is like at 5 in the morning. that is my ish.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    When I used to DJ my closer for a long time was the ODB version of "Good Morning Heartache", it always seemed appropriate at 3 or 4AM.

• OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
    Diplomats - Take em' to church

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Diplomats - Take em' to church
    that dood has the "alabama love gun" all wrong...I guess he likes one in the pink and two in the stink.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Outkast - Spottieottiedopalicious