Black Jazz / Spiritual Jazz Recommendations...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I'm after stuff which sounds like "Higher Ground" or "Power And Glory"... what other tunes or LPs have a similar full spiritual sound... ?I'm a newb when it comes to this... where's aschrock and the other knowledgable heads about this ish at. What Black Jazz titles are must haves. I've only got Doug Carn "Revelation".peace.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm after stuff which sounds like "Higher Ground" or "Power And Glory"... what other tunes or LPs have a similar full spiritual sound... ?

I'm a newb when it comes to this... where's aschrock and the other knowledgable heads about this ish at. What Black Jazz titles are must haves. I've only got Doug Carn "Revelation".

peace.

Charles Sullivan-Genesis on Strata -East(later press on Inner City and Japanese on Trio)
    Dee Dee Bridgewater-Afro Blue on Trio
    Stanley Clarke-Children of Tomorrow on Polydor

many more...

• I'm after stuff which sounds like "Higher Ground" or "Power And Glory"... what other tunes or LPs have a similar full spiritual sound... ?

I'm a newb when it comes to this... where's aschrock and the other knowledgable heads about this ish at. What Black Jazz titles are must haves. I've only got Doug Carn "Revelation".

peace.

Dude I am running out the door but I will post some stuff tonight!

PS: by "spiritual" you mean electric instruments with dee-dee bridgewater style vocals, right? (not reed-heavy coltrane)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    You might wanna do some searching too, Sheep. I recall there being more than a least a couple threads about this.

• as far as the actual black jazz label, most of the titles are disappointing, in my opinion. "the awakening" lp's are decent, but even those are 2 trackers at best. fucks with gary bartz "another earth" on milestone. pharoah sanders' "tauhid" on impulse is also lovely in that vein. i'd also recommend creative arts ensemble "new horizons" on riza. beautiful local private jazz on the spiritual tip.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    i'd also recommend creative arts ensemble "new horizons" on riza.

These do turn up but not much, right?

• i'd also recommend creative arts ensemble "new horizons" on riza.

These do turn up but not much, right?
    yeah, i mean we probably see it here in LA more than other places, but it's not that tough to come by. excellent record though.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    On a slightly related note, I just checked the Black Jazz website and they got their own online radio station now, so far some really nice selections, none of the nu-jazz I was fearing. By the way that track playing during the intro of the site has to be my favorite Black Jazz tune by far ('Our November' by Walter Bishop Jr.). Never really got into the vocal stuff.

• "the awakening" lp's are decent, but even those are 2 trackers at best.

yeah, i'm not much a fan, dude. matter of fact, i have a copy of "hear, sense, feel" if anyone's interested. but really, black jazz is just hype, if you ask me. even that roland haynes record is