Your favorite tepid funk terds!

Comments

• I wanna hear what people think is wrongly being called a terd. I mean, defend it with some actual knowledge rather than, "yo that's classic! and funky". Other than Archie Whitewater and Trouble Man I don't see anything in this thread I own or would like to own.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wanna hear what people think is wrongly being called a terd. I mean, defend it with some actual knowledge rather than, "yo that's classic! and funky". Other than Archie Whitewater and Trouble Man I don't see anything in this thread I own or would like to own.

Sorry, I just realized Phill was being sarcastic. Around here though, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone saying "yeah, Marvin and the Meters suck."

• DONT STOP THE HATT NOW

H.P. Riot

true that! that shit is

• i dont mean mad as in angry

• S.O.U.L., Can You Feel It?

out your damn mind??? put tha pipe down

• soulstrut factor in full effect

definitely way overhyped! wow. uh...

although i'd probably still drop $10 on it...

beautiful record. ako, in your suit pic, you look like an alcoholic...the subtleties of this record may be lost on you. get yourself a nice heroin addiction, put out some more records, recover from the drugs and o back to this record. youll appreciate it

• As far as S.O.U.L....I like the three 45's I have by those guys rather than that particular album, which I remember being too mellow for the room. Never heard their other elpee.)

if one of those 45s is burning spear, then you get a hell of a bside on there, thats from their 2nd record. besides that, "piece of mind" has got to be one of the most anti-terd piece of music out there. youre blasphemy appals me

• I wanna hear what people think is wrongly being called a terd. I mean, defend it with some actual knowledge rather than, "yo that's classic! and funky". Other than Archie Whitewater and Trouble Man I don't see anything in this thread I own or would like to own.

dear john,

you cannot hate on early kool and the gang.

"piece of mind" has got to be one of the most anti-terd piece of music out there. youre blasphemy appals me

co-sign.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Archie Whitewater

soulstrut factor in full effect

beautiful record. ako, in your suit pic, you look like an alcoholic...the subtleties of this record may be lost on you. get yourself a nice heroin addiction, put out some more records, recover from the drugs and o back to this record. youll appreciate it

I can see WHY some folks like this record, but if it were as common as a Rotary Connection LP I doubt that it would get this kind reaction from people. Just my opinion, but hey, I love Scott Walker records, so who am I to say. I just think it's an average relic of the times...nothing that special caught my ears.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I swear some folls in this thread are hating just so they can taste what it feels like to hate.

Speaking the true. It's like a tea party in this b*tch.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

Dick Wolf

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I swear some folls in this thread are hating just so they can taste what it feels like to hate.

Please. The nature of this thread is to be subjective.

I'm confused why my dislike for Trouble Man offends people so greatly, as if my opinion is literally impeding people from enjoying it.

I'm confused why my dislike for Trouble Man offends people so greatly, as if my opinion is literally impeding people from enjoying it.

You have violated the Soul Strut

You have violated the Soul Strut

He's right though...his opinion IS literally keeping me from enjoying it!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    But I know we can agree on The 'Mats -- accept for "Within Your Reach" because it has a drum machine.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    taana gardner is tepid

But I know we can agree on The 'Mats.

Well duh!

I was just listening to The Suburbs - In Combo on Twin Tone yesterday (picked it up from a friend who has family in St Paul/St Cloud)...that shit REALLY brought back the MN High School memories. Good times (well, most of 'em...)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But I know we can agree on The 'Mats -- accept for "Within Your Reach" because it has a drum machine.

I have Replacement bootleg raer with

"Within Your Reach" live (on disaster open for Tom Petty tour),

real drums and full band and it is a thing of beauty.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Whooops.... I was thinking about the first S.O.U.L., I've actually never heard the 2nd (always wanted to, based on the strength of the debut...)

I don't know which came first, but Can You Dig It? was the album I heard. I like the title track - I have it on a 45 - but I vaguely recall the LP being a little too jazzy and flute-y for my tastes. I was expecting an all-out funk-bordering-on-rock extravaganza like "The Joneses," this other S.O.U.L. single I got. It wasn't like that.

HOT DOG is a classic as far as I'm concerned, own the OG LP and CD and have gotten much enjoyment out of both...

Only two songs on there I like, "Who's Making Love" and something else I can't remember (I wanna say "Turtle Walk"). The rest of it sounds like an aging jazz guy trying in vain to keep up with the times. I do like Donaldson's funkier albums - no way I'm gonna hate on Alligator Boogaloo, Midnight Creeper or Everything I Play Is Funky. But Hot Dog just doesn't do it for me.

Black Nasty is very representative of the sort of rock-funk fusion of the mid-70s that I have no tolerance for.

And that's why I like it. See, bands like Black Merda, Black Nasty, Black Heat, Black Lightning, Maxayn, Funkadelic, Purple Image - that my shit right there. Hell, I'd even put early 70's Curtis and Stevie in that category. That kind of free-form funkafide filth with rock overtones is my MEAT, so I am the last person to dump on Talking To The People. It's a classic to me.

And no, I don't hate on Kool & the Gang's early albums. But, again, Live At P.J.'s has too much of a laid-back jazzbo thing going on. No thanks, I'll stick with their Good Times album, or The Best Of Kool & The Gang - both from the same era.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Archie Whitewater

I can see WHY some folks like this record, but if it were as common as a Rotary Connection LP I doubt that it would get this kind reaction from people. Just my opinion, but hey, I love Scott Walker records, so who am I to say. I just think it's an average relic of the times...nothing that special caught my ears.

Archie Whitewater is a fantastic record. You guys are joking, right? How can you not like Archie Whitewater? What's wrong with it? No Funk? What's up???

Archie Whitewater

Archie Whitewater is a fantastic record. You guys are joking, right? How can you not like Archie Whitewater? What's wrong with it? No Funk? What's up???

This LP is so average I can't believe people think it is so unbeleivable!

The first Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago Transit Authority LPs are funkier and better than this LP, just to name 2 records in a similar vein from the same era! It's a fine example of jazz-rock-blooz from the time, and I would be thrilled to find it for under $10, but that's where my excitement ends.

Please, feel free to expound on why this record is so face-melting (outside of it's relative raerity and the 'Hulk'break, which is nice). But know in advance that you will never convince me that this is something every funk fan needs to hear. It's as formula as you can get, and pretty much defines tepid grail status.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Archie Whitewater

The first Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago Transit Authority LPs are funkier and better than this LP, just to name 2 records in a similar vein from the same era! It's a fine example of jazz-rock-blooz from the time, and I would be thrilled to find it for under $10, but that's where my excitement ends.

Please, feel free to expound on why this record is so face-melting (outside of it's relative raerity and the 'Hulk'break, which is nice). But know in advance that you will never convince me that this is something every funk fan needs to hear. It's as formula as you can get, and pretty much defines tepid grail status.

Soulstrut!!!

Fuck breaks, fuck Funk. Why did someone mention Archie Whitewater in this thread anyways? It's not supposed to be Funk. There are at least 7 superb songs (meaning composition and lyrics) on that record. No hard Funk or breaks, but simply good music and a good sound. Maybe too popish for most? Maybe not too tough and obscure? Not real Psych, cause the musicians are too good for that "Psych" sound. No snappy snares?

That record is not overpriced. It went for less than 60 USD. That's not much. Compared to a mediocre 10 USD Blood Sweat and Tears LP.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Archie Whitewater

Why this record was brought up in a thread that's supposed to be about "funk" is confusing to me. I see this as a psych/soul record, if you had to put a label on it. "Cross Country" is the JAM. I remember hearing it for the first time via hommie dreas in Chicago on the way to a record show and it immediatly shot to the top of my list of most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and I still believe that. As far as the rest of the record goes, everytime I play it through, I'm always like,

, I forgot that this or that track was on here. Classic Cadet.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Why this record was brought up in a thread that's supposed to be about "funk" is confusing to me. I see this as a psych/soul record, if you had to put a label on it. "Cross Country" is the JAM. I remember hearing it for the first time via hommie dreas in Chicago on the way to a record show and it immediatly shot to the top of my list of most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and I still believe that. As far as the rest of the record goes, everytime I play it through, I'm always like, \, I forgot that this or that track was on here. Classic Cadet.

Let me cosign! You're speaking the truth! Thanks.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Fuck breaks, fuck Funk.

co-sign......."cross country" hits me right there, it has a strong emotional impact on me. Can't really describe it....

now my nomination, prease feel free to son...

• the only thing that surprises me about Archie W. is how hard people think it is to find. I mean, it's not common but it comes up for sale more than once a year. I think I've had four copies over the last few years, I don't follow it on ebay or anything.

Sometimes I think people on this site make things rare in their minds because they can't find it in their local shop for a tenner.

I think K&TG 1st LP is superb. Tony, totally missed that one. WTF???

The_Mack you don't know naan about disco so I'm going to pretend you didn't say anything....

I can understand where Pickwick's coming from on Black Nasty, it's nothing interesting to me (I do like Merda, BarKays, and other black rock of the period though.)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the only thing that surprises me about Archie W. is how hard people think it is to find. I mean, it's not common but it comes up for sale more than once a year. I think I've had four copies over the last few years, I don't follow it on ebay or anything.

who said that archie whitewater was rare? i mean, it's on cadet concept. there are many copies on eBay and i see that record for sale on lists all the time. there has even been a uk pressing of it. i never found a copy in germany, but it has not been hard to find on the internet. it's not that rare. but it's still such a good record.

co-sign on black nasty, although i can somehow still enjoy the record from time to time. it's ok, but not ??ber-funky.

CO-SIGN on purdie. i don't like his solo records that much. his drumming sounds the same all the time and the tunes are not ??berly-funky. (ehhm, i think lialeh is totally overrated. )

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think K&TG 1st LP is superb.

Another favorite...