When the 'Strut talks about MODERN SOUL ...

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
why isn't michael's 'off the wall' ever mentioned? i know he's on the SS 5 star list but to me, that's one of the best side to side modern/boogie lps ever. better than any private boner i've heard so far...thoughts?guzzo?

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    why isn't michael's 'off the wall' ever mentioned? i know he's on the SS 5 star list but to me, that's one of the best side to side modern/boogie lps ever.

Agreed...that's a classic 5 star LP with no weak links, unlike the more commercially-popular follow-up.

However, I consider the OTW LP a bit more on the disco-soul side of the spectrum as its more uptempo than the stuff usually referred to as Modern Soul. Or perhaps commercial success = not Modern Soul, while obscure = Modern Soul?

Billy Ocean's "Nights" LP has a similar vibe to it too and is hardly ever referenced.

SG

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Billy Ocean's "Nights" LP has a similar vibe to it too and is hardly ever referenced.

SG

wow, i now know 3 people who are down with that LP. but back to OTW, i always felt that, musically, it went far beyond any other lp released that year, either disco or soul or both.

rod temperton killed it.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

SG

wow, i now know 3 people who are down with that LP. but back to OTW, i always felt that, musically, it went far beyond any other lp released that year, either disco or soul or both.

rod temperton killed it.

Yes, it's an EXTREMELY strong album with wide appeal that I believe transcends genres.

SG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    why isn't michael's 'off the wall' ever mentioned? i know he's on the SS 5 star list but to me, that's one of the best side to side modern/boogie lps ever.

better than any private boner i've heard so far...

thoughts?

guzzo?

without a doubt both that and Thriller are 5 star modern soul LP's. I don't know why I never mentioned them. I guess cause they are so uber known that its almost beyond beyond jokey to title them as "modern soul"

defintly better than most early late 70's/ early 80's soul LP's I've heard. That Billy Ocean Nights is amazing too. People are sleeping if they arent dropping the $1- $5 to hear some really great soulful music from the Carribean Queen.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    However, I consider the OTW LP a bit more on the disco-soul side of the spectrum as its more uptempo than the stuff usually referred to as Modern Soul.

More Funk/Disco than Soul.

Gonna Burn This Disco
    Get On The Floor
    Off The Wall

MJ's roots are in Soul, but he was shooting for the big discos @ that time.