What do you think would be a good...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
...rate to charge people to transfer their vinyl to CDs? Getting my freelance game on lock...I was thinking $15 per album, so that would cover transportation cost to pickup and dropoff, time, and materials (i.e. blank discs)

Comments

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    ...rate to charge people to transfer their vinyl to CDs? Getting my freelance game on lock...I was thinking $15 per album, so that would cover transportation cost to pickup and dropoff, time, and materials (i.e. blank discs)

- gear expertise

- gear wear & tear (cart/needle/computer/etc)

- time calibrating your gear/software to the record - AKA setup - (15 min)

- time inputing/supervising the recording process (30-50 min/album)

- time normalizing/editing/cutting record - (15-30 min, depending on skips, pops, etc)

- time mastering/burning files to CD - (15-30 min)

approx 75-125 min

= flat rate of $50 lp, $25 flat fee for pops/click repair

• ...rate to charge people to transfer their vinyl to CDs? Getting my freelance game on lock...I was thinking $15 per album, so that would cover transportation cost to pickup and dropoff, time, and materials (i.e. blank discs)

- gear expertise
    - gear wear & tear (cart/needle/computer/etc)
    - time calibrating your gear/software to the record
    - time inputing/supervising the recording process
    - time normalizing/editing/cutting record
    - time mastering/burning files to CD

= flat rate of $50 lp, but that's just me.

if my setup was that complex, I'd do $50, but I just record to an audio CD-RW, import to my laptop and burn an audio CD from iTunes so it will have all the ID3 info and cover art.

• I'm not tryna be an ass, just a lil' context....isn't this something anyone can do if they have an interface (and attendant software) between their amplified phonograph and their computer?

• I'm not tryna be an ass, just a lil' context....isn't this something anyone can do if they have an interface (and attendant software) between their amplified phonograph and their computer?

well sure, but that's why I'm marketing this service to all the non-technophiles on craigslist. Plus, it's basically free money to listen to records, and if they got some hot shit, I can keep a copy for myself. It hit me when I was transferring that Puerto Rican record in the other thread last night, cause a lot of fools have records but no record player....

well sure, but that's why I'm marketing this service to all the non-technophiles on craigslist. Plus, it's basically free money to listen to records, and if they got some hot shit, I can keep a copy for myself. It hit me when I was transferring that Puerto Rican record in the other thread last night, cause a lot of fools have records but no record player....

Yessir, I do. Sounds like a good hustle. GL.