PArk SlOpe VS. Williamsburg

soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
*discuss*

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    If this means choosing between Bam and DSF, I WON'T DO IT!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Two different animals entirely, dog.

But if this is discussing that you might be relocating this way soon, it really all depends on what you're looking for. But there are other viable options than these 2 for sure.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Lesbian Couples with adopted asian babies

vs.

Corny Hipsters who make their lame ass fashion job sound 10x as important as it actually is

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    ...baby strollers v. hipsters...

(is the discussion getting serious?)

... discussing your children v. discussing your amazing new projects...

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

What if your children are your amazing new project???

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Two different animals entirely, dog.

But if this is discussing that you might be relocating this way soon, it really all depends on what you're looking for. But there are other viable options than these 2 for sure.

the wifey got a job out in nyc, her friend has her convinced that those are the spots to live, but, i have my doubts due to the hipster factor...
    lemme know some spots, we have to come out in a few weeks to apt hunt...
    many thanks

Lesbian Couples with adopted asian babies
    vs.
    Corny Hipsters who make their lame ass fashion job sound 10x as important as it actually is

great so basically it's like LA

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ya'll are on some sissy artsy hipster steeze!

East New York vs. Brownsville

Discuss..........

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Seems like some decisions have been made Drez...glad a resolution is on the horizon.

PS... question should be...

The Bronx vs. th-th-tha bridge

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

What if your children are your amazing new project???

Plaese to see comment about adopted Asian babys.

Seems like some decisions have been made Drez...glad a resolution is on the horizon.

PS... question should be...

The Bronx vs. th-th-tha bridge

ha, fresh... decision is still up in the air, i wanna weigh some options, see if i really feel like risking my marriage by being hard headed about an east coast move... i mean i'm a sucker for some carne asada & whittier blvd...
    i will know for sure by june 1st, but im prolly movin im just kiddin myself

peace homie

seriously though. mine love has lived in billiamsbore for 7 years, and her family has been here since the '80s. it's changed, to say the least. but, i got nothing to do with hipsters, so they don't really bother me (most of the time). though, i've lived (and squatted in) a lot of places and have been completely wu-wei about the enviornment. detachment, situation.

...verily, verily, verily, life is but a dream...

(that said, we're moving.)

where to? & thanks for the advice, i think we will be out there in like 2wks or so, we must connect for dinner & plot world domination re: Van***** Sq*** 45's ...
    peace

where to? & thanks for the advice, i think we will be out there in like 2wks or so, we must connect for dinner & plot world domination re: Van***** Sq*** 45's ...

peace

my wonderful loveliness has a laundry list of what she would like, which is dwindling our possibilities. as of now, nowhere. park slopper/prospect heights is where the current leads are. you two should come out, we'll show you around, discuss some amazing projects, and check out the latest in high end strollers...

This is the '06 model, actually... It was only $799.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    discuss some amazing projects, and check out the latest in high end strollers...

This is the '06 model, actually... It was only $799.

This one's better...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Williamsburg is a neighborhood that has been defined by people who have never lived there... ie, Village Voice columnists.

1) they went on and on about how cool it was without going there.

2) they went on and on about how "over" it is without going there.

Facts:
    1) Hipsters are twats, but they are all over NYC.
    2) Bushwick has just as many trustafarians as Wburg. It's the artist/loft factor that keeps them shelling out for silly rent in rather desolate areas.
    3) Williamsburg in general is NOT jumping. Bedford Ave shuts down at about 1am, in this respect it is pretty much like Park Slope.
    4) Park Slope is much further away from Manhattan, and feels more like some North London neighborhood. It has more trees than Wburg.
    5) Parkslope and Wburg both have great restaurants, Wburg slightly cheaper. Bushwick has not much.
    6) If I see another hipster smacking his cigarette packet, I'm going to smack him. Just coz you saw it in a Jean-Paul Belmondo film, doesn't mean you need to do it to today's filter-tipped cigs. Twat.
    7) Wburg Southside is where it's at. We party later and you might even meet a real artist.

Move to Greenpoint if you don't have to get into the city every day. It's just as polluted as Williamsburg but with much better bakeries and european chocolate selections.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Fort Greene is cool but so ridiculously expensive and rapidly displacing folks that live there. Come Jay-Z and the Brooklyn Nets or whatever the fuck they'll call them that'll accelerate the process.

Clinton Hill has always seemed incredibly cool to me. Looked at a bunch of places out there and would have moved had the trains been a bit easier for getting to/from work.

Crown Heights is cool. Prospect Heights is cool. Sunset Park is cool but a bit far out.

Park Slope is on some cookie-cutter shit and doesn't feel real half the time. Comfortable but too much so. Lived on the south end of it for my time in Brooklyn... dug my neighborhood but the center of "the slope" was kinda wack IMO... my ex lived there and it was just too picture perfect for me and yes... stroller jam all day long.

Williamsburg is was it is. Fucking mindblowing to see how that neighborhood has changed in the past 6 years. The hassidic jews are tired of y'all... they don't care 'bout raers.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Williamsburg is a neighborhood that has been defined by people who have never lived there... ie, Village Voice columnists.

Facts:
    2) Bushwick has just as many trustafarians as Wburg. It's the artist/loft factor that keeps them shelling out for silly rent in rather desolate areas.
    3) Williamsburg in general is NOT jumping. Bedford Ave shuts down at about 1am, in this respect it is pretty much like Park Slope.
    4) Park Slope is much further away from Manhattan, and feels more like some North London neighborhood. It has more trees than Wburg.
    5) Parkslope and Wburg both have great restaurants, Wburg slightly cheaper. Bushwick has not much.
    6) If I see another hipster smacking his cigarette packet, I'm going to smack him. Just coz you saw it in a Jean-Paul Belmondo film, doesn't mean you need to do it to today's filter-tipped cigs. Twat.
    7) Wburg Southside is where it's at. We party later and you might even meet a real artist.

Move to Greenpoint if you don't have to get into the city every day. It's just as polluted as Williamsburg but with much better bakeries and european chocolate selections.

real talk

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    There are a ton of great neighborhoods all over the city. I would stay away from Williamsburg (overpriced), Bushwick (WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO LIVE IN THE WICK THAT SHIT IS GUN CLAP TERRITORY STILL), Park Slope is aiight but pricey (South Slope is cheaper plus there's halfway decent Mexican restaurants/groceries, but is rundown and depressing), check Windsor Terrace & Kensington for safe (NOT trendy, if that's what your wife's into) and affordable apts not too far from the city. Plus all of Queens, Uptown, etc etc etc.

Everyone thinks they have to live somewhere hip. That shit ends up just costing more $$$. And as for close proximity, I mean that's kind of not even an issue coming from LA, everything is at most 1 hr apart from one end of the city to the other and if you have a car you must consider parking. Park Slope (for comparison) is about 30 min into the city and you have access to more trains (ie arteries) than Williamsburg. WB only has the L train which is quick but only takes you along 14th St, if you have to get to LES or midtown you have to transfer and travel more. I've never seen the point.

Also, a lot of these hipster spots thrive off substandard and subcode warehouse/loft spaces, I wouldn't really fuck with it. Get you a standard apartment where you'll feel comfortable and not have to take out a bank loan. If you already live in the hood and are accustomed to it (read: not some shook herb from shookistan) then there are even more options for you. There are lots of hoods out here that aren't especially dangerous but have too many brown people for the hipster contingent to deal with (yet).

Holler if you want more info, def let's get up when you're in town!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Park Slope is on some cookie-cutter shit and doesn't feel real half the time.

Ouch, you said it.

My main problem with Williamsburg is that most of the recent arrivals (meaning everyone who got there after me ) moved there straight from UMich campus or wherever. The previous wave moved there from Manhattan and were a) a bit more streetwise and b) appreciated the neighborhood vibe and the space so they got creative. Now they just want to move into a prefab "loft".

... Speaking as someone with a few splinters and much paint under fingernails as I type.

Also, in future Williamsburg will get dark about an hour earlier due to a wall of 46 storey condos that are going up along the waterfront. The ground floors will have commercial space with a minimum of 10k sq feet. This means Wholepaycheck Foods and Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc, etc. Yippee. See my other post about New York City.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Bay Ridge WHAT!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Why are you limiting yourself to Brooklyn? I lived in Park Slope back in 2001, and I thought it was kind of a boring, albeit pretty, neighborhood.

There are a lot of good deals to be had in the Wall Street/Water Street area, right on the island of Manhattan. Or, you can come join us in the gentrification of Harlem!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    I lived on the South Side of WillyB. Broadway and Havemeyer. This was about 4 years ago. Honestly. I dug Williamsburg. Not so much for the "hipster" aspect but living in Coney island all my life with retirees sun bathing and sitting on park benches this was a nice change for me. Coffee shops, Record shops, flea markets, organic food stores right in walking distance. Places that I used to frequent. Was there a few weekends ago and you really can not walk on Bedford avenue during mid day. Its packed. Chain stores opening up, didnt see the side walk sellers I once saw. Parking was terrible. A little older now (28) and moved further down. A little south of Prospect Park to a hood called Midwood. Its a perfect fit. Seems that the Slope prices are rising and alot of independent coffe shops and restaurants are opening up. Found a great one bedroom with indoor parking (like many apt. buildings on my block) Express train gets me to the first stop in manhattan in 30 minutes. Ah shit so whats my take on WillyB....you gotta spend some time there like anywhere else to truly know whats up. Park slope to me is just corny. I dont get the neighborhood. I dont get what transition its in because i feel its always been that way. You have lawyers, artists, doctors all in the hood. I just dont care for it. If i was a family man I would possibly think differently.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Facts:

This is pretty much the deal.
    I've lived here for 4 years, on the southside of Williamsburg. I like it because I have easy walking-distance access to 2 subway lines (L and JMZ), plus I live a block away from the bridge, so I can get yellow cabs into the city.
    Add to that a gym which is a mere $100/6 months (go Frenchie!) and a few other added bonuses... I got no reason to move.

Oh and not forgetting Peter Luger... the best steak in NYC.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    dont do it

just kidding. i know ive been to both but i couldnt tell you shit about them. youll have fun, but kiss the good mexican food goodbye.

and the cheap records.

and the good latin soul.

the cheap weed

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    welcome, rez!

I've been in Prospect Heights for four years and love it. We would stay in that neighborhood in a second, but the new place we just found was in (corny) Park Slope. That said, think twice about the new Nets arena that's going into P-Heights. That's gonna fuck up the whole spot... not so much when it's finished as during the five years they're building it. If opening my windows = Dust in my raers, I ain't havin' it.

We were looking in Sunset Park, P-heights, Windsor Terrace and Lefferts.

Park Slope? I'm from Indiana, so I'm used to corn. The move boiled down to wifey and I deciding what was important to us -- size/layout of the apartment, being by the park was important, the food co-op (no hippy) etc. than neighborhood. I'm mid-30s, and wifey and I are "lame" (no nightlife) so hip neighborhood is not a priority. I ain't looking forward to the critical mass of strollers, but it seems to me that BillyJuniorBurg is getting to be kinda the same way.

No, no trees in williamsburg. Box stores are on their way, too. see yesterday's NYTimes for more information.

Trains are tough in Clinton Hill, and it's pretty expensive. You could look in Red Hook, but that's tough on the trains as well.

the socal swap meet [they call them fleas out there and resemble the rose bowl]