some old cool photos(NRR)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
this morning I was going through some boxes of my mom's things(she passed away three years ago) and I found some great photos that I thought I would share, they are all from the 30s and 40s.my aunt helen and uncle bud...this one is dated may 18, 1930. I love how thephotographer(my grandma perhaps) caught the dog in mid yawn or bark.my mom, grandpa and uncle rick. My grandpa is looking particulary gangsta I think. judging by my guess of my moms age being 6 or 7 in this and the fact my grandpa was in WWII, this is prolly 1945 or 1946.bud haulin some ice, this pic looks like it could be a still form an old coen bros. movie. prolly early 1930s.my mom having a good time. this is prolly 1941.

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Damn, those are great pictures. I love family/amatuer pictures of people from the 20s thru 40s, just hanging out in their suits. I wish people still wore suits to just hang out.
    On a similar note, I was running my mom's garage sale a couple of months back and found my dead grandfather's wallet in one of the boxes. Now, my grandfather's Dad was gunned down by the mafia when my grandpa was 19. My great grandpa was the mayor of this town (he was an immigrant from Ukraine) and when he tried to kick the mafia out they shot him. In my Grandpa's wallet I found three newspaper clippings with pictures. One was just of my great grandpa. The other two were of my grandpa and his brother walking with their mom alongside the coffin. He carried those pics in his wallet for over seventy years and not even my mom knew about it. It really put his life into perspective. He was one of the smartest people I ever met. He had gone to Harvard at age 15 and was at Harvard law school when his Father was shot. When that happened he had to come back to Ohio and take care of his mother and drop out of law school. Had my Great-grandfather not been gunned down by the mafia, my grandpa would have never met his future wife and I would have never even had the chance of existing. Crazy story, huh.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Sorry to hear about your mom too, cuz. Condolences, belated as they are.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Thanks for sharing these. I wish I had some things like this.

• DOPE.

photos like these are always fun to check out. you get to see a whole different side of your family. i need to find the old photo of my dad with a jewfro, drippy peace sign pendant necklace, throwin up the peace sign, and my uncle's bong up on the shelf next to him. el classico.

• my aunt helen and uncle bud...this one is dated may 18, 1930. I love how the
    photographer(my grandma perhaps) caught the dog in mid yawn or bark.

Dude, your aunt helen is hot!

• This is a nice thread! I love old pictures, and I got great family pictures back home in America... '20's through the '80's, shits are dope.

Makes me feel kinda bad, because I don't take many pictures of people or friends... It'd be nice to pass those on one day.

Anyhow, here's one of my most prized posessions I've acquired in Japan. Found this in an empty sleeve in the dollar bins at Hard Off. One thing that I thought was great is it really sums up Japan nicely, and has many key elements. Cherry blossoms... Masked heroes... Discomfort... Boredom... just to name a few.

Classic.

Peace...
    FM

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is a nice thread! I love old pictures, and I got great family pictures back home in America... '20's through the '80's, shits are dope.

Makes me feel kinda bad, because I don't take many pictures of people or friends... It'd be nice to pass those on one day.

Anyhow, here's one of my most prized posessions I've acquired in Japan. Found this in an empty sleeve in the dollar bins at Hard Off. One thing that I thought was great is it really sums up Japan nicely, and has many key elements. Cherry blossoms... Masked heroes... Discomfort... Boredom... just to name a few.

Classic.

Peace...
    FM

That's AWESOME!

• very cool pictures. Its amazing how you look at these old flicks from the 40's and realize how these people were dripping with style for days. What the fuck happened? Oh well. Maybe I can get around to scanning some old ones from my family..some really cool flicks of my great Grandparents(who were full blooded Cherokee Indian). They look pretty wicked in the flicks..spooky even.