Aside from HipHop... (new music related)

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone actually listen to a lot of "new" music? It seems like being into rare and obscure sounds from the past, there's almost no time or energy to really get into anything too deep on the current tip. Maybe I'm just soft, but I can't really juggle the two worlds properly. I'm just talking serious music burn-out after awhile.

Comments

• i try occasionally, but 99% of dudes in bands make me want to kick their ass... not like local band dudes, but mtv/radio bands

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I listen to alot of "new" music. But just like old music you have to wade through alot of garbage to get to the good stuff.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I stopped listening to new music in 1997

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    just like old music you have to wade through alot of garbage to get to the good stuff.

Yeah, thats the problem. I can only do so much wading. Those year end "best of" lists all the e-rags publish can help. But I often find those to often be just derivative carbon-copies of eachother. So yeah, whenever I get in the mood to listen to current music, I just fall back on the stuff I discovered like 5 years ago.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm always listening to new and old stuff... I'm trying to physically make my head explode.

- spidey

• Its hard to devote enough time to buying and listening to what you want when you're holding down a 9-2-5, studying real hard and you got a girl who you spend a lot of time with.

That said my dose of the new stuff comes through listening to a lot of dancehall and reggaeton, if only because I've got good reggae shops and radio stations in my area. When I go out I hardly go to listen to a bloke playing his stuff. Its all about the good clubs and the new music.

When I'm at home its all Blue Note, Mulatu, Clive Chin and trying out those shitty ones I bought from the Oxfam for ??2 cos when I'm at home I wanna relax.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Tend to try and listen to 5 - 10 albums I haven't heard before each week. Try to balance old and new but to be honest it's getting harder and harder to find new music I actually like.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i listen to tonnes of new shit... peeps are just too lazy, uniformed, jaded to get hip to new shit allot of the time

i'd say i listen to approx 1/2 new 1/2 old... and my definition of "old" doesnt only mean genius black music recorded between 1967 and 1975 either. By old i mean anything that didnt come out last year.

• I don't listen to much new hip-hop, because the stuff i hear doesn't usually do much for me. For my last job I got to listen to a lot of new jazz releases which i unfortunately don't get to do anymore.

But this thread raises something I've had on my mind this week:

Is it me or has the real vanguard of innovation in African-American music shifted from hip-hop to contemporary gospel music? I realize it can be argued that innovation is present in mainstream hip-hop, but as far as carrying on the long-standing tradition of African-Americans being at the forefront, leading the way, of American music, creating new music which has the longevity to retain its importance for future generations, I hear so much obviously brilliant music coming out of contemporary gospel.

Now i don't mean to dismiss real contributions that some 'hip-hoppers' have made of late, but the new gospel music is like the complete package. Soul for dayz, integrity, innovation, virtuosity, widespread popular appeal.... And i'm not even Christian. Naturally this is a hip-hop + dusty music-based board, contemporary gospel doesn't get its props around here. But heads need to realize that this is perhaps the current musical movement that is artistically prospering, , more than any other right now in our country.

just some thoughts... i'd be interested to hear the reactions of people more connected to the streets!

• I don't listen to much new hip-hop, because the stuff i hear doesn't usually do much for me. For my last job I got to listen to a lot of new jazz releases which i unfortunately don't get to do anymore.

But this thread raises something I've had on my mind this week:

Is it me or has the real vanguard of innovation in African-American music shifted from hip-hop to contemporary gospel music? I realize it can be argued that innovation is present in mainstream hip-hop, but as far as carrying on the long-standing tradition of African-Americans being at the forefront, leading the way, of American music, creating new music which has the longevity to retain its importance for future generations, I hear so much obviously brilliant music coming out of contemporary gospel.

Now i don't mean to dismiss real contributions that some 'hip-hoppers' have made of late, but the new gospel music is like the complete package. Soul for dayz, integrity, innovation, virtuosity, widespread popular appeal.... And i'm not even Christian. Naturally this is a hip-hop + dusty music-based board, contemporary gospel doesn't get its props around here. But heads need to realize that this is perhaps the current musical movement that is artistically prospering, , more than any other right now in our country.

just some thoughts... i'd be interested to hear the reactions of people more connected to the streets!

Interesting. I will say I listen to the Sunday morning gospel shows from time to time, but I don't know much...could you give some examples.

A few months ago I was in a two traffic light town, ******, NC, and there was a second floor gospel recording studio that had a band playing some of the most amazing, heavy music I'd ever heard. Imagine if Sabbath were brothers and singing about Jesus...anyways I went and got a chili dog and a sweet tea and listened to them for about an hour on a bench.

I also went with a coworker to her church to see Marvin someody (can't rememeber) and it was probably the best 'show' I'd seen all year.

• I'd be particularly interested in anyone's opinion on good new jazz releases. I don't know much about current jazz, except for everything I hear (admittedly not much) is awful.

Anyone hearing any good new jazz?

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    I'd be particularly interested in anyone's opinion on good new jazz releases. I don't know much about current jazz, except for everything I hear (admittedly not much) is awful.

Anyone hearing any good new jazz?

check out anything by babatunde lea. bay area percussionist who plays with pharoah sanders on occassion. definitely on the level.

• Interesting. I will say I listen to the Sunday morning gospel shows from time to time, but I don't know much...could you give some examples.

A few months ago I was in a two traffic light town, ******, NC, and there was a second floor gospel recording studio that had a band playing some of the most amazing, heavy music I'd ever heard. Imagine if Sabbath were brothers and singing about Jesus...anyways I went and got a chili dog and a sweet tea and listened to them for about an hour on a bench.

see that's the thing, i don't know much either- as far as artists or CDs to recommend. All i know is i can go to any number of churches within like a 3 mile radius from where i live, and have it be like your story about the NC town. I was somewhere last weekend literally trying to contain tears in my eyes just at how beautiful the music was.
    I understand that Curtis Martin, the famous running back and hometown boy here, makes donations to the church here he grew up in, so that they can maintain a world-class, music program.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I can't stop listening to the new No Neck Blues Band double lp. Shit is