Creative Arts Jazz Ensemble LP on Arhoohlie

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any info on this one, like who plays on it, etc? Are they the same as (or affiliated with) the Creative Arts Ensemble from LA?

Comments

• ...or what's good with the "Arhoolie" label in general??

• ...or what's good with the "Arhoolie" label in general??

Arhoolie put out all kinds of music - traditional jazz, blues, and free/out jazz.

My fave is Luna - "space swell".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, Arhoohlie is a really dope label. Bay area - Oakland, I belive. they put out everything from Zydeco, to really cool street musicians, to great reissues of 20's blues 78's, etc.

• Does anyone have any info on this one, like who plays on it, etc?

I can tell you that sales of this 1969 album were so low that Chris Strachwitz (owner of Arhoolie) stopped putting out jazz albums altogether, even though it received a positive review in Down Beat magazine...

• Yeah, Arhoohlie is a really dope label. Bay area - Oakland, I belive. they put out everything from Zydeco

...including the godfather of the genre, Clifton Chenier.

to really cool street musicians

Bongo Joe! (George Coleman, that is...)

to great reissues of 20's blues 78's, etc.

They're still at it, releasing albums of "sacred steel" music (that is, steel guitarists who play in churches down south, like Aubrey Ghent or the Campbell Brothers). They probably have a website...

• Does anyone have any info on this one, like who plays on it, etc?

I can tell you that sales of this 1969 album were so low that Chris Strachwitz (owner of Arhoolie) stopped putting out jazz albums altogether, even though it received a positive review in Down Beat magazine...
    thanks for the info dudes, but do any of you know if this is the same Creative Arts Ensemble that recorded for Nimbus and Riza?