How often do you make backups?...My Mac is fucked

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
How often do you guys back up your files in your computer? I use to be really good about it when I was doing film and graphic design stuff, I'd back up once a month. Lately I've let things slide and have't done any back ups since the beginnning of summer. This has all come back to haunt me, as now my installer and software update keep "unexpectidly quit." Which indicates a virus? My wonderful girlfriend gave me an ipod for x-mas and when I went to install the software the app just kept quiting on me.This whole quitting apps happened to any other Mac users here? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall everything? If so, should I copy the files I haven't backed in the last few months? Could they be corrupted?Macstrut help is appreciated.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How often do you guys back up your files in your computer? I use to be really good about it when I was doing film and graphic design stuff, I'd back up once a month. Lately I've let things slide and have't done any back ups since the beginnning of summer. This has all come back to haunt me, as now my installer and software update keep "unexpectidly quit." Which indicates a virus?[/b]

Ummm, no it doesn't.

Boot into single user mode then try a fucky (fsck -f), homie. See what that does for ya, then report back.

do not wipe, I repeat, do not wipe.

• thanks dude, I'm at work right now, but will do when I get home

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Have you run the disk utility and repaired permissions recently? If you can start the machine up, do that right away, or ty to start it from the CD and run that way.

Also, go out and buy a utility called Diskwarrior, it might help repair whatever is causing your problems. It's saved my ass more than once.