NY MTA Transit Strike!!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Any NYC heads worried about this supposed strike? The city is gonna really be crippled.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I watched the bloomberg speech on contingency plans, and it's complicated to say the least.....

it'll be hell, plus it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Gonna be fucking HECTIC.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not to make it worse - but are you guys due for the storm that just started up here in Toronto?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    nope they're lucky, it's just us

I have to run to costco to stock up for hibernation.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck it, I'm south of the Mason Dixon tomorrow.

• I might have to walk 4.5 miles to work in the rain tomorrow.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Even regular car traffic is going to be crazy. Ive got a X-mas party tonight.......Better use the subway before
    11:00pm. Its way too brick to walk.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    get your greg lemond skinny tires on.....

• With the rain, car, and crazy foot traffic, I think a bike is out of the question.

• Fuck yeah! My car is in the shop at least till Monday or Tuesday as well.

I will be sleeping in the city tonight, but at some point the god has to go home...

With the rain, car, and crazy foot traffic, I think a bike is out of the question.

Im tryin' to stay home tommorrow, but my boss aint havin' it.

All of sudden my throat/stomach/head feels funny.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    stinky steve in training.....

glade plugins in good records......or better yet nag champa for that blowout comb on the wall.

• I higly doubt there will be a strike. Too much pressure on both the MTA and the Union. Plus they always threaten a strike when contracts come up for discussion and they always resolve it on the last day right after midnight. The last strike was when '89?

I higly doubt there will be a strike. Too much pressure on both the MTA and the Union. Plus they always threaten a strike when contracts come up for discussion and they always resolve it on the last day right after midnight. The last strike was when '89?

I dont remember that 89 threat getting the same media as this one. Mta workers are really gettin' fucked like the teachers.

• yeah, but there was this much media for them the last time the contract was up. The reason for all the media being to put pressure on both sides to come together.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, but there was this much media for them the last time the contract was up. The reason for all the media being to DRIVE RATINGS THROUGH HYPE.

I planned to take tomorrow off weeks ago, so I'm chillingggg in Brooknam tomorrow.

• In Italy when they strike they still work during rush in the AM and PM hour so people can get to their jobs and get home. Its fucks up tourism, but without screwing over the working class folks that don't have cars and can't afford cabs.

• I higly doubt there will be a strike. Too much pressure on both the MTA and the Union. Plus they always threaten a strike when contracts come up for discussion and they always resolve it on the last day right after midnight. The last strike was when '89?

I dont remember that 89 threat getting the same media as this one. Mta workers are really gettin' fucked like the teachers.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy that makes 46 grand base salary plus overtime and has better benefits than me (shit, has benefits period) while leaving folks ass out who make half that?

Fuck them dudes man. Fuck the MTA too, but I'm saying. Theatrics and shit.

• In Italy when they strike they still work during rush in the AM and PM hour so people can get to their jobs and get home. Its fucks up tourism, but without screwing over the working class folks that don't have cars and can't afford cabs.

that makes so much sense, yet would never happen here due to the greedy bastards running this operation.

If there is a strike, i'm staying home and watching the Rambo trilogy.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy that makes 46 grand base salary plus overtime and has better benefits than me (shit, has benefits period) while leaving folks ass out who make half that?

MTA workers start at 46 grand a year?
    who's that? conductors? drivers? bus?

that's nice!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

No, you're supposed to demand the same treatment at your work.

Obviously they are important to the people of New York and therefore their rights and wages shouldn't be trampled on.

They didn't get benefits and a good salary by saying "fuck everyone who has a good job". They united and fought for that shit. Same goes for the shit that you enjoy today, like a 9-5.

I think what they do in Italy is a great way to strike and not paralyse ordinary working people.

• I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy that makes 46 grand base salary plus overtime and has better benefits than me (shit, has benefits period) while leaving folks ass out who make half that?
    No, you're supposed to demand the same treatment at your work.

Obviously they are important to the people of New York and therefore their rights and wages shouldn't be trampled on.

They didn't get benefits and a good salary by saying "fuck everyone who has a good job". They united and fought for that shit. Same goes for the shit that you enjoy today, like a 9-5.

I run my own business, I don't "enjoy" a 9-5. I "enjoy" whatever money I can make through my own means. Vastly prefer it that way, but then I have very little sympathy for someone who drives trains for 46 and better a year, gets paid vacation, full medical and dental benefits, paid sick days, paid overtime, a pension and retirement.

I'm all for uniting and fighting for a good salary. I'm not for uniting and fighting an already-in-debt city service that 90% of the residents here depend on for a salary that is already well above the average starting pay for white collar, let alone blue collar, jobs.

What rights and wages are they being denied that are worth this? If I and others can't get into our jobs tomorrow, lose money, lose hours, lose customers - and MTA employees get more pension, more salary, less supervision - would that be worth fighting for?

I run my own business, I don't "enjoy" a 9-5. I "enjoy" whatever money I can make through my own means. Vastly prefer it that way, but then I have very little sympathy for someone who drives trains for 46 and better a year, gets paid vacation, full medical and dental benefits, paid sick days, paid overtime, a pension and retirement.
    Well, this changes things. When I meant 9-5, I meant the 40 hour work week (which, owning your own business, you probably also don't enjoy).

I'm all for uniting and fighting for a good salary. I'm not for uniting and fighting an already-in-debt city service that 90% of the residents here depend on for a salary that is already well above the average starting pay for white collar, let alone blue collar, jobs.
    It's better to ask the question "why is our city in such debt?" than to work around the debt it is already in. I agree, that a city is struggling and it seems absurd to allow transit workers to strike for wages better than the majority. However, it's much more absurd to allow such a prosperous city (and I believe New York is the single most prosperous city in America, and maybe even the world? Correct me if I'm wrong) to get into debt like this.

What rights and wages are they being denied that are worth this? If I and others can't get into our jobs tomorrow, lose money, lose hours, lose customers - and MTA employees get more pension, more salary, less supervision - would that be worth fighting for?
    It's not about denying those rights. It's about showing the city how important transit workers are.

In the last 20 years, most strikes around the world have not been fought for increasing benefits. They are usually fighting for the status quo (or to keep up with inflation).

Can't say much more because I don't know the specific conditions surrounding the strike (just read a little bit on google news).

Clarification: When I say "prosperous" I mean it's a big center for economic activity.

• Look, the MTA is irresponsible and pays its execs too much and raises fares rather than cut back on bs construction programs and fat cat bonuses.

BUT.

Who gets the short end of the stick? Working people man. People who make far less than your average MTA employee. Them folks are losing work over UNION motherfuckers bickering with CORPORATE motherfuckers. They're all motherfuckers.

Who gets the short end of the stick? Working people man. People who make far less than your average MTA employee. Them folks are losing work over UNION motherfuckers bickering with CORPORATE motherfuckers. They're all motherfuckers.
    Union beaurocracies are problems everywhere. I don't deny this. However, without knowing the specifics of the strike I don't know which is the case.

Everytime there is a strike people say it's just the "union beaurocrats wanting fatter paycheques". While this may be the case sometimes, it's not always the case. Probably more times than not.

As for hurting regular working people, there has already been discussed a method of avoiding this.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Look, the MTA is irresponsible and pays its execs too much and raises fares rather than cut back on bs construction programs and fat cat bonuses.

BUT.

This is misinformed, but I'm sure you're just ranting. Starting salary for them is low and was just made lower in the previous round of negs, same as police and fire. Public services are slowly being dismantled and civil society is gonna look very different in the next 50 years. It's not really a time to bitch about unions, they're your last hope for continuing capitalist democracy, which you kind of need for your business to survive. Me, I don't give a shit, I'm taking up driftwood carving and staying at home.

edit: i was referring to your 46k example

• Look, the MTA is irresponsible and pays its execs too much and raises fares rather than cut back on bs construction programs and fat cat bonuses.

BUT.

This is misinformed, but I'm sure you're just ranting. Starting salary for them is low and was just made lower in the previous round of negs, same as police and fire.

OK, then what is their starting salary? Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe it is in the 40s, starting salary for police and fire is like 18k a year.

• any body got a line on a cheap bicycle?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Look, the MTA is irresponsible and pays its execs too much and raises fares rather than cut back on bs construction programs and fat cat bonuses.

BUT.

This is misinformed, but I'm sure you're just ranting. Starting salary for them is low and was just made lower in the previous round of negs, same as police and fire.

OK, then what is their starting salary? Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe it is in the 40s, starting salary for police and fire is like 18k a year.

Low 20s I think. The main problem with the unions is they have been making shady deals in exchange for sweeter pension plans which only the older members will be able to get. 20-30 years from now it'll all be gone, and the younger members, ie the ones that are actually on the trains and in the ticket booths are getting the shaft.