The Great Silence (NRR, the film)

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Seriously, this is an incredible film. If you're at all into Leone etc, you should check it out.The end scene is beyond

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Seriously, this is an incredible film. If you're at all into Leone etc, you should check it out.

The end scene is beyond

"Il Grande silenzio" Directed by the great Sergio Corbucci. Jean-Louis Trintignant & Klaus Kinski. INCREDIBLE Italian western. Shot in the snow! One of the best films of the entire genre. I've got this on DVD and I still have it on laserdisc that I got in Japan in the early 90s. The laserdisc artwork is sick, it has all the Japanese posters and artwork on it. I'll post a picture later today. I am very deep into Italian westerns and this is by far one of the best. DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS MOVIE!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Seriously, this is an incredible film. If you're at all into Leone etc, you should check it out.

The end scene is beyond

"Il Grande silenzio" Directed by the great Sergio Corbucci. Jean-Louis Trintignant & Klaus Kinski. INCREDIBLE Italian western. Shot in the snow! One of the best films of the entire genre. I've got this on DVD and I still have it on laserdisc that I got in Japan in the early 90s. The laserdisc artwork is sick, it has all the Japanese posters and artwork on it. I'll post a picture later today. I am very deep into Italian westerns and this is by far one of the best. DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS MOVIE!

Jean-Louis Trintignant is probably one of the best actors of his generation - from starring next to Bardot to a measured performance in Kieslowski's 'Rouge,' he's usually on point - recommend him in Zurlini's much underseen 'Desert of the Tartars' (based on the Dino Buzzati novel)...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Seriously, one of my favorite flicks.

The alternate ending that they shot for South American and African markets is great, but in a more campy way then the beautiful OG ending.

ll see your Il Grande SIlenzio and raise you one

One of the most gangster ass Yakuza flicks ever.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    nde SIlenzio and raise you one

One of the most gangster ass Yakuza flicks ever.

All of Fukasaku's Yakuza output during the '70s is well worth looking into as well (Suzuki did some great work w/ small budgets) - although his rep outside of Japan really hinges on the (somewhat camp classic) 'Black Lizard' and the end-of-career 'Battle Royale,' I'd vouch for 'Wolves, Pigs & Men' from '64 as well...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Fukasaku's Yakuza output

I need to rewatch this:

When I saw it I thought it was kind of hard to follow - whether this was due to the direction or to the fact that i watched them all while tipsy and on the verge of sleep, i dont know.... Ill give them a second chance.

SIDENOTE

just watched "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" . Its part of the "Vengeance Trilogy" by Park Chan Wook, which includes the phenomonal Oldboy.

This SFMV flick is INSANE. Its not as well acted or shot as Oldboy (and the story isnt as novel), but it has some of the most brutal images ive ever seen. The toture scenes and violence easily outdo Oldboys teethpulling.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

SIDENOTE

just watched "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" . Its part of the "Vengeance Trilogy" by Park Chan Wook, which includes the phenomonal Oldboy.

This SFMV flick is INSANE. Its not as well acted or shot as Oldboy (and the story isnt as novel), but it has some of the most brutal images ive ever seen. The toture scenes and violence easily outdo Oldboys teethpulling.

South Korean cinema is where it's @ -

For those interested Japan-oriented cinephiles, there's currently a touring retrospective of Mikio Naruse's output (throughout North America) - usually considered just right behind Ozu, Mizoguchi, and Kurosawa, he hits a lot of pedestrian notes, but some of his best stuff really does compare favorably w/ Ozu and Mizoguchi... FYI...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

The end scene is beyond

This looks great! Of course, there can be no discussion of Italian Westerns without mentioning

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

The end scene is beyond

Whoops...the first post was by me, not cardova. I didn't realize he was still logged in when I posted this.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

The end scene is beyond

This looks great! Of course, there can be no discussion of Italian Westerns without mentioning

This is the one Django to check out:

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Unfortunatly Park's ass let me down with Lady Vegeance. I saw that shit at the TIFF and it didn't move me like I expected. Miss Bassie saw it also, not sure where she stands on it. Korea as a whole has let me down this year now that I think about it. Here are the Korean Films I've seen in 2005. Only one or two of these made my top 10 for 2005;

GIT, SFLV, Crying Fist, Marathon, My Brother, Blood Rain, Some, Jenny and Juno, The Wig, The Voice, Another Public Enemy, President's Last Bang, Cello, Red Eye, Mapado, Bittersweet Life, HWAL, Antarctic Journal, Agressives, Tale of Cinema, Green Chair, Heaven's Soldiers

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

The end scene is beyond

Marc Porel actually commited suicide by accident via an overdose. There's some usless trivia for you lol

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    President's Last Bang

Im so hyped to see that. The trailer had some really dope overhead tracking shots on some Taxi-Driver-Finale shit. Is it a good flick?

Hopefully it will make it to the Laemmle.