Raer OST where the film is actually good

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I was bored at work and browsing IMDB when I decided to look up the Lialeh description. I was very surprised to read the review that is on there, which made me actually want to see the movie. Then I started thinking "which of these rare OST's are accompanied by movies which are actually good?". I know there are lots of gainsbourg movies which are supposed to be good, I've seen and really enjoyed fantastic planet, and someone was recently saying that the Trafic movie is not that bad. But there must be more (I'm also not an OST expert).Here is the Lialeh user review from imdb.com:
Lialeh is a well made cheap adult film that recently got a major hype due to the soundtrack done by Bernard Purdie. It was legit released by Arrow videos with a mention it is THE BLACK DEEPTHROAT (since Arrow released DEEP THROAT on video), but the film has nothing to do with deepthroat nor even shares the plotline. The film stands on it's own, with multiple locations which was uncommon in early 70's adult films. It was also uncommon to have a film mostly black cast for a adult film in that era. The film director Barron Borcovichy does a wonderful job making this cheap film look professional, especially the soundtrack[/b]. He must have been happy to get Mr. Purdie to sing for he shows it twice in the film. (too bad his lipsic don't match). Muscial number "pink on the inside" is creative and excellent. great subplot involving a priest, and a loser who tells Lialeh he was in love with a girl who was a guy! You watch this film, you don't get those lame saturday night raincoat film you get in the 73, you get something more[/b]. It's a pure 70's film, not a 90's/2000 video film that has zero plot so video rental people can fastforward to the sex scene. Barron knows how to keep the gap between the sex scene with creative plotlines to entertain the audience at the theatres. It's a shame filmmaking of a adult film died in video era.In fact, in the 80's my old video store had 2 vhs and 1 beta of this film and I had customers who rented it many times[/b]. I even use mention of this film on several scripts I wrote (never got made (: ). I try to buy the soundtrack many times but the terms "blackplotation" was used so the price was way too high. There is nothing explotation on black people lialeh, it doesn't have evil white people[/b] ( ) that is required for these "blackplotation" films. I think many people who knows about this film now days is misguided thinking it's something it is not. Lialeh is a entertaining movie, watchable from start to finish and a standout film on it's own. even the shocking ending will even make you laugh at the end. It's too bad the cast or the director never did anything, but it was the 70's so people disappear back then. maybe under another name?
I was also thinking of compiling a bunch of these (if there are more recommendations in this thread) and making a proposal to the local cinemateque to have a feature of a bunch of these films (I always thought it would be nice to actually see the films that accompany some of these talked about OST's).

Comments

• To the best of my knowledge, and I would love it if someone could help me here, although it is mentioned on the poster for the film, there is no such thing as a soundtrack album for the very obscure and forgotten Easy Rider type counterculture movie The Ski Bum, which is a pity, since Joe Byrd of The United States of America did the soundtrack. And this movie fucking rules if you're a disillusioned stoner. Highest recommendation, check this movie out. And no it's not on DVD; you'll have to dig for it, but it's well worth it.

• Klute is a good movie.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Klute is a good movie.

Black Caesar
    Coffy
    Foxy Brown
    Black Belt Jones
    I know there's more non-blaxploit, just can't think of any off the top.

• Three Days Of The Condor

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    elevator to the gallows
    sweet smell of success
    zabriskie point
    the jodorowsky films

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    serpico
    taking of pelham 1,2,3
    suspiria

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    black orpheus

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Holy crap! Blaz hath returned! ...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Milano Calibre 9. Not stupid rare, but $50 or so

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    elevator to the gallows

Yes. This is an amazing film. One of my all-time favorites.

I'm thinking of Popol Vuh's stuff for Herzog's films too. Were official scores even released for any of them, though?

• elevator to the gallows

Yes. This is an amazing film. One of my all-time favorites.

I'm thinking of Popol Vuh's stuff for Herzog's films too. Were official scores even released for any of them, though?

Yup. At least Aguirre and Heart of Glass anyway.

• not exactly raer soundtracks, but very entertaining movies

truck turner
    enter the dragon

• I try to buy the soundtrack many times but the terms "blackplotation" was used so the price was way too high.

Check my next auction for many private/blackplotation/moderosul raers

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wassup Rockers - I've been checking for this ever since we saw it in September - but chances are nothing will happen until it gets distribution. I hope someone picks it up and a soundtrack gets released - great great hardcore.

If anyone hears of/sees one - please let me know.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The thing with blaxpoitation films is that although most of them are good (or at least fun to watch) their prints are usually dififcult to get a hold of and most of the time in terrible condition.

• moderosul raers

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i saw roma a mano armata the other day, amazing movie. soundtrack by franco micalizzi thats maybe issued on a cam library somewhere, probably very raer. i believe its the followup to the movie with micalizzis violence score, since its based on somewhat the same theme. a little bit more moogs this time around tho since its from 1976. recommended movie!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i gotta recommend psychomania aswell, trunk records reissued the soundtrack which i believe was lifted directly from the movie? the dialouge is truly amazing in the movie, its the kind of stuff tarantino wishes he could make. very entertaining and the music is really amazing throughout the entire movie. someone hook me up with that frog 7", i'd pay!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of the french film "You Only Love Once?"

• YEESSSSSSS!!!

NOT RAER ENOUG!#!@!#@!

Just kidding. What is that movie like? I ask because looking at the credits it seems that Gilder Texter plays a "Nude Motorcycle Rider" and the poster is real nice.

• NOT RAER ENOUG!#!@!#@!

Just kidding. What is that movie like? I ask because looking at the credits it seems that Gilder Texter plays a "Nude Motorcycle Rider" and the poster is real nice.

Great early 70's "road film" about a car courier hopped up on speed trying to outrun the cops while attempting to move a car from Colorado to San Francisco in an unbelievably short amount of time. The whole time his journey is being followed by a blind black DJ anmes Super Soul (played by Cleavon Little). There's apparently an uncut version out there somewhere with a bunch more stuff in it.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

the soundtrack was never released untill a few years ago, killer funk/psych stuff.

• since no one said it yet, fantastic planet. one of my favorite movies of all time, been hooked on it since i saw it at age 6.

I've seen and really enjoyed fantastic planet

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    fantastic planet. one of my favorite movies of all time
    big co-sign!!! two posts too late!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    black orpheus

I love this film to death (and Marpessa Dawn is one of the most naturally beautiful actresses in the history of the cinema), but this OST is pretty easy to find.

fantastic planet

I got this on VHS for $1 at the thrift this weekend. Just like the Black Orpheus LP several years ago. The movie (F. Planet) is interesting, and worth seeing once, but would be leagues better if the viewer was either young or dead stoned.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    fantastic planet

I got this on VHS for $1 at the thrift this weekend. Just like the Black Orpheus LP several years ago. The movie is interesting, and worth seeing once, but would be leagues better if the viewer was either young or dead stoned.

i dont know if you were talking about fantastic planet, but the first time i saw that movie, i think i was 6 or 7...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    fantastic planet

I got this on VHS for $1 at the thrift this weekend. Just like the Black Orpheus LP several years ago. The movie is interesting, and worth seeing once, but would be leagues better if the viewer was either young or dead stoned.

i dont know if you were talking about fantastic planet, but the first time i saw that movie, i think i was 6 or 7...

I'd only seen it a year ago and I like it enough to pick it up, but I know I'm not getting the, uh, "full effect."