Freestyle Music

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited December 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
Not freestlye rap, I'm talking about 80s and 90s Freestyle music like Shannon "Let the Music Play." You know, corny pop-electro NY & Miami shit. Cosmo and I were asked to do a party a few months ago playing freestyle, and now I've been asked to write a little article about my favorite freestyle records, and I am the first to admit I don't go that deep with it. Here is the stuff I play when I play freestyle:Freez - I.O.U.Johnny O - Fantasy GirlConnie - Funky Little BeatDebbie Deb - When I Hear Music / Lookout WeekendLisa Lisa and the Cult Jam - I Wonder if I Take You Home / Can You Feel The BeatShannon - Let the Music Play / Give Me TonightStevie B - Party Your BodyExpose - Come Go With Me / Point of No Return (Exposure LP)Brenda K Starr - What Goes On / What You See is What You Get / Picking Up PiecesTrinere - I'll Be All You Ever NeedThe Cover Girls - Show Me / Because of You / (Show Me LP)TKA - Maria / Scars of Love / Tears May Fall / Come Get My Love (Scars of Love LP)Noel - Silent Morning (Noel LP)Tina B - Honey to a BeeIndia - Right From the StartWhat is the hot freestyle shit I need to get up on? Knowledge me!!!

Comments

• stacey q - 2 of hearts
    trinere - theyre playing our song
    dino - summer girls
    young & restless - b girls

• stacey q - 2 of hearts

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

young & restless - b girls

i always thought of that as miami bass. do yall think Strafe "Set it Off" is freestyle? I don't, but I can't really figure out why.

• yeah, youre prolly right. but for a shitty dj like myself, you can mix in and out of them things with ease.

• ooo - ooh "Diamond Girl".....(yes, yes...)

• young & restless - b girls

i always thought of that as miami bass. do yall think Strafe "Set it Off" is freestyle? I don't, but I can't really figure out why.

definitely, even if it wasn't intended to be. Staple of freestyle sets.

• Point of No Return use to kill it at the jr. high dances!

Frida---I Know There's Something Going On

• Dudes...SWEET SENSATION - HOOKED ON YOU.

Paging DJ Stef, already.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    C-Bank - One More Shot
    C-Bank - Get Wet
    Carmen - You & Me
    Cover Girls - Show Me
    Cover Girls - Because Of You
    Cynthia - Thief Of Heart
    Debbie Deb - When I Hear Music
    Expos - Come Go With Me
    Expos - Point of No Return
    Freeez - IOU
    Freestyle - Don't Stop The Rock
    Information Society - Running
    Jellybean - The Mexican
    Johnny O - Fantasy Girl
    Leather & Lace - Tender Heart
    Leather & Lace - Let Your Body Go
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - Can You Feel The Beat
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - I Wonder If I Take You Home
    Nayobe - Please Don't Go
    Nice & Wild - Diamond Girl
    Nocera - Summertime, Summertime
    Nolan Thomas - Yo, Little Brother
    Planet Patrol - Play At Your Own Risk
    Shannon - Give Me Tonight
    Shannon - Let The Music Play
    Tina B - Honey To A Bee
    TKA - Scars of Love 1990s
    Angelina - Release Me
    Collage - I'll Be Loving You
    Collage - Diana
    Coro - Stand By Your Lover
    Clear Touch - Cherish
    Cynthia - If I Had The Chance
    Cynthia - How I Love Him
    George Lamond - Bad of the Heart
    George Lamond - Distant Heart
    George Lamond - Look Into My Eyes
    Intonation - Free My Love
    Jocelyn Enriquez - I've Been Thinking About You
    Jocelyn Enriquez - Do You Miss Me
    Lil' Suzy - Promise Me
    Lil' Suzy - Take Me In Your Arms
    Lina Santiago - Feel So Good
    Joei Mae - He's My Baby
    Lisette Melendez - Time Passes By
    Lisette Melendez - Together Forever
    Manuella - Don't Try To Come Back
    Natalie - I Want Your Love
    Nina Bena - Sweetheart
    Planet Soul - Set You Free
    Rochelle - Praying For An Angel
    Rockell - In A Dream
    Rockell & Collage - Can't We Try
    Samantha - Be Sure
    Two In A Room - El Trago
    Two In A Room - Ahora

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Freez - I.O.U.

yeah, you're the man.

Time to Move

some Detroit ish (LIGHTES THE DANCEFLOOR UP!!!!)

• Carmen - "Time To Move" Some Detroit ish (LIGHTES THE DANCEFLOOR UP!!!!)

Josh, I remember walking into Street Corner 5 minutes after you found this sealed and I'm sure Aaron hooked you up big time. I didn't show it at the time but I was wearing one of these when I left the store -

Currently on Gemm for $43

• I'll try and post an old freestyle mix I did later on tonight.

One of my first pro gigs was being Suave's tour DJ.
    Not the "Rico Suave" guy mind you, just "Suave".
    He was local and got signed to Mic Mac/Metropolitan which was one of the bigger freestyle labels.
    His big hit was "Crying Over You". We toured a lot with Johnny O & Cynthia.
    I learned to hate the music pretty quickly. Today I still hate it yet I love it too. It's weird.

a few other tunes of note...

Judy Torres / "Come Into My Arms"
    Monet / "My Heart Gets All The Breaks"
    Nocera / "Summertime Summertime"
    Bass Noir / "My Love Is Magic"
    Sybil / "Let Yourself Go"
    Kreamcicle / "No News"
    Joyce Simms / "Lifetime Love", "Come Into My Life"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Nice & Wild - Diamond Girl

That's my jam!

One of the few redeeming things about the guido techno station that my girl likes to listen to is the Freestyle show hosted by Judy Torres.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    One of my first pro gigs was being Suave's tour DJ.
    Not the "Rico Suave" guy mind you, just "Suave".
    He was local and got signed to Mic Mac/Metropolitan which was one of the bigger freestyle labels.
    His big hit was "Crying Over You". We toured a lot with Johnny O & Cynthia.
    I learned to hate the music pretty quickly. Today I still hate it yet I love it too. It's weird.

WOW

Cynthia

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Attached files

• stacey q - 2 of hearts

no doubt, definitely a "shouldnt be a secret weapon, but in some stupid way it totally is" thing....every time I would play that at a gig and those I-I-I-I's come in people don't know what to do with themselves.....kinda just stand there slackjawed for a second, but then usually eat it up. (DRUNK CROWDPLAESER)

• This is one of Mangoman's favorites.....

• This is one of Mangoman's favorites.....

that sleeve/label is nuts. that kinda graphically sums up freestyle right there.

• oh snap! where's TA and tino TCB or whoever tongan care of business. and where is STEF!!!

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Hi, here I am. I'm at work, not at home to go through the records, but...

The C-Bank ULTIMATE jam is "I Won't Stop Loving You." God, I love that song.

Debbie Gibson - "Only In My Dreams" (Don't laugh.)
    Expos?? - "Exposed to Love"
    Janice - "Bye Bye"
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - "Head to Toe"
    Nayobe - "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"
    Noel - "Silent Morning"
    Nuance - "Take a Chance"
    Pretty Poison - "Catch Me I'm Falling"
    Stevie B - "Spring Love"
    Taylor Dayne - "Tell It to My Heart"
    TKA - "One Way Love"
    Will to Power - "Dreamin'"

Every Trinere 12-inch is good. Don't sleep on Jody Watley ("Don't You Want Me").

Some other artists to look for: Sa-Fire, Tolga, Corina ("Out of Control"), Pamela Fernandez (these four all on Cutting Records), April (out of San Jose, might be hard to find), Cyr??, Maribell (Criminal Records, bilingual!).

I'll post more tonight, along with a mix, and maybe along with a pic of me in the 80s with lots of mousse, a petticoat and Zodiac boots.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    When the Jets were on Soul Train, Don Cornelius was going around asking all their ages. When one of the girls said, "12," he said, "That's a big 12."

• Debbie Gibson - "Only In My Dreams" (Don't laugh.)

I'm not laughing.
    I remember seeing Louie Vega at 1018 cutting doubles.
    He kept catching and bringing back the breakdown part. Bugged for sure but kinda fresh in a strange way.

There was this other record all those DJs used to play in the clubs all the time back then and I never could find it.
    It was some mix with the Jackson 5 "I Want You Back" and the drums from "You'll Like It Too".
    Does anyone know this???

• Options
    Debbie Gibson - "Only In My Dreams" (Don't laugh.)

My sister graduated high school with her. A few years later my sister and her friend were in a record store ("The Wall" I think) and saw a contest entry box to win tickets and backstage passes to a Debbie Gibson concert at Nassau Coleseum...they entered as a joke and won of course. Go backstage, and Debbie's like "uhhh, what are you guys doing here?". Probably had to be there.

One of the few redeeming things about the guido techno station that my girl likes to listen to is the Freestyle show hosted by Judy Torres.

A few years ago I was in a local shop that caters to club and party djs (Music Trendz) and saw a poster advertising a Judy Torres in-store but thought nothing of it. I noticed that there were a few extra people than normal in that shop (meaning maybe 4 or 5 people) and they were waiting for something...then I realized the in-store was that day, and started in about 5 minutes. 15 miutes later as I'm paying she gets out of a car, all done up smelling real good, and strolls into her waiting audience of 5 kids. She was TALL too, I never heard of her before that day and thought maybe she was a player from the WNBA.

Long Island was BANANAS for freestyle, and still is in some cases. That shit really took root here. I can dig it I guess, it reminds me of 8th grade.

Who did the song "Yo No Se"? That was HUUUGE.

Paul, when you djed for Suave did you play the Long Island show at Spit or Zachary's? My sister was probably there.

• I'll post more tonight, along with a mix, and maybe along with a pic of me in the 80s with lots of mousse, a petticoat and Zodiac boots.

oh man this is going to be so awesome!!! i remember there were girls at my high school who's bangs wouldnt fit in the yearbook picture. this is what i am anticipating!!! id show you pictures of me being all cool but unfortunately no such thing exists.

• great list->

Don't sleep on Jody Watley ("Don't You Want Me").

no doubt. lots of JW tracks that people loves to hear. I'm waiting for late-80's remix albums to come back strong....

^^^^ok, not freestyle, but whatever. the Roni remix, at the right time, works wonders. but then again, drunk crowds will eat anything up.

• When the Jets were on Soul Train, Don Cornelius was going around asking all their ages. When one of the girls said, "12," he said, "That's a big 12."

• Paul, when you djed for Suave did you play the Long Island show at Spit or Zachary's? My sister was probably there.

It's funny that you mention Long Island cause that's definitely where he did the bulk of his shows. Long Island and Jersey. Ugh.
    I really don't remember the names of too many clubs, besides the ones in Manhattan & Westchester.
    Sometimes we'd do up to 5 or 6 shows in a night, driving from one club to another in the tri-state area.
    It's funny cause we'd see the same performers at different clubs. "Oh, Coro. You again?"
    It was a pretty thriving circuit for awhile.
    I spoke to Jeff (Suave) a few years back and he was still doing it! Flying out to do shows in Chicago and shit.
    Here I was thinking that whole scene was completely dead. But I guess not.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    i remember there were girls at my high school who's bangs wouldnt fit in the yearbook picture. this is what i am anticipating!!!

My bangs never got THAT big but WHY did I get a perm when my hair is already curly??

(Requesting "Overdoing It" graemlin.)

• i remember there were girls at my high school who's bangs wouldnt fit in the yearbook picture. this is what i am anticipating!!!

My bangs never got THAT big but WHY did I get a perm when my hair is already curly??

(Requesting "Overdoing It" graemlin.)
    [/b]

here you go

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    How could I forget "I'm Searchin'" by Debbie Deb?

OK here's the mix: When I Hear Freestyle

Tracklist:

"Let's Go" - Nocera

"Summertime, Summertime" - Nocera

"Summergirls" - Dino

"Funky Little Beat" - Connie

"They're Playing Our Song" - Trinere

"Silent Morning" - Noel

"Don't You Want Me" - Jody Watley

"Last Chance" - Cyr??

"Show Me" - Cover Girls

"Dreamin' of Love" - Stevie B

"Out of Control" - Corina

"Come Go With Me" - Expos??

"Roses Are Red" - Maribell

"One Way Love" - TKA

"Searchin'" - Debbie Deb

"Leave It All Behind" - Tolga

"When I Hear Music" - Debbie Deb

"Dreamin'" - Will to Power

"Come Go With Me" - Expos??

"Let the Music Play" - Shannon

I made this mix for Spinner.com when Anna worked there. So thanks, Anna!

And you can't see the petticoat skirt, but...

This was when I went to see Mantronix at City Nights. Soul Disco Records had a showcase every Thursday and I always went. I saw Nocera, Cyr??, Sweet Sensation, Expos??, Will to Power, Debbie Gibson, TKA, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Rodney O & Joe Cooley... to name a few. Ask me about choreography! I still remember some of the dance moves.

Enjoy!