Just Blaze Chairman Mao @ APT - NYC **Sat, 5/7**

maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
edited April 2005 in Announcements
Tri-State Soulstrutters,Joining me at my APT residency on Saturday, May 7th, 2005 is the inimitable Just Blaze. Though renowned for crafting radio hits with the likes of Jay-Z & Roc-A-Fella Records, Usher, Fabolous, Fat Joe etc. Just is a confessed rap traditionalist and champion of underground sounds at heart (hell, he even did a beat for Medaphoar's new album on Stones Throw). He's also pretty cotdanged talented on the 1s and 2s; expect a set of classic & lost classic hip hop & other treats. Once again, the vital stats:Saturday, May 7th, 2005Chairman Mao w/ special guest: JUST BLAZEAPT, 419 West 13th St. (b/t 9th Ave. & Washington)10pm - 4am$5 @ the doorwww.aptwebsite.comFriends & cheapskates (& er'body else) feel free to PM me if you want on the list. Peace, Mao

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    GODMOTHERFUCKINGDAM! Dude you gotta give us west coast rap dudes/fanboys a thoroguh re-cap and set lists.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    bump. happening this weekend. thnx!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damn J, no knocking your hustle. Hot shit - tape the set!

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Wow! I feel like there is no real chance of me coming up to this, but that would be so neat

• Damn, sounds like fire. Damn mothers! Damn Mother's Day! Damn going out of town! Give me Just Blaze over Kanye any day.

Damn, sounds like fire. Damn mothers! Damn Mother's Day! Damn going out of town!

I'll play the Large Pro rmx of Roxanne Shante's "Big Momma" at the stroke of midnight in memory of those who can't attend.
    Hope all's well w/ you, Mike.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Damn, sounds like fire. Damn mothers! Damn Mother's Day! Damn going out of town! Give me Just Blaze over Kanye any day.

Hmmph, that's too bad, Mike...We'll just have to tell you all about it next time we see you!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

tape the set!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    tape the set!

i'd tape.

tape the set!

i'd tape.

You and the lady can actually roll through, you know.

tape the set!

i'd tape.

we usually ask the guests if they want us to tape the set. sometimes they say yes, sometimes they don't.
    still taking names for the list, btw. so don't be shy.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    so....how did everything turn out on Saturday?

inquiring minds (who would have driven to NYC to see the gig had they not been on the grind dogsitting for their neighbors) would like to know.

It was fun! Check for me in XXL's Eye Candy in about three months!

Oh, were you asking about the gig?

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Oh, were you asking about the gig?

so that was the subject of conversation you, faux & YN were having...

the recap: blaze did his thing, tested out his final scratch & rocked vinyl as well. his first song was x-clan 'verbal milk' and he kept things moving from there w/ a good blend of eclectic vintage stuff - tragedy 'arrest the president', chuck chillout & kool chip - 'i'm large', legion - 'legion groove' etc. - & classic party material. the hardcore heads in the crowd were in heaven, the neophytes off the street were probably lost - but fuck em. q-tip rolled through for a minute. all told just rocked from about 1 - 3am, then was off to the studio for a session. very laid back, cool dude. had fun - had fun, had-had-had fuuuuuuuunnnnnnn...

I was just kidding about being "put on," but I did actually complain about how the quality of the column is deteriorating. I mean, you got the KINGS and the DON DIVAS of the world to compete with, you know what I'm saying? I also learned that the title of the magazine is X-X-L, not "Double X-L" like we'd been saying it (apparently we were saying it the "black" way ).

I had no idea about the Final Scratch thing until your boy DT mentioned it: "Was Just Blaze rocking a laptop or what?"

I was just kidding about being "put on," but I did actually complain about how the quality of the column is deteriorating. I mean, you got the KINGS and the DON DIVAS of the world to compete with, you know what I'm saying? I also learned that the title of the magazine is X-X-L, not "Double X-L" like we'd been saying it (apparently we were saying it the "black" way ).

But are you ready for "Fuego", the latin "King"? (Guess they couldn't call it "Latin King".)

But are you ready for "Fuego", the latin "King"? (Guess they couldn't call it "Latin King".)

Wow, "fuego" means "Latin King" and "fire???"

I advised YN to get up on the Latina hottie tip...The readers already complain (on a subconsciously self-hating tip) when the girls look "too black."

I'm so focussed for that magazine

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    The Summer of Young Phonics??? just got hotter.