MOONDOG

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk

discuss.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The very definition of original music. An extraordinary life and the best clothes of any musician living or dead.

"I would tell people I was born in Sasnak .... and when they would ask where it was, I would reply that it was a mysterious place. I left it for them to work out it was Kansas in reverse."

Funny, too.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I really don't like his music. I listened to his records. Not that interesting. I like that tune that The Wiseguys sampled though. Nice piano line. Otherwise,

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    It's mostly very strange, avant garde impressionistic music and not an easy listen but there are passages of sublime beauty. If you're scanning Moondog for breaks and samples you've possibly missed the point. You should probably be listening to Jimmy McGriff's Spear For Moondog instead from Electric Funk.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    pfffffffffffffffff! I was just saying that I like the tune with that piano hook. That song is a more straight forward attempt by Moondog.
    I listened to his records. Most of his stuff is dull and boring. I'm no producer, so I don't look for breaks.

There are good passages, no doubt. I need good songs throughout though.

• I really don't like his music. I only listend to one of his records.
    to strange for me

• I really don't like his music. I only listend to one of his records.
    to strange for me

strange? his music isn't really that strange though. it's actually quite structured, and even somewhat traditional.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I really don't like his music. I only listend to one of his records.

to strange for me

strange? his music isn't really that strange though. it's actually quite structured, and even somewhat traditional.

true. Moondog is DOPE! but, if you think he's "strange", then you have not heard strange music.

• this is the only moondog record I have...it is a

this is the only moondog record I have...it is a

dude! I've never even seen that?!?!

• London's Honest John's records just released an excellent (and the first) comprehensive Moondog anthology, compling stuff recorded between 1949 and 1995(!)

Tracklist:

1. Theme And Variations
    2. Down Is Up
    3. Bumbo
    4. Big Cat
    5. Oo Debut
    6. Lament 1 'Bird's Lament'
    7. Moondog's Symphony 1
    8. Moondog's Symphony 2
    9. Rabbit Hop
    10. Rimshot
    11. Snaketime Rhythm
    12. Instrumental Round
    13. Double Bass Duo
    14. Why Spend The Dark Night With You?
    15. All Is Loneliness
    16. Snaketime Rhythm
    17. Dragon's Teeth
    18. Oboe Round

19. Be A Hobo
    20. Dog Trot
    21. Oasis
    22. Avenue Of The Americas
    23. 2 W 46th Street
    24. Lullaby
    25. Fog On The Hudson
    26. Utsu
    27. On And Off The Beat
    28. Chant
    29. From One To Nine
    30. Improvisation In 4/4
    31. Enough About Human Rights!
    32. Viking
    33. Rimshot
    34. Chaconne In G Major
    35. Oasis
    36. Invocation

• I have a CD of his at home where he's sitting down by the docks, playing along with steamship horns and bells...

I have a 45 with like 6 songs on it from that album. It is indeed amazing. I am a big fan of his work

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Hey, I wrote you guys a haiku:

Moondog is the shit.
    There is no debating it.
    End of discussion.

• I have a CD of his at home where he's sitting down by the docks, playing along with steamship horns and bells...

holy shit that sounds awesome. what cd is this?

moondog is great. a precursor to phillip glass, but in a much rawer form, and more dramatic. i love it.

and yeah, if you're saying moondog is strange, you haven't heard strange.

holy shit that sounds awesome. what cd is this?

moondog is great. a precursor to phillip glass, but in a much rawer form, and more dramatic. i love it.

and yeah, if you're saying moondog is strange, you haven't heard strange.

The tune is called: "Duet: Queen Elizabeth Whistle And Bamboo Pipe "

• lol, maybe was strange the wrong word for it, the only lp that i heard was this one:

and imo, it was realy not so dope as some describe his stuff, maybe i picked up the wrong lp. dunno. as far as i remember, every track had atleast a twin with the same rhythm on the album. yep, it was boring and it was over 4 years ago that i heard it the last time.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I couldn't really get into the records I have heard

• lol, maybe was strange the wrong word for it, the only lp that i heard was this one:

and imo, it was realy not so dope as some describe his stuff, maybe i picked up the wrong lp. dunno. as far as i remember, every track had atleast a twin with the same rhythm on the album. yep, it was boring and it was over 4 years ago that i heard it the last time.

different strokes, i guess. that's the only lp i have of his and i find it to be awesome. the little talking interludes are cool too.

• different strokes, i guess.

• and imo, it was realy not so dope as some describe his stuff, maybe i picked up the wrong lp[/b].

• I have this. Never really got into it. Anybody wanna buy/trade for it? Is that allowed here?

This is a 10" from 54!!!

This is a 10" from 54!!!

Did Columbia reissue this on one of their Moondog albums?

• I have this. Never really got into it. Anybody wanna buy/trade for it? Is that allowed here?

BTW, ???

I have this. Never really got into it. Anybody wanna buy/trade for it? Is that allowed here?

BTW, ???

10-20 bucks

• Did Columbia reissue this on one of their Moondog albums?

Honest Jon's recently reissued it on 10" vinyl.

• Did Columbia reissue this on one of their Moondog albums?

Honest Jon's recently reissued it on 10" vinyl.

But did Columbia reissue this on one of their Moondog albums?

I ask because Epic was a Columbia subsidiary, and since there was a gap of over a decade between the 10" Epic album and the two Columbia elpees, they could have just recycled the old Epic record in a new format.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm hoping this sees the light of day: