EVER BUY A REISSUE BY ACCIDENT?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
Man... hate that shit. Happened to me a couple of times. Most notably Ronnie Foster - Mystic Brew. Fuck.

Comments

• yeah...Everyday People LP...brown cardboard, I knew 7 bucks was too good to be true, oh well.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    some of those 70's joints printed on the white stock can be really hard to tell. I know this came up recently with POZ.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    What's a reissue?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i got snagged on a skull snaps reissue. It was with many many funk records from the 70's and it was mildewy and shit. I just grabbed in in the stack and made for teh counter.. got home and realized the errors of my haste.

• Electric Prunes -- release of an Oath

In the groove merchant of all places.

Sub question:
    ever buy a re-ish, not knowing its one at the store, take it home and find out, then pass it off to yourself as an og?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    There is a Lee Moses reish that had me excited for a sec. Paste on cover and thick heavy cardboard.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    There is a Lee Moses reish...Paste on cover and thick heavy cardboard.

That's just mean.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    FAT Funky & Tough reish is a dead ringer.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There is a Lee Moses reish that had me excited for a sec. Paste on cover and thick heavy cardboard.

Honestly? I would like to buy this re-ish...is it around? I've all but given up on finding an OG of this "in the field" anytime before my Social Security kicks in...did you buy it? If so, did it have good sound quality?

I have been folled by reishes, but only on cheaper LP's, not too many holy grails (except for that damn deceptive Lee Fields I bought that became a two-page "OG check" thread!), just dumb shit like "Soul of the Bible" where I was all hasty and didn't even check because of the store/price. The worst is when you think "Oh, this can't be a reissue" because it's priced so high - only to find out it is! Definition of "not a good look."

• Bought a reissue of "Boxcar Sessions" by Saafir; didn't realize it was a repress until I was trying to sell it on eBay and somebody who wanted to bid on it mailed me asking if it was an original. Did a little research and found out it was a repress. That was a waste of $18; I only bought it because I thought it was original and I knew I could flip it for quite a bit more on eBay. Now, not only is it a repress but it sustained water damage when my basement flooded a year and a half ago so it's completely useless to me.

• it's actually a good record too

fool

The worst is when you think "Oh, this can't be a reissue" because it's priced so high - only to find out it is! Definition of "not a good look."

Amoeba in Berkeley has the Gary Wilson reish on the wall for a bill. thank god the cover is different.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    it's actually a good record too

fool

who cares? records are made to buy, sell or collect them

• The worst is when you think "Oh, this can't be a reissue" because it's priced so high - only to find out it is! Definition of "not a good look."

Amoeba in Berkeley has the Gary Wilson reish on the wall for a bill. thank god the cover is different.

Haha! Me, about 6 months ago:

me: "yo, there's a Gary Wilson with a red cover?"

friend: "nah, that's a later issue, worth maybe $30 tops."

me: "pfffft. typical"

• Does there exist pre-1973 OGs with the white stock jackets? If so, what labels?

Does there exist pre-1973 OGs with the white stock jackets? If so, what labels?

yes. quite a few labels. Electra was doing them in the late 60's even.

Antilles, motown related shit, electra related labels like nonesuch, MPS, ECM...

The worst is when you think "Oh, this can't be a reissue" because it's priced so high - only to find out it is! Definition of "not a good look."

Haha! Me, about 6 months ago:

me: "yo, there's a Gary Wilson with a red cover?"

friend: "nah, that's a later issue, worth maybe $30 tops."

me: "pfffft. typical"

It's crazy that that reish has been getting 30-50 bucks lately.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Alot of the Alson/Atlantic stuff (Betty Wright, Beginning of the End...) have a white jacket.

Alot of the Alson/Atlantic stuff (Betty Wright, Beginning of the End...) have a white jacket.

yeah, Atlantic. is the OG of Headless Heroes on white stock?

• Does there exist pre-1973 OGs with the white stock jackets? If so, what labels?

yeah, Atlantic. is the OG of Headless Heroes on white stock?

no, its got other atlantic releases on it.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    roy ayers-change up the groove

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I think my copy of The Controllers "In Control" is a repro, as it's got a flimsy white cardboard cover. After purchasing it, I found another one about a month later with a thick brown cardboard cover. I can't imagine why it was repro'd though, since it seems to be a fairly common (but good) album.

SG

• What's a reissue?

re??is??sue Pronunciation (r-sh)
    v. re??is??sued, re??is??su??ing, re??is??sues
    v.tr.
    To issue again, especially to make available again.

used in a sentence:

bigspliff knew that the 3 dollar price tag of the one sided "hercules" 45 record was way too good to be true. it must be a reissue.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What's a reissue?

v.tr.

used in a sentence:

bigspliff knew that the 3 dollar price tag of the one sided "hercules" 45 record was way too good to be true. it must be a reissue.

I almost bought a labi siffre repop once. I hate that shit.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I had a "Sealed" Grodeneck Whipperjenny in my hand at a show not too long ago. Dude wanted $150 bucks. I couldnt get him to verify it was OG or a reish boot. Didnt buy it. Was tempted, but had to pass.

• TONY AIKEN AND FUTURE 2000 "Unity" LP -- found at a great midwest record shop for $6 and had me feeling good until I got it home to find out that someone did an exact reissue (paste on slicks and all). If you look really close, you can see some computer pixilation.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    What's a reissue?

v.tr.

used in a sentence:

Me in a place where they sell 45s of Hercules? What you smoking? This is why I read soulstrut. If I ever find one, it will be og, VG, and covered in ratshit. Anything better's a bonus.

• What's a reissue?

v.tr.

used in a sentence:

bigspliff knew that the 1 dollar price tag on the "funky president" 45 was a bit low, even covered in ratshit.. it must be a reissue.

he knew it was a reissue when faux rills called it a terd.

• i'm very suspicious of my earl van dyke LP. white insides. hmmmm

got burnt 5-6 years back on a showbiz resiiuse of the out the trunk record. $20 too good to be true and it wasnt.

criminal scientifiks. bought two reiisues. why would they reissue that is kinda beyond me, but my shit aint og and im salty

hells belles can be hard to discern.

• What's a reissue?

v.tr.

...so you wont hafta pay $50 for an original with some girl's name written across it