Debit Card Shadiness (Card-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
so i went to karaoke last night with my girl, paid $48 and left. the next day i happened to look at my account balance, and i see "$57.60". was I taken advantage because i didn't write the "total" on the receipt and leaving the "tip" part blank?

i'm gonna wait a couple days, til i see the actual expense description.
but if i this were the case, what's the best way to get my money back?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    so you didn't leave a tip?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    nope.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    nope.

did you have a waiter, waitress or bartender serving you drinks and such?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Sounds about right if you didn't tip dude.

to clear it up a little, you generally don't leave tips in Japan. This is a Japanese karaoke joint (on Sawtelle, Los Angeles), where alcohol was not served. The attendee simply led us to our room and that was it. Tips are usually not given here. But in any case, i'll have to wait a few more days til i find out whether they did in fact add an extra 10 bucks to the charge or not.

This is the second time shit like this has happened. another time recently at a Foodcourt. where i was charged an extra buck for tip at a fast food place...wtf? i talked to my co-worker, and she said i could get it back. but i didn't pursue it.

does shit like this happen on the daily?

note, i haven't been checking my bank statements til recently.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Always write the total you want to be charged in the total blank

Some places have mandatory gratuities, which will usually be listed somewhere in small print (nofastfoodjoint)

Always write the total you want to be charged in the total blank

Some places have mandatory gratuities, which will usually be listed somewhere in small print (nofastfoodjoint)

will do.

thank you for that bit of info.

• Some merchants have their debit/credit card systems set up to automatically add gratuity at the point of sale. It doesn't actually charge that amount, it just adds a percentage to "hold" that money from your account. When it actually clears, you'll be charged the amount you agreed to. Since it's the weekend, your purchase hasn't "hard posted," it's just pending. By Tuesday morning it should all be straightened out.

Trust me, I get paid to explain this type of stuff daily.

Herm

• reskresk 391 Posts
    ive noticed a handful of clubs ive worked at tack on a 20% tip if, 1. you dont write in a total, 2. you forget your card at the club if your started a tab

Some merchants have their debit/credit card systems set up to automatically add gratuity at the point of sale. It doesn't actually charge that amount, it just adds a percentage to "hold" that money from your account. When it actually clears, you'll be charged the amount you agreed to. Since it's the weekend, your purchase hasn't "hard posted," it's just pending. By Tuesday morning it should all be straightened out.

Trust me, I get paid to explain this type of stuff daily.

Herm

i really hope this is the case. as it is a karaoke place i frequent and it has more to do with integrity than money.

just wondering Herm, do you work at a bank or credit card co?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    know what ya mean man. got i cab home from my works christmas party on wednesday and paid with my debit card. I was so tanked i was just glad that i made it home and signed off on the paper work. Thinking back i don't remeber if the total was filled out and now i am freaking...just gotta wait til i get my records back.