Zombies - Odessey and Oracle - THE FUCKING ZOMBIES!!!!

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
"Odessey and Oracle" is such a dope record.

Comments

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    COSIGN

i've been playing this constantly for the past couple weeks.

'this will be our year' is one of my favorite songs of the 60s

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    is there some kind of zombies renansance going on???

that was a dope well loved record back when i first got it 10 years ago... then when the box set came out a few years back it got another round of appreciation...

but lately on here people won't shut up about it!!!! did most of y'all only just find this joint or something?? (i know theres no breaks)

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    admittingly, i only started listening to them last year i guess.. i heard that track that was on the life aquatic soundtrack and became a fan instantly.

admittingly, i only started listening to them last year i guess.. i heard that track that was on the life aquatic soundtrack and became a fan instantly.

ahha wes anderson.

see also The Creation

and that band The Who "dude have you heard this rock opera thing???"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

but lately on here people won't shut up about it!!!! did most of y'all only just find this joint or something?? (i know theres no breaks)

No... I think a lot of people are revisiting it. But really there's no wrong time to "just find this joint".

I have had the material on a Zombies twofer for years... I still need an OG copy.

And I will cosign tremendously.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• is there some kind of zombies renansance going on???

i picked it up like 5 years ago cause i thought it would be fun to play "time of the season" in dj gigs ... and it was. then about a year ago i was checking out all my 60s rock records again and when i put this one on i got my effing gourd destroyed. the whole thing is excellent from start to finish. "care of cell #44" and "beechwood park" are my jaaaaaaaaams.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So it might be interesting to see exactly WHERE this new-found interest in this Album started. I was talking about this record and this phenom. in another thread recently and I think it would be really interesting to see where this new found interest started. Was it some hipster record store clerk in Williamsburg/Silverlake? Was it reviewed in a particuliar magazine or on Pitchfork or something? Does this interest anyone else? I know this album is also getting alot of sweat in musicians circles as well.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So it might be interesting to see exactly WHERE this new-found interest in this Album started. I was talking about this record and this phenom. in another thread recently and I think it would be really interesting to see where this new found interest started. Was it some hipster record store clerk in Williamsburg/Silverlake? Was it reviewed in a particuliar magazine or on Pitchfork or something? Does this interest anyone else? I know this album is also getting alot of sweat in musicians circles as well.

a new strain of malaria had some effect on the most recent new-found interest.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    the zombies revival is ongoing. it's cool to see people discovering things that were revelatory to you when you heard first them...you just forget that not everybody else heard them when you did. imagine picking up "odessey and oracle" when it came out!

i have had two pressings of the lp...there is one with a censored cover, which i got rid of in favor of the full blown version. it's a tough record to find. but you need it on cd too. and the box set is great.

and if colin blunstone and rod argent ever come to your area don't sleep...they still rock. and colin's voice in person, in a club, is simply stunning.

This was a "hipster record" when I got into it 10 years ago.

So it might be interesting to see exactly WHERE this new-found interest in this Album started.

looks like it was already answered...

wes anderson.

'splain please?

This was a "hipster record" when I got into it 10 years ago.

yeah that's what i thought.

i mean EVERYBODY knows that record, Pet Sounds, Forever Changes, Astral Weeks etc etc...

that zombies twofor comp was classic dollar bin material if ever there was some.

but then again there's alot to be said about the power of movies to cement things into popular consiousness...

'splain please?

the song was used in the life acquatic...

anderson is renowned for his soundtrack's.. and he's a huge taste maker for alot of people in that regard.

the fact that that movie came out a few months back and lately we've been seeing nonstop zombies appreciation seems to be more than just a coincidence.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    if anything, ten years ago it was a proto-hipster record. 30 years ago it was just fucking hip.

they had hipsers back then dude.. they were just too busy listening to Shellac and shit.

• As far as I know this record has been highly regarded for quite some time. Maybe it is just recently getting recognition in some circles, I don't know. But, in general, this record has been well respected for a long time.

the Zombies fucked my shit up perminantly. I was like 18 & my friend who was 3 years older got me into them. I started wearing silk scarves & trying to look like Chris White. You could buy paisley shirts for 25 cents back then. dangerous times. Me & my buddy listend to O&O on mushrooms once. it was magical. that "butcher's tale" song came on & and he freaked & hid in his closet for hours. He then thought we had eaten alien bodies, he told me. I passed on my stone mint copy once cause it was $25 - My girlfriend went back & bought it for my birthday present. So, yeah, this is not newly hipster approved.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    So it might be interesting to see exactly WHERE this new-found interest in this Album started. I was talking about this record and this phenom. in another thread recently and I think it would be really interesting to see where this new found interest started.

So are you saying that you're interested to see exactly where the new interest came from for the sake of interest because you're interested to see where the new interest came from?

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

interested to see exactly where the new interest came from for the sake of interest because you're interested to see where the new interest came from?
    yes
    interested to see exactly where the new interest came from for the sake of interest because you're interested to see where the new interest came from?
    no

kind of

Im kind of interested to see where, culutrally, "resurgence's of interest" come from. Intersting that Wes Anderson's name came up. I guess there are some taste makers in society right now. Who are they do you think? In 'undergound' circles, I guess its sometimes labels reissuing lost obscure private press stuff (Stones Throw-Gary Wilson, Choc Industries- Thrust, etc) The mechaniations of culutral taste always fascinate me. In Mass Culture, its not difficult to figure out why Nsync or Toby Keith are playing well, but I when I see things filtering down to 'strutters, I get a little curious.

• So are you saying that you're interested to see exactly where the new interest came from for the sake of interest because you're interested to see where the new interest came from?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I agree that Wes Anderson is probably the reason for people checking for the Zombies. Kinda like Nick Drake too. Did anyone remember who Nick Drake was 10-15 years ago? I bet you could get his records for 5 or 10 bucks not long ago. Not the case anymore. When is Emmitt Rhodes gonna catch on? He had a track on the Royal Tenenbaums ost didn't he? In an ideal world, the billions of Beatles fans out there would at least have heard of Emmitt Rhodes.

Anyways I've loved the Zombies for years. Give me odyssey and oracle over pet sounds any day of the week.

• If I was in a garage band, I would want it to be called the Fucking Zombies, copyright laws be damned.

So it might be interesting to see exactly WHERE this new-found interest in this Album started.

looks like it was already answered...

wes anderson.

I don't know about the rest of you fucking morons but I learned about this record through old head rock dudes.

I don't like the attitude in this thread

bye

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was pissed like 1 1/2 years ago I got outbid on Zombies Odyssey LP for $13. Now it's like a $30 record on 'Bay. I didn't connect Steve Zissou with it (that movie was weak).
    T.N.

I was pissed like 1 1/2 years ago I got outbid on Zombies Odyssey LP for $13. Now it's like a $30 record on 'Bay. I didn't connect Steve Zissou with it (that movie was weak).
    T.N.

I don't know what auctions you've been watching but the OG cover has been more than a $30 record for a number of years now.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I guess I missed out on a steal ...