to master or not to master your mix cd's

ayoayo 44 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
im on protools and 80% done with my first official mix cd. is it worthwhile to get mastered in a studio or should i just mix it myself on protools? My question is how much of a difference does mastering the cd make?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    im on protools and 80% done with my first official mix cd. is it worthwhile to get mastered in a studio or should i just mix it myself on protools? My question is how much of a difference does mastering the cd make?

Makes a HUGE difference son! Levels are even, bass and low end is hittin', sounds MUCH better. That said, lots of people do not master mix CDs. It just depends what kind of sound you are going for. If it is an Old School hip-hop mix and you want an "Old School" sound, I would not worry about mastering it. If it is a lot of non hip-hop music I would master it. Good mastering is a little expensive so plaese be aware of that. $200 to $300 an hour is pretty standard.

• For a mix CD I'd say fuckit do it yourself. I mean all you really need is to make sure your levels are concistent. All the shit on there was mastered already once...

• I have a related question...

I have a couple of mix CDs already done that I would like to have professionally replicated/copied with printed covers or maybe digipaks.

Is it difficult to find a place that will do this if I obviously do not have clearance on all the cuts/samples?

I see that a lot of online places make a point of stating that they will not do the work without sample clearance. Are there any places you all can hip me to where this isn't a problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Peace.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have a related question...

I have a couple of mix CDs already done that I would like to have professionally replicated/copied with printed covers or maybe digipaks.

Is it difficult to find a place that will do this if I obviously do not have clearance on all the cuts/samples?

I see that a lot of online places make a point of stating that they will not do the work without sample clearance. Are there any places you all can hip me to where this isn't a problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Peace.

It is getting difficult to find places that will duplicate these if they know the rights are not cleared. Also be aware that digipaks are nice, but very expensive.

• Unless you're selling the mix it's not the best move to spend that much on mastering.

I usually fix up some tracks that stand out sonically (in a bad way),

EQ a bit & limit a little. Perhaps also throw on a tubesimulator to make the entire thing sound bigger...

After all it really depends on the style..

Avoid too much compression! Always do before/after listening checks (one-click in wavelab )to make sure you dont make it worse than it was!

• mastering is most definitely recommended when it comes to tracks you have recorded on multitrack...but we are talking about a mix cd of tracks that were already mastered and released so it's a different ballgame.

of course not all of the records on your mix were mastered the same so there is going to be a need for some tweaking. but try it yourself. use your ears and critically listen and make notes of things that stick out...levels, pops, eq discrepencies, etc. trust your ears! then try to manually fix those issues so that your ears don't notice them. if you reach this point, you are in the clear. anybody listening on a whim will not notice the minuteia you are picking up on when being hyper-critical.

you can still go a step further if you have any decent pro-tools plug-ings like the Paz Frequency Analyzer...run your mix through that and you can see where you have issues along the frequency spectrum and any phasing issues. how you fix them is up to you...not sure if the Paz only analyzes or if it has the capability to fix these problems. if i remember correctly you can use it as a frequency compressor on your stereo mix and that might smooth things out a bit and make it pump a little more evenly frequency-wise. if you have big pops in level you can run the stereo mix through a good stereo compressor.

try to error on the lite side when doing processing like this though, you don't want to suck the life out of your mix with a digital compressor...especially if it's a crap one like an rtas...if you have some waves plug-ins those should be fine.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    How do you do your mixes, on protools or turntables?

• Peep these guys - I had them master something for me and it came out good. Whole cd for $99. Can't beat that price! Good quality too.

http://www.masterbymail.com

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Normally I'd say fuck it, don't master your shit. But I recently got a mixcd in the mail and throughout the whole mix I noticed dudes songs sounded better, crisper, louder and fuller - I asked him what he did and he said he mastered it using protools and it made a HUGE difference. By far, it was the best sounding mixcd i've ever heard... If you have the means or $$$ - I'd say get it mastered.

• If anybody here is looking for a very inexpensive route to get their CD at least as loud as it can be and as hard as it can be without spending $300+, hit me up, that's one of my specialties. I can pump the levels of a mix so that everything (dpendant upon how even your levels are to start with) is pumped up. I've done several underground hip hop albums and mix CDs in the past. I don't charge much. Anywhere from $50 to $125 depending on what shape the mix is in when I get it. So if any of you are interested in this, please let me know.

[email]guntherb@freshsites.com[/email]
    myspace.com/guntherbeats

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    If you're putting it out yourself and you're already using ProTools I'd suggest just getting Waves Mastering Suite (hell, get everything by Waves) off of Limewire and messing with the C4 Multiband Compressor to the L2 Limiter.
    Works wonders.

• Huge co-sign. Be a BIG DUDE and make your shit sound right. Thankfully I've had homies hook me with some pro-tool compression and what not and it helps.

Plus if you're selling your stuff to distro, sending it out to reviews, and just want it to be seen as something serious you have to go the extra step. Same goes for artwork, have someone dope do it (HI MIKE 2600!) and boom...you're a frickin' millionaire with buckets of chandon being held by bikini clad babes.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    How do you do your mixes, on protools or turntables?
    I just do it live straight from my turntables to audacity or protools on my laptop, then I lightly compress & then amplify the entire mix soundfile to get some consistency amongst loud & quiet pressings, then bounce it down to whatever format I want. Of course, I'm not a beat matching hip-hop DJ & when I use the word mix I'm basically referring to soul/funk 45 blends.