Producers that Never Blew Up?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Hey,I was wondering, did you ever notice producers (some of which were DJs) that produced dope tracks, but never got consistent production work? As a result, some very talented producers never blew up as large as they should of, or at all. Some cats I can think of off top are (in no particular order):-Mista Cee ("Give it to Me" was dope).-Latief ("Jeep Ass Nigga" remix, "Late Model Sedan", "Soul Controller", etc.).-Nic Wiz (his work on Cella Dwellas first joint was nice).-Lord Digga/Witchdoc ("Realm Three", Masta Ace joints like "Jeep Ass Nigga", etc.).-V.I.C. (two nice tracks on Artifacts 2nd joint, "Ya Don't Stop" on The Beatnuts first LP, etc.).-Godfather Don (he laced a number of tracks on Ultramagnetic's "Four Horsemen").-Cool V (did some nice work for Grandaddy I.U., Diamond Shell, etc.).-Minnesota ("Funk Soul Sensation" for Jemini, "Amazing" and "2000" for Puba, "Do it Again" for Sadat, etc.).-T-Ray (laced the Artifacts 1st LP, nice work with Cypress, etc.).-Chyskills (duded owned "Bacdafucup" production-wise; Incredibly dope, the reason why I bought the LP).Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i read somewhere that t-ray stopped producing because of the industry bs,not so much because of the lack of work.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hey,

I was wondering, did you ever notice producers (some of which were DJs) that produced dope tracks, but never got consistent production work? As a result, some very talented producers never blew up as large as they should of, or at all. Some cats I can think of off top are (in no particular order):

-Mista Cee ("Give it to Me" was dope).
    -Latief ("Jeep Ass Nigga" remix, "Late Model Sedan", "Soul Controller", etc.).
    -Nic Wiz (his work on Cella Dwellas first joint was nice).
    -Lord Digga/Witchdoc ("Realm Three", Masta Ace joints like "Jeep Ass Nigga", etc.).
    -V.I.C. (two nice tracks on Artifacts 2nd joint, "Ya Don't Stop" on The Beatnuts first LP, etc.).
    -Godfather Don (he laced a number of tracks on Ultramagnetic's "Four Horsemen").
    -Cool V (did some nice work for Grandaddy I.U., Diamond Shell, etc.).
    -Minnesota ("Funk Soul Sensation" for Jemini, "Amazing" and "2000" for Puba, "Do it Again" for Sadat, etc.).
    -T-Ray (laced the Artifacts 1st LP, nice work with Cypress, etc.).
    -Chyskills (duded owned "Bacdafucup" production-wise; Incredibly dope, the reason why I bought the LP).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

T-Ray gets a lot of mentions on these lists

Minnesota laced up most of that last Mos Def and that Sadat X EP that dropped a couple years ago. didn't know he did that Jemini track...

• t-ray is still producing, i think he does mainly rock shit now and i want to say he has something to do ozomatli.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NO ID............Chicago.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    t-ray is still producing, i think he does mainly rock shit now and i want to say he has something to do ozomatli.
    what groups has he worked with?thats crazy.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Another flower crushed in my private mind garden, I thought 2000 was all Puba.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Its a muthaf**ckin shame. Excellent producer. Does anyone have his solo recording (grey cover)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

i was listening to flex last night + elliot from xxl was saying how no id did the bowow track with omorian.jd was trying to co-opt that by saying 'so so def' at the begining of the track.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Another flower crushed in my private mind garden, I thought 2000 was all Puba.

Nope, Mark Sparks, Minnesota, Alamo, and Puba handled the production on "2000". Co-shizzle on No I.D.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Its a muthaf**ckin shame. Excellent producer. Does anyone have his solo recording (grey cover)

Do u mean the original BLACK ALBUM.

• t-ray is still producing, i think he does mainly rock shit now and i want to say he has something to do ozomatli.
    what groups has he worked with?thats crazy.

I want to say he was working with Fred Durst or some such. He basically did what he did, he's in LA doing rock shit caking out and is still ill with the records from all accounts. Dude is a boss.

Minnesota's still around. He just does street shit, more liable to hear him on a mixtape of some BX rapper than on an indie 12".

Most of the others either never got it together or just fell by the wayside. it's tough to be continuously successful in this game. You have to have the right people around you.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i was listening to flex last night + elliot from xxl was saying how no id did the bowow track with omorian.jd was trying to co-opt that by saying 'so so def' at the begining of the track.

Hilarious... he did a track on BP2, also, and for some reason I want to say he did something for G-Unit, but I don't remember for certain.

• Yeah No ID is still in the game too.

This thread should be called "Why don't they make underground rap records anymore" lol

Hilarious... he did a track on BP2, also, and for some reason I want to say he did something for G-Unit, but I don't remember for certain.

I like how Kwame has been able to reemerge.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

He also did a hot joint on "Pretty Toney" too. I liked his production on his "Accept Your Own and Be Yourself "Black Album)" but the rhymin' was

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I think he also contributed to Snoop's Paid the Cost... album...

• EZ El-P is a cat who I always thought had sick beats and laced alot of Queens cats with ill album cuts, but he never gets a mention.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

the original BLACK ALBUM.
    is this a cd raer?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

-Nic Wiz (his work on Cella Dwellas first joint was nice).
    SHIT YES!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Yes i must have seen a b&w pic. almost got my hands on that. Supposedly excellent

EZ El-P is a cat who I always thought had sick beats and laced alot of Queens cats with ill album cuts, but he never gets a mention.

"BLOODY MONEY"!!!!!!! One of my favorite joints by dude. Great mention!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah No ID is still in the game too.

This thread should be called "Why don't they make underground rap records anymore" lol

Cats will stay in the game but will they ever "BLOW UP". Household name status??

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Dug infinite
    Masta Ace's beautiful was just that

This seems interesting

Yes i must have seen a b&w pic. almost got my hands on that. Supposedly excellent

It's not excellent. Like Stacks stated, the rhymes are and the beats are
    Ressurection-like. I have the wax which sounds kinda low.

Yeah No ID is still in the game too.

Cats will stay in the game but will they ever "BLOW UP". Household name status??

No offense, but No ID has never made household name status music. I like a lot of what he's done, but he's never been responsible for a "Drop It Like It's Hot" or a "Lean Back". He's not a hit maker.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Dug infinite

This seems interesting
    Dug Infinite did not produce 'Beautiful', he produced the first song on that album.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Dug infinite

This seems interesting
    Dug Infinite did not produce 'Beautiful', he produced the first song on that album.

Oh yeah that city track (i love that thing, big bounce!) yeah beutiful is some european guy
    mix up

Dug infinite

This seems interesting

...which, I must say, was quite DOPE!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Both these cats need to blow up soon...