CLASSIC ROCK SOUL COVERS?

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
So I'm in the middle of doing XMAS MIXES for people...

I had this idea for a friend who is really into Elton John, to make her a mix of covers of his songs by various people. So far I've only come up with these:

Chosen Few - Daniel
Yvonne Gray - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Are there any more floating around out there? Also, anything else within the "classic rock genre" is acceptable...

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I was listening to young, gifted and black by aretha franklinthe other day. The last track, border song (holy moses) was written by Elton John. I don't know if he ever recorded it. Does that count?

• I was listening to young, gifted and black by aretha franklinthe other day. The last track, border song (holy moses) was written by Elton John. I don't know if he ever recorded it. Does that count?

Most definitely...Thanks Primecuts!

• the klaus weiss orchestra made a cover of elton john's "the cage" on the "i just want to celebrate" LP

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

Lani Hall sings "Tiny Dancer" on the s/t lp that has "Love Song."

Good album.

• Just realized Billy Paul does a version of "Your Song" on 360 degress of...

Apparently the Dells also covered "Your Song" on the album I TOUCHED A DREAM from 1980...Anyone have this?

• Anyone have the Jose Feliciano LP "THAT SPIRIT THAT NEEDS" from '71? Which has "Border Song" and "Take Me to the Pilot"?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Lee Moses "Hey Joe" is pretty epic

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts

Bo Diddley covered "Bad Side of the Moon" on Another Dimension. He also covered a couple of CCR tunes and one by The Band too. Maybe too many Bo tunes for one mix though...

• Bo Diddley covered "Bad Side of the Moon" on Another Dimension. He also covered a couple of CCR tunes and one by The Band too. Maybe too many Bo tunes for one mix though...

Bo Diddley could arguably be considered a rock musician, but I know that he's definitely not soul

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts

Bo Diddley covered "Bad Side of the Moon" on Another Dimension. He also covered a couple of CCR tunes and one by The Band too. Maybe too many Bo tunes for one mix though...

Bo Diddley could arguably be considered a rock musician, but I know that he's definitely not soul

Oops -- sorry! I still think it would be a worthy addition to a mix...it's a little soulful

• Bo Diddley covered "Bad Side of the Moon" on Another Dimension. He also covered a couple of CCR tunes and one by The Band too. Maybe too many Bo tunes for one mix though...

Oops -- sorry! I still think it would be a worthy addition to a mix...it's a little soulful

Dude is definitely soulful, I was just being nitpicky.

• Rotary Connection covered numerous classic rock songs like Lady Jane, Like A Rolling Stone, Ruby Tuesday, The Weight, Sunshine Of Your Love, Burning Of The Midnight Lamp, Tales Of Brave Ulysses, Salt Of The Earth... Whether or not Rotary Connection is a "soul" band kind of depends on the individual, I guess.

• the klaus weiss orchestra made a cover of elton john's "the cage" on the "i just want to celebrate" LP

Does anyone have this? Let's do an MP3 swap...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Natalie Cole does a good cover of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on her LIVE lp.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Aretha's version of "the Weight" absolutely kills it, Duane Allman on guitar, too.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Syreeta's cover of She's Leaving Home is worth it for the Wonder vocoder action alone.

• Syreeta's cover of She's Leaving Home is worth it for the Wonder vocoder action alone.

Are we getting into Beatles/John Lennon territory now?

Then I have to add Donny Hathaway's "Jealous Guy" to the mix...HE ABSOLUTELY KILLED THAT SHIT.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Buddy Miles: "Down by the River"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nina Simone - The Pusher
    Julie Driscoll - Season of the Witch
    Lou Rawls - Season of the Witch
    Spanky Wilson - Sunshine of Your Love
    Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter
    Ike and Tina - Whole Lotta Love
    Ike and Tine - Honky Tonk Woman

• Nina Simone - The Pusher
    Julie Driscoll - Season of the Witch
    Lou Rawls - Season of the Witch
    Spanky Wilson - Sunshine of Your Love
    Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter
    Ike and Tina - Whole Lotta Love
    Ike and Tine - Honky Tonk Woman

Nice.

• Gladys Knight- Feelin Alright

• Aretha's version of "the Weight" absolutely kills it, Duane Allman on guitar, too.

Which reminds me of one I should've thought of right off: "Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett, with Duane Allman on guitar as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There are some great Neil Young covers - "Heart of Gold" by Bettye Lavette on Atco, "Southern Man" by Merry Clayton on her 1st LP, Undisputed Truth do a great "Down by the River" on Cosmic Truth, and I saw a Meters comp that has a previously unissued version of "Down by the River" by them, too.

Brenton Wood actually covers "Psychotic Reaction" on his Oogum Boogum LP, although he basically just does this kind of scat-version over the original Count Five backing track, which is mixed way down low, so it isn't anywhere near as good as it sounds like it should be.

• Which reminds me of one I should've thought of right off: "Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett, with Duane Allman on guitar as well.

this recorded moment is considered the birth of southern rock

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Which reminds me of one I should've thought of right off: "Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett, with Duane Allman on guitar as well.

Which reminds me of one I should've thought of right off: "Born to Be Wild" by Wilson Pickett, with Duane Allman on guitar as well.

Which reminds me of one I should've thought of right off: "Hey Joe" by Wilson Pickett, with Duane Allman on guitar as well.

• Moments -- "Rocky Raccoon"

Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band ??? Whole Lotta Love

Latimore - For What It???s Worth (slowed down to about -4) ??? totally does justice to the original, the background singers give me chills

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the Isley's "givin' it back" lp has like infinity dope rock covers. their versions of "spill the wine", and "Ohio" are

I'll try & think of some 'mo...

• Dennis Coffey ??? Whole Lotta Love

the Isley's "givin' it back" lp has like infinity dope rock covers. their versions of "spill the wine", and "Ohio" are

I'll try & think of some 'mo...

Summer Breeze by the Isley Bros. rules too.